jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #77
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Wow! You can RIDE!!!! Amazing skills!

+1! Jen is amazing. She can ride all the men in here into the dust. I wanna be like her when I grow up, except for the "girl-parts."

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #78
CJ Rider
Little Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hey jessepit- (I know Oregon is a big state and all, but...) Do you know other lady in the first two pics? She's a long-time dirt/dualsport ADVRider from eastern Oregon. Katie actually rides me into the ground and I don't think I would have ever completed the Five Miles of Hell trail in Utah if I didn't have her behind me saying, "I'm gonna kick yer butt if you take that bail point!"

Hey TellyDoug- Will and I are totally looking forward to riding some more crazy rides with you this summer! ... and I'm trying to avoid the visual of you with "girl parts," eh!
CJ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #79
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Rider View Post
Hey jessepit- (I know Oregon is a big state and all, but...) Do you know other lady in the first two pics? She's a long-time dirt/dualsport ADVRider from eastern Oregon. Katie actually rides me into the ground and I don't think I would have ever completed the Five Miles of Hell trail in Utah if I didn't have her behind me saying, "I'm gonna kick yer butt if you take that bail point!"

Hey TellyDoug- Will and I are totally looking forward to riding some more crazy rides with you this summer! ... and I'm trying to avoid the visual of you with "girl parts," eh!

Nope, don't know her, but I'm kinda glad cause I'm sure her skills would put mine to shame.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #80
Charla
Tamalamian

Oddometer: 26,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Wow! You can RIDE!!!! Amazing skills!
Understatement of the year right there.

Jen is also a fantastic cheerleader, always trying to get us to challenge ourselves. I gave her the nickname "Evil Little Leprechaun" because she's always trying to get us to go ride the Rainbow Trail with her, a notoriously difficult single track.

Kelly, I have to post this pic because it's awesome and I know you love it.

Charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #81
shortstuff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I am inspired!

Hi! I am also a vertically challenged woman trying to ride. I am 5 ft with inseam of 26 inches. I have had a number of bikes since starting to ride about 7 years ago after I took a rider training course with my 16 year old daughter. We don't live near good trails or mountains so my choice was street bikes. My starter was a Honda twinstar 185 which I outgrew rapidly. On to a Buell Blast for awhile,then to the Suzuki Volusia 800 that was lowered. Still wasn't that happy with any of the bikes. I then fell in love with a 06 Goldwing.... the solution was the sidecar attached. That way you don't have to reach the ground and I could "keep up with the big boys!". It is great for highway driving but leaves a lot to be desired for off-road or even gravel roads. Since my husband (Grumpy Bear) plans on doing the CDT this coming summer I have started to look for a dual sport or smaller bike that would be useful for off road. I have a 650 V-strom that we are contemplating sidecaring but I still wouldn't be able to do single track with it.
Your post and photos are inspiring. I now see that with some work and experimentation you can find a bike to fit! Thanks for all the tips and comments.
Photo of my ride (if I can figure out how to upload it) is showing the "Iron Butt" award from the Chelan Sidecar Rally 2010.
Attached Images

shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #82
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
. . . . I have started to look for a dual sport or smaller bike that would be useful for off road.
Take a look at the Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa and the Honda CRF230F.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #83
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda View Post
Take a look at the Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa and the Honda CRF230F.

Did you mean the CRF230"L"? It is much lower than the "F" and street legal. My minnie girlfriend (5'0" with short legs) can easily touch both feet on the "L" but cant even get one toe down on the "F". If we can afford one when the time comes this will be her next bike.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #84
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Jen, did I read that right?...a CRX 250 in a CR85 frame? Did someone build it or is it something out of Honda's basement. That sounds wild!
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #85
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,835
There's a company building them. I saw it in one of the cycle magazines. Interesting approach for the shorter of stature.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #86
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charla View Post
Understatement of the year right there.
Absolutely! I'm so glad you joined in Jen!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #87
CJ Rider
Little Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Jen, did I read that right?...a CRX 250 in a CR85 frame? Did someone build it or is it something out of Honda's basement. That sounds wild!
Yup, you read that right. AJ Wagner of Service Honda out of Indiana (near Chicago) built it. A lady named Nora introduced me to hers and then my friend Doug picked one up after I did, so we have a little gang-o-Service Hondas here in Colorado. It's definitely an interesting concept fer sure.

Also, I'll just chime in here since folks are mentioning the CRF230... I personally wouldn't look twice at that one. Instead, go for the KLX250 because it's got way better suspension than the 230 plus full sized tires. I put a Kouba lowering link on my 250 and shaved the seat down with a kitchen knife and sand paper (Charla taught me that one - looks great). The result is that I'm able to get toes down just like I would on the 230 (I'm 4'10"). Honestly folks, suspension and full sized tires make a huge improvement in performance.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #88
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Rider View Post
Honestly folks, suspension and full sized tires make a huge improvement in performance.

I totally agree! That's why I sold my TT-R125, I didn't like how the little tires handled the rocks around here. It is definitely a good bike for learning, it's lightweight and easy to handle, but once you get to where you want to go a little faster and ride some more techinal terrain, it just doesn't fit the bill any more.

I rode Kelly's KTM today, and really liked it. I do think I will be getting one at some point. There will be a bit of a learning curve with it. It's longer than the XT or the WR, but it's just as light as the XT and has good power and awesome suspension!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #89
CJ Rider
Little Adventurer

OK, sorry, that sounded a little biased about the CRF230... it does have it's place and many people like it. But, I have seen a lot of people use it as a stepping stone for what they REALLY wanted in the first place. We short people have a tendancy to only focus in on what we can get our feet down on the showroom floor. What I SHOULD have mentioned was that, for pretty cheap and not much work, you could modify a little bit bigger/better bike to fit a smaller person and THAT bike might perform more enjoyably. For dualsporting, that's definitely the case. For pure dirt biking, smaller is sometimes better fer sure.

ANYHOW... Hi Bonnie Abbzug! Are Monday's still good for riding?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #90
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Hi Jen

Actually, Tuesday's and Wednesday's are the best for me. I'm usually working on Monday.