Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #46
the octopus
The Chef

Oddometer: 104
These boots protected my foot and ankle from a serious fracture today.

Thanks guys for hooking me up with a solid boot.
the octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #47
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
I bought myself a Pair of the Oiled Boots and cant say enough about the comfort. To compare these in anyway to the Sidi Adventure Rains is just a joke. Unfortuneately I paid alot more than you are asking but its all good, these are awesome boots.
As for the sizing, I always wear a 91/2 but had to go with the 10's in these Boots.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #48
scratch650
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I wear a 9.5 in shoes usually. I tried sidi discoveries in 10 and they were way too big. Can you compare the sidi to gaerne sizing for me? I have worn 10 in moto boots and they fit great before...
scratch650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #49
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
And of course, one more question. In your opinion, how does the balance (oiled or not) compare to the G-adventure?

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #50
tag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Difficulty Shifting

I bought a pair of the Balance Pro Tech boots at the Trials Nationals in Sequatchie, TN. I loved them as soon as I tried them on. I left them on and asked the clerk to throw away my Kachmann touring boots that I was wearing.

I ride a DRZ400SM and on the ride home I had difficulty shifting. The sole of the new boots made it difficult to put my toe under the shifter. My Kachmanns had a gap in the area of the sole that is underneath the arch of my foot, while the Gaernes are continuous front to back. Do you have any recommendations? I was thinking of grinding down the sole under the arch to give me some more room, but I don't want to lose the stiffness that the sole provides.

I have a set of dirt wheels for my bike and plan to do some dual sport riding. That is why I bought the trials style boots.
Thanks,
Tag
tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #51
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag View Post
I ride a DRZ400SM and on the ride home I had difficulty shifting. The sole of the new boots made it difficult to put my toe under the shifter. My Kachmanns had a gap in the area of the sole that is underneath the arch of my foot, while the Gaernes are continuous front to back. Do you have any recommendations? I was thinking of grinding down the sole under the arch to give me some more room, but I don't want to lose the stiffness that the sole provides.
I had similar trouble initially, with the Oiled Balance boots and my R1150GS shifter. I managed to get used to it; I've found that sometimes it's easier to wiggle the toe of the boot to the side of the shifter and let the sole catch the end of the shift lever and shift up that way (particularly while standing). YMMV, of course.
kbroderick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #52
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch650 View Post
I wear a 9.5 in shoes usually. I tried sidi discoveries in 10 and they were way too big. Can you compare the sidi to gaerne sizing for me? I have worn 10 in moto boots and they fit great before...
Hello Scratch.

I prefer not to cross against other motorcycle boots, there are too many variances across models and brands. Instead, it is better to check the EU size (not USA size) from some of your athletic / casual / outdoor shoes, and pass that on. Try to get several, so that I can average across a few pair, instead of one model. This works much better.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #53
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag View Post
I bought a pair of the Balance Pro Tech boots at the Trials Nationals in Sequatchie, TN. I loved them as soon as I tried them on. I left them on and asked the clerk to throw away my Kachmann touring boots that I was wearing.

I have a set of dirt wheels for my bike and plan to do some dual sport riding. That is why I bought the trials style boots.
Thanks,
Tag
Hello Tag.

I agree with KBroderick, acclimation is probably the best cure. At minimum, I would wait a bit before grinding down the sole. Leaving it as is will allow you to have more foot positions and move your feet front <> back more easily.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #54
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
I wanted to give Brian some props for his assistance, feedback and customer service.

Several weeks ago, I ordered a pair of balance oiled. Not only the size was spot on, the fit exceptional but I'm glad to report that they are truly waterproof (I went walking in a lake to try them)

I'm really happy with them off road and on road. I was able go walk on trails and climb things that was nearly impossible with the crossfire.

I'd still take the crossfire for the more offroad trips but for 50/50 riding .. I'm thrilled.

Did I mention that I called at 3 pm to order them and it shipped the same day?

Thanks Brian!!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #55
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch650 View Post
I am going to say the Gaerne boot runs a half size small compared to a work boot say.
If you wear a US 9.5 you would probably need a US10 in the Gaerne especially if the sole insert was still in and you wanted to wear a heavier sock at any time.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #56
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
B, is your server down? Can't connect...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #57
KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
What happened to the Gaerne "Six Days" boots???

I still have my Gaerne "Six Days" that I bought in 1997. I travelled through South America with them for six months. They need new soles now, but I can't bear to part with them. They are easy to resole, only wish that they were waterproof. The oiled Balance boots are the only replacements that I would consider buying. The waterproof feature is nice.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #58
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,774
Nice reviews. Looks like a terrific product.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #59
KnowFear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I bought the Balance Pro Tech. They fit my wide feet perfectly, like a glove.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #60
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899
care and feeding of Gaerne Balanced Oiled boots

BP - what is best product to use for maintaining Gaerne Balanced Oiled boots?

On my other boots I use a lanolin based conditioner and waterproofing paste bought at a bike show, works great. I rub it into the leather by hand. Haven't used anything on the Gaerne boots yet.

Thank you.

Jon