User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,382
Myanmar crossing overland from India?

Has anyone heard of someone trying it recently?

I've heard of organized tours going on. But not of anyone crossing solo from India.
I haven't even heard of anyone giving it a try.

What about crossing overland into Burma on a Chinese bike from China?
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
bush pilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,382
I guess I answered my own question a bit with the google lucky search and came up with a Dr Frazier article on riding around Burma or more like not really being able to ride around Burma.
He gave it the old college try.
The military there have a terrible choke hold on that poor country.
It's will likely not chance anytime soon.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/284/14...ugh-Burma.aspx
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Burma is not the wild west americans think it is. It is a fairly popular budget vacation destination for thailand expats and the Chinese. Visa and all that jazz are a piece of cake to get. Zero problems unless it is very close to 'election' time there. In border areas like Thaichek (mentioned in the link) they even have special permit schemes that let people enter the country for short period of time with no visas. People can cross with their scooters, that's for sure.

Basically, you can fly there and you will be just fine. No worries at all. The problems start if you want to travel through their internal problem zones where peace with local groups is very fragile to say the least. That is why it is hard to ride a bike there.

I might try their border in 2 months or so, but it is unlikely they will let a bike in. I wonder if I get a visa prior -on a non-usa pasport- show up at the border and don't mention or draw attention to the bike, if they will let it pass... but more importantly how hrd will it be to get through police checks once inside...
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
My reply is not clear in this, but I would like to cross from india as well...
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
yempaul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
My reply is not clear in this, but I would like to cross from india as well...
Did the Tachilek run with my Singapore registered bike ... but that was as far as we could get ... A lot of enquiries were done to travel further but to no avail. Still trying to get some people in Yangon to help out.

Even so, as i was informed, any visitors entering border of Tachileik will have their passports retained and returned when they exit the same border. I had a valid visa obtained in Singapore and still had my passport kept by the customs when entering the border.

A special permit issued by MTT( Ministry of Trade and Tourism ) will probably get your further but it seems they issue them once every 100 years.

Anyway, here's my link

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-mot...ound-Tachileik
yempaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,038
Never heard of anyone ever making a (legal) overland trip between India and Burma. Even so, lot's of difficult to obtain permits required on the Indian side of the Burmese border as well. That area in India is a bit of a special zone.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
milesforsmiles
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Myanmar overland

Not sure if this thread is still being monitored (I have a techno hatred, only on this bloody interwebby to drum up support for my charity project!), however anyone interested in overlanding across Myanmar (Burma) log into www.milesforsmiles.org.au

We have just received special permission for our charity project to enter through Tamu in the west and exit through Myawady in the East. Our charity Interplast have a great history in Myanmar and this has helped us gain the permission we had hoped for. And before anyone asks....it took us 12 months!

www.milesforsmiles.org.au
milesforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote