Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 477
Bump... is no one using a lowering link on their S10?
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:05 AM   #17
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I don't see why everyone feels a need to flatfoot a bike. It becomes a non issue after you ride it around for a couple of days. Anyway 5'8 30" inseam and I can almost flatfoot my tenere, I may raise the seat to the high position for some extra legroom for my shoddy knees.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

The reason I want to be able to touch enough of both feet down on any bike I ride is so I don't fall at low/no speed.

Why would others want to do this? I think it comes down to skill/experience. I've only been riding for a little over a year, and while I am comfortable on my CRF230L dual sport and on my DN-01 street bike, the fact that both of these motorcycles had low enough seats so that I felt comfortable on them was a huge factor in my deciding to buy them AND in my learning and skill development. I rarely stop now on difficult conditions, instead I have learned how to pick my path as I approach a difficult condition and then ride through it.

However, stopping in conditions where traction is limited (wet road, off-camber road, gravel road) often leads to falls. It's not just me, look at the 'sleeping S10' thread. I don't like to unnecessarily scratch and dent my motorcycles.

I'll probably order the factory extra-low seat and try it first, and if that is insufficient I'll install the lowering link, and that's how I'll ride until I get used to the bike. A lot easier on it, and on me, to not fall. After all, isn't this the approach you used by having your seat in the low position initially?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGD View Post
I'm interested in the Super Tenere, but I'm concerned about the seat height. I have a 30 inch inseam, and bad knees. I can flat foot a Stelvio, touch my toes on a Buell or KTM, and My feet don't come close on the BMW GS. Anyone have any experience on the Super T vs. the others. I'd hate to put the money down and not be able to touch. I HATE THIS ORDER WITHOUT SEEING Sh&T!
Just go with the Stelvio then and be happy!

1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Sat on one a deal last week. Not to bad. I have a solid 29inch inseam. I'm a little short in my quads which makes it harder to have a wide seat. I was on the balls of my feet. I think that I would make the seat a little more narrow in the front and about a .5 inches out in height and it would be just about right.

A little tall does not really bother me that much. About the same as my Wee (stock not lowered). I'm pretty sure the Yamaha seat was in the lowe position. If I could lower the bike an inch it would like work very well, but not sure I would want to do that. If not I would ride it stock. Not to badn and I'm used to it. I would hate to lower the seat much since my knee position would suffer. I do like my bars high anyway. My buddy jumped from his YZ to my KTM and he commented that he felt like it had ape hangers (stock bars with a GPR under bar damper).
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
klebs01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
my DN-01 street bike
Someone actually bought one of those?
klebs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
Bump... is no one using a lowering link on their S10?
I bought mine that way. 10mm lower all round. Feels like riding an S10. I have the seat in the high position.

It will be going back to standard once I get some time but I tend to want to ride it more than play in the garage. (shed).

These bikes are bad like that.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Quote:
Originally Posted by klebs01 View Post
Someone actually bought one of those?
Yep... and it's actually a pretty good bike especially since I paid less than half retail for a NOS holdover at the dealer. They should have put the drivetrain in the Deauville 700.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #24
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc46 View Post
I don't see why everyone feels a need to flatfoot a bike. It becomes a non issue after you ride it around for a couple of days. Anyway 5'8 30" inseam and I can almost flatfoot my tenere, I may raise the seat to the high position for some extra legroom for my shoddy knees.
I don't need to get both feet flat on the ground as I have more than enough experience to ride the Tenere on Pavement. I want both feet flat to facilitate my lady hopping on behind me. I'm not a very big guy & can easily be pulled over while having someone hop on the pillion seat. If I purchase the Tenere or the new 1200 Triumph it will be purely a street bike for me as my dirt skills SUCK

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #25
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
If I purchase the Tenere or the new 1200 Triumph it will be purely a street bike for me as my dirt skills SUCK
If you are only doing street then all the cool technology and biases in the S10 may be a bit of a waste. Unless you just like it that is.

But if you do go off road on the S10 (lets just call off road, not tarmac and pretty bad surface) you will not SUCK. It's built to be an easy bike to use off road, but to make it work well off road it has a few compromises that make it less of a sports bike on road, if you get my drift.

Many people ride a street oriented bike (generally quick steering and top endy kind of power) which translates to a real handful off road, but doable.

Believe me, I was you in a previous life..

I finally figured out that the Euro testers put a lot of emphasis on "sports bike criteria" and not much on "off road". It turns out that the Tenere is very easy to ride off road as is the KTM's. Lots less sleeping problems than Stroms, When they do have a nap yes they are a bit harder, but not as hard as you may think, to pick up. (it's got to do with leverage and where the weight sits)

But if you are anything like me you won't be 100% convinced until you experience it for yourself.

If you don't want to do any off road at all and can't be persuaded then I think the Triumph, assuming it doesn't start having issues will be a more street biased bike with less compromises, as is the CrosstTourer (which I understand you don't get).

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 01:09 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #26
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
If you are only doing street then all the cool technology and biases in the S10 may be a bit of a waste. Unless you just like it that is.

But if you do go off road on the S10 (lets just call off road, not tarmac and pretty bad surface) you will not SUCK. It's built to be an easy bike to use off road, but to make it work well off road it has a few compromises that make it less of a sports bike on road, if you get my drift.

Many people ride a street oriented bike (generally quick steering and top endy kind of power) which translates to a real handful off road, but doable.

Believe me, I was you in a previous life..

I finally figured out that the Euro testers put a lot of emphasis on "sports bike criteria" and not much on "off road". It turns out that the Tenere is very easy to ride off road as is the KTM's. Lots less sleeping problems than Stroms, When they do have a nap yes they are a bit harder, but not as hard as you may think, to pick up. (it's got to do with leverage and where the weight sits)

But if you are anything like me you won't be 100% convinced until you experience it for yourself.

If you don't want to do any off road at all and can't be persuaded then I think the Triumph, assuming it doesn't start having issues will be a more street biased bike with less compromises, as is the CrosstTourer (which I understand you don't get).
I've been fortunate enough to have a friend let me ride his brand new Tenere & I will say it's a sweet bike. My main issues are the height, the buffetting from the screen and too much room on the seat (I'd need bar backs or risers to bring the bars back to me). If I purchase either of the bikes, my current Strom will be shod with better tires for gravel surfaces and keep a set of rims with street tires for when friends visit.

The weight of the bike in & of itself doesn't bother me and I can pick up my Wee Strom with a full load by myself (yes I know the techniques needed) My one complaint with the Wee Strom is a serious lack of alternator output fror heated gear for my lady. The Triumph solves that issue in spades

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I ride 2 up and can't flat foot. Not really a bad deal. I just make sure when she gets on I'm ready. If she uses her left foot first I make sure my left foot is down and that I have a good grip on the bars and I'm ready to hold the bike up. I usually puts he left foot on the rear peg and right hand on my shoulder than then gets on. I can easly get one foot down. In heavy stop and go traffic it would be nice to have a bike that I could flat foot, but that is the only time that I could see needing it.
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #28
TexasDave
Kawasaki Kamikaze

Oddometer: 27
5'7".. one in lowering links, and low seat.. flat footed on my STen..
Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #29
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
With all these lowering links mentioned, I need to ask:
Is there a raising link available?
I'm 6'-5" with 36" inseam and installing lower pegs without losing clearance sounds mighty fine to me.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #30
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 341
I have a 29" inseam, also a little short on the quad so wide seats and bikes makes it harder for me.

I sat on a kitted-up Tenere, which had the factory low seat, at the past Long Beach Motorcycle Show. I thought it was fantastic and the low seat definitely allowed me to be more sure-footed with both feet. I don't think I was completely flat-footing it but definitely close for both feet at the same time. I would feel even more confident in the rough if I could get my GSA in that seat-height comfort level.

I'm confident, no matter what your height, with the proper skill level and experience, one can get used to any seat-height (within reason of course). The only bike that really gave me trouble in the beginning was a stock XR650.....man, even though it's narrow, that seat height is TALL!!!! Dropped it a few times, especially in the rough, but eventually got used to it. I just had to plan way ahead when coming to a stop on uneven ground.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote