User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
sporthog93 OP
Sporthog93

Oddometer: 777
650 Burgman

I have a repair shop and used bike sales store. i purchased a couple salvage scooters to build and sell. A 650 Burgman and a 125 Vino. They are kind of neat. I just rode the Burgman to town for cigars and holy crap 90 plus mph!!! And Iv'e used the Vino at a vintage swap meet what a terrific little machine to get around with. If I lived in town I'd have one as a personal ride. They are both for sale if anyone's interested but not my point for this thread. Just enjoying the scooter buzz.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
kioti
Cruzinonline

Oddometer: 185
The Burgie speedo is 10% optimistic so 90 is actually 81.

I saw 119 on mine once several years ago and the windshield started doing weird stuff, haven't been in the triple digits since.
kioti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Burgman 650? Funny you ask..

Howdy,

I was interested in a Burgy 650 on my local Craigslist. It had too many issues. I've heard nothing but great things about them; 'specially for touring.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Hey sporthog, I just got into scooters and know some guys in the Omaha Scooter Club. Any details/pics on the scoots you have for sale?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Capt-Kevlar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
I've heard nothing but great things about them; 'specially for touring.
I've done multiple multi state touring trips on my Burman. The longest I've done in one day is 900+ miles and I never felt fresher afterwards. It is great for touring and is hands down the best commuter you could ever want. Despite having three bikes, my Burgman is my go to for almost all of my riding.
Capt-Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 140
So the burgman 650 is the king ? I was looking for a commuter In Socal...my drz is too much frantic craziness and AGATT is a pain I like those skooter skirts..
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChatNoir View Post
So the burgman 650 is the king ? I was looking for a commuter In Socal...my drz is too much frantic craziness and AGATT is a pain I like those skooter skirts..

So the pavement is softer when you crash on a scooter?
Old 03-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
LeChatNoir
artiste

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post

So the pavement is softer when you crash on a scooter?
No not what I meant. I have a good jacket(s) and helmet I would wear of course but hauling it to the office and back is annoying. I like the storage and the other protection options on a scoot. I really like the burg- although the new silverwing is very nice.
LeChatNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChatNoir View Post
No not what I meant. I have a good jacket(s) and helmet I would wear of course but hauling it to the office and back is annoying. I like the storage and the other protection options on a scoot. I really like the burg- although the new silverwing is very nice.
OK - got it
Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
sporthog93 OP
Sporthog93

I haven't ridden a honda 600 but the Burgman will get with the program as far as acceleration goes, it doens't seem to be affected by wind much either.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioti View Post
The Burgie speedo is 10% optimistic so 90 is actually 81.

I saw 119 on mine once several years ago and the windshield started doing weird stuff, haven't been in the triple digits since.
I hate this optimistic stuff. I find that some of the older Japanese bikes have more accurate speedos than the new stuff.

It pisses me off because if your riding on the highway at an indicated 70 MPH trying to stay within the speed limit, and your speedo is 10% optimistic, this would mean an actual speed of about 63 MPH even though you think your doing 70 MPH. Your not even doing the 65 MPH limit, and this will piss of cagers. I have GPS a few cars, and all have been within 2 MPH accurate to dead on.

Now that I have tightened my speedo cable on my 86 Elite 150, it is dead on by both radar and GPS, its a shame that the same can't be said for 2011 $8,000 motorcycle or scooter.

Some bikes have been even worse [ESPECIALLY with smaller tire sizes] being as high as 15% optimistic! That means at an indicated 70 MPH, your only doing 59 MPH! Or even an indicated 80 MPH is only 68 MPH! At that point I would disable the stock speedo and put a small GPS in it's place!

But other than that the Burgmans are sweet rides! The 650 has an actual top speed of 99-110 actual MPH, and acceleration is great. The only thing I don't like about the 650 is the poor MPG for it's displacement. I love the Burgman 400, is has a somewhat close enough top speed, slightly more underseat storage, great acceleration, and gets in the 60s to very low 70s with slow riding in the MPG department.

Despite my craving for one, I will need to wait a little while for a maxi scoot. I WILL get one, but with the gas prices going up so high, its hard to beat my Elite 150s 85-100 real MPG and 65+ MPH GPS top speed for commuting around! I have picked up a Shadow for distance/highway, but it can't replace the Elite around town! It's 700 cc V twin sucks far more gas, its around 40-60 MPG vs the 85+! But a Maxi scooter is in my future!

The Vino 125 is also nice scooter, but it is too slow for a 125 IMO.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
MarkH67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
MarkH67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Thumb

Don't recall what the top speed was, I was watching the er um track vs. the speedo but I was over 100 even accounting for the optimistic speedo on mine.
No windshield issues with my clearview.

Currently riding an NT700 primarily, but did put 20k on the currently parked 650, & have no real angst about it. A decent solid fun ride with good storage.
A bit of a stigma as an "old man's bike" but no real worries.

If you had to have one bike in your garage you could do a lot worse than a 650.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
sporthog93 OP
Sporthog93

Quote:
Here ya go.
Holy crap!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
sporthog93 OP
Sporthog93

Quote:
That's what I was thinking when my almost new(900 miles) Michelin SC couldn't be repaired so I thought I'd have a little fun with it.

More of the story here.
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1283362374
I don't know how big of a hole you had prior to the smoke show, but i have used some plug/patches on MY OWN tires that had a hole we good succes. They are used from the inside and have a plug that is attached to a patch, the plug sticks thru and the patch is glued to the inside or the tire. I say on my own tires because i wouldn't use them on a customer tire for liability purposes. These patches are available at auto parts stores.