Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbuckrider View Post
On my compressors that took 5 gallons of oil and more I did it regularly.

You have compressors that take 5 gallons of oil? As in air compressor?
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,949
So most of us seem to agree - we'd pass on scoots with more than modest mileage but recognize any well maintained scoot could have a lot of life left.

My Silverwing has 17K and I've got to decide soon if I'm gonna keep it for the long haul - and maintain it well - or sell it and buy another with lower mileage. This is my 4th and I've been flipping a lot of scoots like that - buy, put on some mileage and sell 'em - and haven't had to deal with any major service issues. In the long run I don't think it's expensive to do this since I never pay for service on them.

I think if I keep the SWing for another 10K that it will be tough to sell.

Thanks for the opinions fellas!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
Quote:
It would cost me about 2 dollars less to have my oil analyzed that to change the oil and filter. On my compressors that took 5 gallons of oil and more I did it regularly.
You don't have to have your oil analyzed ever time you reach your 1000 miles oil change interval or what ever your low interval is, do it just once to see if you really need to change your oil that often.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
lowbuckrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
You have compressors that take 5 gallons of oil? As in air compressor?
High pressure, high flow natural gas compressor used for fueling vehicles. 5000 psi @ 500 cfpm
lowbuckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I recently passed on a 1986 Helix with 20,000 miles for $1,200. The bike looked and ran great, but after a thorough inspection, I determined the bike to need a full brake job, shocks (front and rear were VERY soft), fuel pump (leaking from rust), and there was visible rust in many areas (a sign of improper storage). This bike also leaked oil from the telltale water pump weep hole - a major red flag (this is a very time consuming and costly repair). If the bike were in better overall condition (no rust, and well cared for), I'd gladly pay that much. Alternatively, if it were $600 cheaper, I would have considered it in as-is condition. I wound up buying a 1987 Elite 150 for $1,000; the difference is, this bike has a proven service history, was garage-kept, and only has 1,200 miles on the clock.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
I was thinking about this "high mileage" question. Is it better to buy a high mileage scooter that the owner used the scooter on a regular basis and properly maintained the scooter or a scooter that the owner bought, rode it a while and then stopped riding it, parked it under a tarp and is selling it?

I know if you go the extremes of these two the garage queen is a better scoot. Machines that are used and properly cared for by a passionate scooterist may not have the dry seals and gaskets due to disuse by a non-passionate owner.

I think there is no cut and dry answer to this question.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Now, regarding the Elite 150 I was buying... LOW mileage 1987 (1200 miles), the bike was properly stored, and only ridden on dry Sundays (no rust or corrosion to be found anywhere!), after a thorough inspection, I found the following; all oil seals leaking, coolant seal leaking on water pump, and the crankcase was FILLED with gasoline from a stuck fuel petcock. So, the moral? even time has its toll. And to add insult to injury, the seller was a TOTAL dickhead about it.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #23
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Forget mileage - personally I don't like bikes that have been sitting any length of time. Too much dries out or the oil sinks leaving areas with no lube and no protection. Internal metal could be rusted.

I see ads on CL all the time - 10 year old bike with 1000 miles on it. People wanting top dollar claiming it "like new". No way. 10 year old tires got to go, rubber hoses and seals - probably gone. Wouldn't want it for free.

In 2000 I bought a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast with about 5K on it. Then I decided a 10 year old bike was too old and would have too many problems. My friend from California wanted it so he flew to NJ and rode it home. Today it has well over 100K on it. lol You never know but all you do is go by the odds. To me, high mileage scoots aren't worth owning. But each of us has a different opinion on what a high mileage scoot might be.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Forget mileage - personally I don't like bikes that have been sitting any length of time. Too much dries out or the oil sinks leaving areas with no lube and no protection. Internal metal could be rusted.

I see ads on CL all the time - 10 year old bike with 1000 miles on it. People wanting top dollar claiming it "like new". No way. 10 year old tires got to go, rubber hoses and seals - probably gone. Wouldn't want it for free.

In 2000 I bought a 1990 Honda Pacific Coast with about 5K on it. Then I decided a 10 year old bike was too old and would have too many problems. My friend from California wanted it so he flew to NJ and rode it home. Today it has well over 100K on it. lol You never know but all you do is go by the odds. To me, high mileage scoots aren't worth owning. But each of us has a different opinion on what a high mileage scoot might be.
The Pacific Coast is/was one hell of a motorcycle. I had two 1990 PCs that ran and ran forever.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #25
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
High pressure, high flow natural gas compressor used for fueling vehicles. 5000 psi @ 500 cfpm

Ok that makes sense I just thought an air compressor that used 5 gallons of oil would have to be huge.

And yes, regarding old bikes with low miles I tend to agree. The old Elites that sat need a big restoration before becoming decently reliable again.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #26
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

So, on this topic - I put my 2009 HD200 on CL for sale. It has 5500 miles and the first and only response I get is from someone saying "Gee, that's an awful lot of mileage for a 2009".

Point - what's low mileage to you and me may be high mileage to others.

Think I'm put my Silverwing up for sale soon. (17K miles), and buy another one with lower miles.

One of my friends buys a low mileage, used SWing every other year in the fall, when prices are lower. Then, come the next Spring he sells his older one. This way he is always riding a lower mileage scoot and it doesn't cost him much.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #27
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
So, on this topic - I put my 2009 HD200 on CL for sale. It has 5500 miles and the first and only response I get is from someone saying "Gee, that's an awful lot of mileage for a 2009".

Point - what's low mileage to you and me may be high mileage to others.

Think I'm put my Silverwing up for sale soon. (17K miles), and buy another one with lower miles.

One of my friends buys a low mileage, used SWing every other year in the fall, when prices are lower. Then, come the next Spring he sells his older one. This way he is always riding a lower mileage scoot and it doesn't cost him much.

Wow! Thats nothing for a 2 year old scooter! I put over 10,000 miles on my Elite 150 in the last 1 1/2, and that doesn't include the full summer without a good engine, and the 2 months and other weekends of downtime!

But I don't see a reason not to do what your doing. I wouldn't do it myself, but if thats what works for you do it! I guess if you ride a lot and your good with buying and selling it won't be a bad idea.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #28
Crna63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Jersey biker, let me know when you are ready to part with the s-wing.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #29
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,498
I ve put 8000 miles on my scooter in a year. Most bikes died not from mileage but from sitting and someone shitting on doing the upkeep. That and getting hit by cars. I ve seen bike that are worth cash todate buy someone just left it outside and now they aren't worth even the sum of the parts.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 08:50 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #30
THE_SHRUB
Potted plant

Oddometer: 105
In the 25 years My poor little Elite 150 has existed, it has seen a mere 1720 miles put on her... The things been neglected for so long. In fact, I'm sure it has been in storage for longer than I've been alive!! Fortunately the fact she's seen little to no action simply means that I now get to enjoy the 150 all for myself! I'll be doing a 100 km round trip daily on the bike 3 times a week to get to and from campus, but first I need to get all the mechanical gremlins sorted out before ANY riding can be accomplished!

I'm interested to see how long my elite 150 goes before it's time for an engine swap! Only time will tell!
THE_SHRUB is offline   Reply With Quote