User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
vonreckless OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Shuswap and Okanagan to WABDR

Planning to ride the WABDR North to South with my son early-mid July. However, my question is about finding the best off-road route from Salmon Arm, BC to to the Northern WABDR trailhead. My son is fairly new to riding, which is why we are choosing the WABDR (but he can handle much more than what the WABDR will throw at him). We are riding smallish bikes (DR350s) and want to stay off the roads as much as possible (camping). We have about a week to get there. Any ideas? Some towns on the way could be Vernon, Kelowna, Pentiction, Osoyoos, etc (Shuswap, North Okanagan, Okanagan and South Okanagan). I think portions of the KVR run through some of these towns (so advice there would be great). Maps and waypoints appreciated. Perhaps I can piece something together . . .

Thanks.
vonreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Basecamp is your friend

Hi Von R,

I am not going to offer advice on wherer to ride. I have visited BC about 5 times , but I skiied when there.

What I have done when trying to do the same task as you is to download Garmin's Basecamp ( free) and add a decent topographical map for the area i wanted to ride to Basecamp, which showed the dirt roads etc.

There are a few good tutorials on how to use Basecamp in the ADVrider GPS threads.

Once I have worked out my desired route on Basecamp I transfer it to my GPS machine for use on the bike. Then it is a matter of follow the line on the screen.

It is how I do most of my rides now and it works well.

I had a Canadian model DR350( kick start only) in 1994. It was a good bike once I added stronger springs. I ride a Oz model DRZ400E now. Same problem though: undersprung.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
vonreckless OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
What I have done when trying to do the same task as you is to download Garmin's Basecamp ( free) and add a decent topographical map for the area i wanted to ride to Basecamp, which showed the dirt roads etc.

There are a few good tutorials on how to use Basecamp in the ADVrider GPS threads.
I was just starting to work out plan B (thinking nobody would respond to my rather specific query), which was precisely as you suggest: view threads on using a GPS and plan my own route. Nice to know I'm on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
I had a Canadian model DR350( kick start only) in 1994. It was a good bike once I added stronger springs. I ride a Oz model DRZ400E now. Same problem though: undersprung.
You have the bike I want. My problem with the DR is that I'm too tall for the bike (6'3"). I can see suspension becoming an issue, especially under load. The DRZ would be a much better fit for me. However, the DR is perfect for my son who is both shorter and lighter.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 902
Hi VonReckless,
Here is a possible route for you to the border. In July the tourist strip through the valley will be a drag so this cuts it out. Good roads to shake things out on.
How is your fuel range??

http://goo.gl/maps/e7yiV
Old 01-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 902
Here is a bit more in Wa.

http://goo.gl/maps/F1cXG
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
hellboy7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Explore Google earth... I always find routes and trails that iwant to later explore on google earth. It's a good way to kill a bunch of time too.
hellboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
vonreckless OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the maps, Mike. They are a big help. And Hellboy . . . I shall google earth.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
friskycutter
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Other sources

You might also have a look for the "BC Backroads" books. I find actual books more user friendly to figure something like that out rather than on-line versions. There is a South Interior version you can find at Canadian Tire or somewhere like that- Cheers, have fun
friskycutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
vonreckless OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by friskycutter View Post
You might also have a look for the "BC Backroads" books. I find actual books more user friendly to figure something like that out rather than on-line versions. There is a South Interior version you can find at Canadian Tire or somewhere like that- Cheers, have fun
I'll have a look for that. I think I owned one years ago. Thanks.