User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #46
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
high mileage bike

Not exactly related to the OP's question, but I bought an '03 KLR250 a few years ago with 25,000 miles on it. Normally I'd never buy a bike or scooter that had that kind of mileage, but the guy was the original owner, he was about 55 years old, and he told me he'd used it strictly for commuting to his job for the past five years. He said he'd changed the oil faithfully, and that the bike had never failed him.

Against my better judgement, I bought the bike. It's turned out to be one of the best bikes I've ever owned. I've changed all of the fluid and filters, replaced the chain and sprockets, replaced the front brake pads and tires, and cleaned and lubed everything up. It starts right up, runs perfectly, and I'd trust it to take me anywhere.

I'm sure I overpaid for it, given the mileage. Could I ever "get my money out of it", if I were to sell it? Probably not. But hey, hobbies cost money, right? I keep tellin' myself that bikes are cheaper than boats, motorhomes, or ex-wives.

This will be a bike that I'll probably give to my 16 year-old nephew next summer, and he might get another 2-3 seasons out of it.

Having said that, I doubt I'd buy anything with more that 10,000 miles on it again. As a previous poster said, there are too many nice bikes for sale out there right now, with low miles on 'em, for cheap prices.

HandKPhil screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 06:18 PM
HandKPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #47
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
Not exactly related to the OP's question, but I bought an '03 KLR250 a few years ago with 25,000 miles on it. Normally I'd never buy a bike or scooter that had that kind of mileage, but the guy was the original owner, he was about 55 years old, and he told me he'd used it strictly for commuting to his job for the past five years. He said he'd changed the oil faithfully, and that the bike had never failed him.

Against my better judgement, I bought the bike. It's turned out to be one of the best bikes I've ever owned. I've changed all of the fluid and filters, replaced the chain and sprockets, replaced the front brake pads and tires, and cleaned and lubed everything up. It starts right up, runs perfectly, and I'd trust it to take me anywhere.

I'm sure I overpaid for it, given the mileage. Could I ever "get my money out of it", if I were to sell it? Probably not. But hey, hobbies cost money, right? I keep tellin' myself that bikes are cheaper than boats, motorhomes, or ex-wives.

This will be a bike that I'll probably give to my 16 year-old nephew next summer, and he might get another 2-3 seasons out of it.

Having said that, I doubt I'd buy anything with more that 10,000 miles on it again. As a previous poster said, there are too many nice bikes for sale out there right now, with low miles on 'em, for cheap prices.

Yea, bikes that sat around with no care, that need carb cleaning, rusted tanks, corroded brakes. No thanks, my Reflex runs like a top at 15,000 miles, and I don't consider it broken in yet!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #48
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474
If you're talking about the old 2 stroke Vespa 150 I don't think there is a point where they are "mostly used up". If' it's not rusted and it looks and runs OK it's worth buying if the price is right. Many years ago I sold my 1974 Vespa Rally 200 with over 170,000 miles on it and as far as I know it's still running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I know some folks have put a lot of miles on a scooter. One of the Silverwing group folks had over 100K on his. But, I think that is more the exception rather than the norm. It's rare to see scoots with 50K+ miles. I'm basing this on many years of reading scooter forums, hanging at scooter rallys and such.

If you were going to buy one of these scooters, at what mileage would you consider the scoot mostly used up and not worth buying?
A Silverwing or Burgman 650
A Majesty of Burgman 400
An HD200 or People 250
A Vespa 150
A Zuma 125 or Buddy 125
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #49
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
This is sure one thing I LOVE about my new Shadow! The service manuel states the oil change intervals at 8,000 MILES! I'm impressed with the MANUEL stating this! I love this bike, hydraulic valve lifters, shaft drive, etc! Almost no maintenance! And less than the scoot!
yeah, thats what the manual says. but you should do it more often. i guarantee that the people who change their scooter oil at 1000 miles are doing it a lot more often than their manual says.

e.g. my car's manual says change oil at 10,000 miles but i change it every 5.

the manual for my XT660 says change the oil at 6000 miles. i would never go more than 3000 miles without an oil change.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #50
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post

25000 miles is nothing

i would rather buy a maintained '03 bike with 25k on it than one with very low mileage. things go wrong with bikes and cars when they are not used often enough. they need to be used.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #51
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
86 Honda helix- 63,000 or 163,000 miles

86 Honda helix- 63,000 or 163,000 miles. When I bought it the odometer said 63,000 miles but when the title arrived it said 163,000. Not sure which one is accurate. In any event, it was running as good if not better than my 01 Helix with 12000 miles. That was until I changed the oil one day and forgot to torque the drain nut. The ride to work was fine. The ride home, not so much.

It's sitting under a cover on the side of my garage. I've been using is as a parts bike, I used the windshield on my ninja 250.... Just for the winter.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #52
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Sorry, even I can't wrap my head around a 250cc Helix motor lasting THAT FREAKING LONG! Holy CHRIST! 63k or 163k (I bet it's the latter), that's INSANE! ...but I know it happens.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #53
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
65698 on my 94 Helix bought new in 95 and put in storage 6 years ago. Burned no oil and ran great. I know of one with 128000, one with 130000, and the top of the list Gene Bartlow has one with 178000. I ran mine balls to the wall every mile. Replaced clutch at 37000 and thats about it other than Kendall 20w/50 GT1 oil every 1000.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #54
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,714
WOW! Just WOW!

Didn't think scoots would/could go that long.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #55
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
No question the Helix has to be one of the greatest feets (feats?) of engineering in history. The local Honda dealer swears that a well maintained helix should go over the 150k mark without any major engine issues.

I remember passing on a 250 chinese bike because it had 500mi on it when I was new to scooters

Now I was excited to get a Maj. with 8k at a price I could afford.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #56
JerseyBiker OP
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,714
Just wandered over to the SYM forum. Noticed an HD125 owner now has 46,000 miles! Only routine maintenance done so far to it.

Another owner has a 50cc Sym with 26,000 miles. He seems to have had a couple of problems but nothing major.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #57
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
32,000 miles

I bought my 07 in 08 and I have 32,000 miles of seeing the country. The Silver Wing is very reliable and I have a few more months before the bike is fully paid for. To me that is when a bike becomes a bargain. It has more usefulness then resale and since I'm the only rider I'm responsible and know it's history. I'm getting ready for another tire change, this will be my fourth set of Bridgestone Hoops. I use Honda oil and keep it changed. I'm on my second belt. I have change my brake fluid, and gear fluid. I keep it fluffed and buffed. I haven't looked at it's book value but with the miles it would be low. In truth if I where buying used I would look for low miles, clean appearance and maintenance record. Even with that I feel very comfortable in taking my Silver Wing across country.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #58
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
I hate to admit it but I'd be more confident taking my 250cc Daelim cross country than I would my 1200cc Buell. Sad but true.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #59
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
We need to hear from scooter owners in Europe, perhaps Italy. I know they rack up a lot of miles, usually far more than most Americans do on scooters. They wouldn't think 50k - 70k miles as a lot. In India my friend had 100cc Hero Honda (think Honda 90 type engine). It had 135,000 kilometers on it. It wasn't babied either. It ran fine all day long in insane stop and go traffic, where 8 months of the year the weather is 100-110f temps. I'll be annoyed if I don't get 80,000 trouble free miles from my BV250.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #60
riddleofsteel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I bought a Yamaha C3 50cc scooter with 50,000 miles on it. Actually traded a pistol (worth $300) for it. They are water cooled and fuel injected. Scooter had many owners and no title so who knows how it was treated before me. I replaced a lot of body parts but did nothing mechanical until the fuel pump failed at 75,000 miles. I went to change the oil one day and noticed it was mixed with water/antifreeze. Checked the coolant and found it way low...blown head gasket. I put the scooter up for sale asking $800.00 with full disclosure. To my surprise it sold in less than a week. I found my 1986 Honda Elite with 3200 miles, one owner, all dealer maintained, garage kept, the next day for $1100.

Point is that at least one water cooled 50cc scooter can go 75,000 miles

Would I buy another Yamaha C3 with 50,000 miles? I don't know; how cheap is it?
riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote