User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Dirt Rider OP
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Thumb Back In the Saddle Again!

I wrote this on another site that I am a member. Thought a few folks here might like to read the article from a young journalist that we joined a friend and I on his first real dirt ride. The link to his article is at the end. A few pics in the article taken by him and my friend.

About eight years ago I gave up riding after some 40 years. On a 125 mile off road ride at Torrey, my back said enough. So I sold my new RT, my DR650 and my Corvette. frown I thought I was done. Doctor said fuse a spot but you still might have some pain. Why have surgery then? Without drugs and falling into low sport cars, the back has been tolerable most of the time minus any meds. Yahoo!

Flash forward to early last year. I’m getting old, not as old as Marty however, and started thinking about a bucket list. I could not think of anything that would really get me excited except “One last dirt adventure to Utah and Colorado.” Dirt biking had been my passion for years, much more so than the street. But I didn’t have a bike or any gear. Also my young friend, now 48, no longer had a dual sport and he lives near Portland. So I got an idea. I could buy two new bikes and get them ready for a trip in 2014. I really wanted him to be a part of this as he has journeyed on many of our adventures in the past.

With a lot of convincing, I got him and his wife to agree to let me supply him with a bike. Two new Yamaha WR250’s were bought and readied, like suspension for fatso’s, better tires, gearing, etc. Up to Portland I went for my first dual sport ride in over 8 years. All went well and on part of the Oregon Trail where the route journeyed, we actually got up to speed after my chili burger kicked in after lunch. Very strange trying to motor fast after not riding for 8 years. He wished he had a GoPro as riding off my left quarter would have made a good pic and at times we were boogieing along pretty fast. I felt good. Everything went ok and I even got a trophy for the poker run part, second overall. Weird for a dual sport event. No after effects and the back said OK old timer! I have a great pic he took when we got done. If I ever get set up on Smugmug or something I can post it. Happy camper.

I get a call about a month later and he tells me of another dual sport event near Crater Lake. Let’s do it. So we met. He came down from Portland and I journied up from the SF Bay Area. The morning of the ride it was about 35 and raining. Damn! But we had all the right gear and out on the trail we went. Along the way we met a nice young man working for an online motorcycle mag. He was writing stories about his learning to ride and this would be his first real dirt ride. Well, we asked him to join us as I had not planned to ride the really tough loop, as this was to be my 2nd test of the bod. So, the point of all this is the young fellow wrote a nice article about his journey that day and I thought some folks might like to read it. Besides my pic is in the article.

Hope you enjoy. Now to get in shape a loose a few pounds. Colorado is calling in August! The desire to ride again "Is strong with this one." Oh, I also convinced "The Boss" that the WR was inadaquate for cruising around our area, hence the new F800GS.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/920/17...Road-Ride.aspx

Dirt Rider screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 07:14 AM Reason: Fixed Link
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Let me be the first to welcome you back into the fold Doug! I know where your comin' from when it relates to back problems, I've been dealin' with it for years now and it's tryin' real hard to beat me at the moment. I don't plan on givin' up ridin' without one hell of a fight.

63, ridin' since 17, got a late start,

Jeff

'96 DR350/441SET
'07 DL650AK7 (wee-strom)
'09 DR650SE
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #3
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 473
Glad you are back on the bike! Similar issues here, but I keep riding.

Can't get the link to work. Keep getting Error-404.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Dirt Rider OP
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Thanks for mentioning the link not working. I went back to where I did my copy/paste and it is working ok there? The whole point of this was to read the young fellows article, not my tale.

Anyway, I re-copied the link above and it is working on my computer now. Give it another try. It's a good read. Sorry it didn't work. I should have checked it after I posted.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote