Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #31
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
The only earlier maxi I have owned was a Majesty YP400; a machine not too dissimilar to the Burgman 400.

All-in-all, the lesser mass of a 400 does make it less of a handful solo in congested city traffic. Back in 2004/05 I was commuting 12km, and then 6.5km, to work with the same distance home on Brisbane's Southside. I would not have picked the 650cc for this kind of commute.

✔ By the same measure a 250cc or 300cc would be even easier in metro riding!

But presently I'm living semi-rural. I'm taking 80km/h and 100km/h limit connecting roads to the next town, and 30-40 minutes highway travel to Ipswich or Toowoomba. Except for the 4 minute local trip to the supermarket, the 650 is a superior choice for my present riding. But I can still fit two 24-can cartons of soda in under the seat, even if I have to break one of them open to fit the space!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #32
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 716
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I was afraid you would say it was perfect, I do so love little bikes, had my heart set on a 250, but I know I would go more places on this, and maybe with a date! Picture shows it all- that is a perfect two up machine. The 650 seems to get at least as good mileage as the big tourers, mostly better. Considered a Versys, Vstrom, Road king, but the Burgman, honestly, looks more usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
I would rate the Burg 650 (along with the Silverwing 600) as one of the BEST pillion-carrying scooter-shaped motorcycles.
For someone NEW to being carried on the back seat- its one of the best! Plenty of room and a wide seat (compare this against those unlikely cruiser Gunfighter seats, and the miniscule humpy sportsbike rears) . . . good grab handles for the passenger . . . a backrest on the Exec (I'm told a backrest is a $411 option on a Burgman 400) . . and, because the Burger mounts its engine well forward, the weight of the passenger upsets the machine less than do passengers on swing-engined scooters!

Depends on screen. With my stock screen the pressure sometimes hits from behind, and can puff-out a loose riding jacket at the front. I do find the Exec's powered screen great -- being able to lower it at suburban speeds, and in car parks, which lessens the risk of head-butting the perspex!

Hmmm! Three compartments for glove boxes. You may have to let your passenger have the use of one or two of these. I find an outside glovebox good for my rain-proof trousers. It could well be that having a pillion 40% of the time you'd be wanting an add-on topbox. The extra space is good when you're shuffling luggage about.

(Photo found on the web.) NB. My riding weather is less cold! Topcase can add another 20-litre capacity to the 56-litre under-seat storage.

I suspect that having a topcase aids the airflow . . . giving a tip for the air to flow past; rather than just double back. Take note that a topbox can affect pillion egress, and make it more difficult to thrust their right leg over.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #33
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I was afraid you would say it was perfect, I do so love little bikes, had my heart set on a 250, but I know I would go more places on this, and maybe with a date! Picture shows it all- that is a perfect two up machine. The 650 seems to get at least as good mileage as the big tourers, mostly better. Considered a Versys, Vstrom, Road king, but the Burgman, honestly, looks more usable.

Yea its a great bike for 2-up. He pretty much said it all.

But I'll tell you, it CAN'T beat the Ultra Classic or the Goldwing! Those are couches on top of a motorcycle! These bikes have HUGE backrests, super comfy huge surface area seats, arm rests, cup holders, full stereo systems, large foot rests, monster torque, you name it!

If your serious about long cross country trips, I think a big touring machine will suit you best.

But without a doubt, the Burgman 650 will carry you and a passenger for hours on end in comfort. Plus, you've gotta love that underseat storage! But one thing is make sure you have a backrest on any super long rides for a passenger!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #34
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post

But I'll tell you, it CAN'T beat the Ultra Classic or the Goldwing! Those are couches on top of a motorcycle! These bikes have HUGE backrests, super comfy huge surface area seats, arm rests, cup holders, full stereo systems, large foot rests, monster torque, you name it!

If your serious about long cross country trips, I think a big touring machine will suit you best. !
I'll humbly disagree. I also own a large cube Gold WIng style tourer with all the bells and whistles. Great for the freeway, and for being seen on, but not much else. The B650 comes into its own when used in the city, in the twisties, or offroad; and it can still cut it on the freeway with consummate ease. The last long tour I did was 25,000 miles and my 2003 B650 was the bike I chose to do it on.

My 2008 B650 Executive is equal to any big tourer with its electric screen,and after market stereo and top box. The one big advantage the B650 has compared with other tourers is the multiple foot positions which makes it very easy to move around in the saddle to stop monkey butt and ride long days without tiring.

farqhuar screwed with this post 04-06-2011 at 07:06 PM
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #35
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

>>The B650 comes into its own when used in the city

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctxtyWvz0A
Enjoy!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #36
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

this one is just kinda purdy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMuKO...eature=related
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #37
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

These bikes have a lot of plastic on them. I looked at a bike that had a cracked piece below the foot rest. I think the part is about $190, with a few colors available. Here is a link for available parts.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID.../Model/AN650,A
Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #38
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Insurance is too high on "R" Titles
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #39
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Insurance is too high on "R" Titles
The real savings are that it's not very appealing to pull over an old guy on a scooter, but a young buck on a sport bike, now, that's a target!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #40
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The real savings are that it's not very appealing to pull over an old guy on a scooter, but a young buck on a sport bike, now, that's a target!

Very true! Another great thing about scooters!

I may be young, and I don't always drive the speed limit and such, but I've been riding my Elite 150 for 2 years and I haven't gotten pulled over once! Even passed cops at 55 MPH in a 35 MPH zone with their radar and they don't even look twice!

I've done some wild things screwing around on my scoot with my friends too! And they don't care most of the time!

If I were on a Sport Bike, I'd probably have a suspended license by now! They watch you like a hawk!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #41
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Quote:
Very true! Another great thing about scooters!

I may be young, and I don't always drive the speed limit and such, but I've been riding my Elite 150 for 2 years and I haven't gotten pulled over once! Even passed cops at 55 MPH in a 35 MPH zone with their radar and they don't even look twice!

I've done some wild things screwing around on my scoot with my friends too! And they don't care most of the time!

If I were on a Sport Bike, I'd probably have a suspended license by now! They watch you like a hawk!
You are so right! The one place people cut slack for scooters is speed. I think they're happy just to see it go over 25
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #42
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Not sure about young (I guess for a b650 owner I qualify ;-)), but commuted for two years on the Burger, no issues, within the first couple months of commuting on my (admittedly bright red) NT700 was pulled over & ticketed doing pretty much the same thing. (got it reduced to a non moving)
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #43
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:

If your serious about long cross country trips, I think a big touring machine will suit you best.

But without a doubt, the Burgman 650 will carry you and a passenger for hours on end in comfort. Plus, you've gotta love that underseat storage! But one thing is make sure you have a backrest on any super long rides for a passenger!
Are we talking about motorcycles, or minivans?

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Are we talking about motorcycles, or minivans?

Well the Goldwing isn't so far from a small minivan other than lacking 2 wheels and some size+ a roof. As for backrests I was talking about the huge one for the passenger on the trunk. The big bikes actually do have full strereo systems and can have large armrests with cupholders, etc.

But now that I look into the Burgman 650 more, it may actually be as comfortable or more for some!

I thought it was just a very large scooter for longer distances, but I see that it was actually set up more for touring and 2 up! So maybe it could be more comfortable? Its just that these bikes are strictly touring motorcycles, but if the Burgman was really designed for comfort maybe it is?

And yea scooters do get lots of slack for speed! Most people are amazed to see a 250 cc scooter pass them doing 40 MPH! Their like man, that thing must have some serious mods!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #45
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Well the Goldwing isn't so far from a small minivan other than lacking 2 wheels and some size+ a roof. As for backrests I was talking about the huge one for the passenger on the trunk. The big bikes actually do have full strereo systems and can have large armrests with cupholders, etc.

But now that I look into the Burgman 650 more, it may actually be as comfortable or more for some!

I thought it was just a very large scooter for longer distances, but I see that it was actually set up more for touring and 2 up! So maybe it could be more comfortable? Its just that these bikes are strictly touring motorcycles, but if the Burgman was really designed for comfort maybe it is?

And yea scooters do get lots of slack for speed! Most people are amazed to see a 250 cc scooter pass them doing 40 MPH! Their like man, that thing must have some serious mods!
Another thing to consider is that not everyone wants to wrestle around 900 pounds of motorcycle. To me, even the Burgman is heavier than I want to deal with, but is is still much less than 900 pounds. Bigger is not always better. BTW, I have ridden a many Harleys including a Full dresser and a 1500 Goldwing. They might be good for cruising on the interstate but riding on the interstate is not my idea of fun. If I wanted to ride cross country 2 up I consider a Burgman over a Gold Wing or ANY Harley. Of course I have never ridden a Burgman so I'm just guessing.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote