User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
MotoCamping in Los Padres

Hi Group, Long time lurker & dreamer. It started with a mini-bike, then a Suzuki 50cc 2 stroke when I was 10-13. Fast fwd to the '80s, on an extended trip to N.Z. & Aust. bought a XR250 in Brisbane, and Adventure-Backpacked up & down the east coast of Aust. for a few months, reselling the XR to the same dealer. 30 years later, not many miles ridden as my wife & I raised a pair of great daughter & son, 25 & 22.

Now to the present, for the past couple of years, I have been enthralled with (RR) 800days RTW, Radioman RTW, then hosted Radioman at our home last year, as he came thru So.CA found his viewpoints & travel discussion sort-of mind-blowing. My wife observed all this with either amusement or distain, as she has little interest in these RRs. So in January I took the plunge with a nicely farkled 2012 S10. Bought used in Orlando, rode her home to Los Angeles. Was racing to stay ahead of a storm-front as I rode west, so no great adventures other then a new to me bike, new riding gear (Shoei/FirstGear), and 2500mi, cross country, about 4-500/day.

More to follow,
Mike B

ps: my handle is from another passion in life; building of, precision hand-loading for, and shooting long-range specialty pistols.
Attached Images

HandCanonShootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

So after a few weeks at home, the weather was improving, and the following week had higher then normal temps for So.Ca up thru San Francisco. PCH is always on my list for a ride. After reading NSFW's RR about adv-rides in CA, his notes about Los Burros Road and Naciemento-Fergusson Rd. got me thinking. I set up one Pelican case to hold a gallon bladder of water (2/3'ds full) as well as the backpacking stove, fuel, kitchen, cup/plate/etc. Thru a couple of dehydrated meals in, a few trail bars, and a bag of peanuts The other Pelican held my BOB daypack, with many survival/firstaid items onboard, Warmer gloves, a monocular, and a cable to lock bike or helmet/cases if needed. On my AltRider Rack went 3 stuff sacks with tent, sleeping bag, and clothing/gear. 3 extra water bottles nestled under the racks top, and a one gal. Rotopax gas can was carried inboard of the right side bag, on a mount that I added to the H&B side racks.

So after a nice few hours riding out of Los Angeles, finally on PCH for a bit, grabbed lunch in Cambria, and after gassing up, I filled a small collapsible ice chest with a beer & OJ for the morning.

Headed up twds Los Burros road,
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

First nights camesite
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Lowcountry25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Best of luck, from a fellow Super Tenere owner.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

Very enjoyable, wish I could see more stars, dehydrated meal was at least filling, realized that if I could have brought a beer, could have been had better food. When backpacking I'm used to this hardship (esp of 5+ day trips), now realizing that moto-packing not the same.

Also started to use a new lightweight chair "Monarch" by Alite. has only 2 legs, you can rock or strecch out legs to sit (but packs sm & light). Was pretty sore from a day of riding with the off roading of my heavy Tenere. The off-road ride in took about an hour & half, only had one mishap on the fireroads, was concentrating hard on keeping those Ankee 3s in the middle of the road. as I came around a turn, a rare home was visible at the top of the hill, broke my concentration for a sec to look up, and the Tenere's back tire slipped sideways into a rain-rut (6-8"), the front followed, and I layed the loaded bike against the mountian side at about 45 deg angle. Now I found how heavy she really was!!

But an hour later with the help of a fellow 4WDer was back on the fireroad, the Givi bars were dirty, but kept the bike from damages, right pelican also filthy, but a nice roadside waterfall made it a little worth the trouble...
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

After a morning cuppa Café, I broke camp and headed back into cellular coverage to contact Wife in LA, and daughter in SF, the road back down to PCH was beaut, a perfect day so far. I headed down to PCH for Breakfast in a favorite stop in Big Sur "Deetzns" their Bkfst/Lunch a highlight of any trip in the area (specialty is eggs-beni), not roughing it after a night in a tent! Into Carmel for gas, talked to Wife (upset @ no contact for 24hrs) to daughter, told her was not making it up to SF this time.

Looked up Naciemento-Fergusson Road as mentioned by NSFW, and headed south for my next days off roading, and camping, bought beer, juice, and a BBQ beef sandwich for dinner.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

After turning off PCH onto (paved) Naciemento-F Rd. it went winding up into the hills about 7-8 miles still paved but sometimes only a one truck wide, not very well maintained, but passable.
as I hit the Forest Service Road (Coastal Ridge Road) notice a milage sign that mentioned Los Burros rd (yesterdays fireroad) at 15 miles, and I thought about that really nice mount-top campsite I found on my way out this morning. Had a 360 deg view, looked down on the PCH & ocean, was nice...

So for the next couple hours I man-handled the Tenere down the fire-roads, was pretty east to follow this "Ridge Road" and I finally approached Los Burros Spur from the other direction I had approached yesterday.

To be continued
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

My Mountain Top Campsite had amazing 360 deg views, looked down on PCH from 2580 ft. Was a little exposed to the wind, but the view evening and AM should make up for it. The evening was very enjoyable with a beautiful sunset. The BBQ beef samdwich went perfectly with a nice cold Heiny, and the stars came out. Was at peace with the world...

Note; avoid dozing off in Monarch chair, nuff-said.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

Beautiful view down into the ocean...
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

Nice temps, no rain, what a beautiful day..
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #11
Skowinski
Primate

Oddometer: 6,065
That first camping site on Los Burros road looks very inviting! And beer to go with it, oh yeah.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

sorry for the sideways pics, they are right side up as uploaded, maybe a moderator could help? or tell me what I did wrong. In hindsight, would rather have the pic on it's side, then the Tenare, she is Super Heavy!

Mike B
Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
HandCanonShootr OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
That first camping site on Los Burros road looks very inviting! And beer to go with it, oh yeah.
No kidding, for all my life I have been backpacking, & climbing, dreaming of a cold beer after those 5 nights to 2 weeks in the wilderness, just remember a canned adult beverage, not a bottle. First night a Fosters paired with Dehydrated Alfredo Noodles w/Chicken. Second night, a Heiny with BBQ Beef samwich. Peanuts as a nibbler, I'm a happy man.

Mike B.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 272
Love camping out there so many amazing views and the weather is wonderful more often then not.

1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Great ride report, like you I found out about some great rides from NSFW. Keep the update coming

Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote