User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Toaster.Tan OP
Toaster Rider

Oddometer: 103
T.T billet top brace for Airhead rigs

Toaster.Tan billet top brace which fits airheads from 1969-87 with telescopic forks. This will significantly improve handling and stability over the stock, thin piece of flat steel. It takes the flex out of the forks under loads. You WILL notice the difference in handling and feel more positive and planted on the front end.

Made of 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum and machined in the USA. It's a drop-on with no special tools. It also only has 25 lbs torque on the three top caps and eliminates the need for 70 lbs per spec. A better design and clamping system.

The three models pictured from top: /5 only,
/5-/6-/7, GS/GS-PD. The GS model has integral clamp on the ends for the signal pod stem.

See more photos at the weblink below.

Thanks for checking them out.
Stephen
Attached Images

91 R100GS-PD ~ 04 R1150RT ~ 80 CBX-SuperSport ~ Scratch-build Bobber project using 1203cc Thunderbolt engine.
Toaster.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,614
Hi Stephen - I've had one of these on my /6 (solo bike) for years now, and it was an easy mod to install...

But I think I've only seen one sidecar rig with one installed.
tony the tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,014
Nice product!

I inquired about one a few months ago for my hack project but there were no plans for production then.

San Jose Beemers offer a similar top clamp:
http://www.sjbmw.com/parts.asp#s=sto...rc=&p=1&pid=32
What are the differences between theirs and yours? There's a significant cost difference.
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Toaster.Tan OP
Toaster Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
I inquired about one a few months ago for my hack project but there were no plans for production then.

San Jose Beemers offer a similar top clamp:
http://www.sjbmw.com/parts.asp#s=sto...rc=&p=1&pid=32
What are the differences between theirs and yours? There's a significant cost difference.

The whole reason I started making them is because of the SJ brace. Two friends had them and wanted me to help install and true the forks. Both braces were out of tolerance to the bike stanchions and in different places! They were machined in Mexico out of 6065 - the lowest grade aluminum you can use for this. I found the SJ braces always crack in the same place when it fails. Not saying they all fail, just that when they do - it's always where the round end meets the top plane at a 90 angle. The design focuses the stress there and they fracture. I recommend if you have one you inspect them by spraying carb cleaner on the underside and clean that angle really good. Then look for cracks.

Notice I have no curves on the underside and break up the angles where the end clamp meets the plane. This prevents a focused load. The ramp at the front makes it even more rigid. 7075-T6 aluminum is a LOT more expensive.

I'm getting ready to start another run and am taking prepaid orders now. Let me know if you know anyone wants on the reserved list.

Attached Images

91 R100GS-PD ~ 04 R1150RT ~ 80 CBX-SuperSport ~ Scratch-build Bobber project using 1203cc Thunderbolt engine.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Toaster.Tan OP
Toaster Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
Hi Stephen - I've had one of these on my /6 (solo bike) for years now, and it was an easy mod to install...

But I think I've only seen one sidecar rig with one installed.

That's a shame..... a side car rig REALLY benefits from this brace.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster.Tan View Post

That's a shame..... a side car rig REALLY benefits from this brace.

I can attest to that!!!

When I added one of these braces to my 1982 R100RT based rig (The FrankenBeemer), it was like adding power steering!

That rig had the stock forks with heavy springs and additional preload spacers as well as both the stock & SanJose double-loop lower fork braces installed.
While all of those made small improvements, the Toaster Tan top brace made the single largest improvement to the steering of that rig.

After installing the brace my front wheel finally felt like it was solidly connected to the handlebars, rather than having to "overwind" the bars to get the steering response that I wanted.

If you have stock forks on an Airhead sidecar rig, you owe it to yourself to get a Toaster Tan top clamp.
Just do it!
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

I'm sold. I'll be PMing!

I can feel the flex in my front end, especially in left handers when I have to muscle the car around 90 dgr turns and stay in lane here in the city. There's enough flex that my stem cap nut actually starts to loosen up every couple weeks.
Hopefully this top brace will alleviate that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post
I can attest to that!!!

When I added one of these braces to my 1982 R100RT based rig (The FrankenBeemer), it was like adding power steering!

That rig had the stock forks with heavy springs and additional preload spacers as well as both the stock & SanJose double-loop lower fork braces installed.
While all of those made small improvements, the Toaster Tan top brace made the single largest improvement to the steering of that rig.

After installing the brace my front wheel finally felt like it was solidly connected to the handlebars, rather than having to "overwind" the bars to get the steering response that I wanted.

If you have stock forks on an Airhead sidecar rig, you owe it to yourself to get a Toaster Tan top clamp.
Just do it!
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
brockoli
build of cool stuff

Oddometer: 180
That is a great looking product. The problem with sidecar use is that it still doesn't fix the amount of trail the bike has. The effort required to steer is still the same as it is with the stock top plate, it's just stiffer, less flexing and it is actually letting the wheel be pointed to where it needs to go. If you reduce the amount of effort require at the actual contact point of the tire, you eliminate the forces needed at the handle bars and it steers with ease, even with a stock top plate. The bike is not seeing near the twisting loads it would, when counter seeing solo, once the trail has been reduced. I like this product, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. If there was one that was made at the new angle that we do our trees at, it would be a win/win. Reduced effort and a more solid top clamp.
Regards,
Brock
[/CENTER]
brockoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Stephen, put my name on the list for the brace for a '75 R90S.
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Updates?

Hey Stephen,

Any progress updates? I sent an email and a PM but never got a reply. No hurry, just tryin' to schedule some stuff.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster.Tan View Post

The whole reason I started making them is because of the SJ brace. Two friends had them and wanted me to help install and true the forks. Both braces were out of tolerance to the bike stanchions and in different places! They were machined in Mexico out of 6065 - the lowest grade aluminum you can use for this. I found the SJ braces always crack in the same place when it fails. Not saying they all fail, just that when they do - it's always where the round end meets the top plane at a 90 angle. The design focuses the stress there and they fracture. I recommend if you have one you inspect them by spraying carb cleaner on the underside and clean that angle really good. Then look for cracks.

The SanJose clamps have been made in CALIFORNIA, USA for as long as I can remember, they farm them out to a local CNC shop who they have been using for years for all the CNC production work.
This post is bordering on slanderous. I am actually surprised at you for saying this.
Pretty chickenshit, in my personal opinion.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Toaster.Tan OP
Toaster Rider

WIREWRKR -
I could have been more clear in the context, but that post is part of a longer thread. I started making braces over 12 years ago when the SJ brace had square ends and it was Chris that told me where they were made. I was referring to that time period. The design has since been changed and production moved. I stand by all other comments. I've already had this conversation on another thread and encourage you to read all the responses that go with that quote.

A person on this forum contacted me last weekend because he had problem with his front alignment. He had a square-end SJ brace and after some 'testing' found the bores were not aligned correctly. I haven't asked permission to use his name - so won't, but the thread is easy to find with current dates.

Bottom line is that SJ makes a brace - I make a brace. Pick one. Your choice. Leave the foul feces out of it.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Toaster.Tan OP
Toaster Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Hey Stephen,

Any progress updates? I sent an email and a PM but never got a reply. No hurry, just tryin' to schedule some stuff.

Thanks
I sent out an update this morning to my distribution list and will send you a copy. Looks like the validation part passed fit-check and should have some coming off next weekend.

I trailered my R100GS-PD to the machinist and left it with him as a template & fit-check for the new stuff I'm making, including top plates, multiple height risers, adjustable risers, lower ( above wheel) brace and swing arm torsion bar. Hope to have some prototypes in a couple weeks.

Ping me off forum if interested.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Any progress updates

....on top brace production? How're things coming along? I ould use it in the snow!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Tt?

Bueller? Bueller?