Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Oddometer: 30
Rocky Mountain ATV/MC Gear Tech Q&A

Welcome to the RockyMountainATV/MC.com Gear & Tech Q&A Thread

Hey, it’s Scott from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, and I wanted to start a thread as a means to connect our adventure gear knowledge with yours. This is where you can ask the gearheads here at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC whatever you want about gear.

Also, check out our thread dedicated to parts, tools and DIY wrenching.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, here’s a bit more information for those of you who like reading long forum posts…

When I’m looking for something to buy, either I get overloaded and confused with different options, or there seems to be some vital piece of missing information. This thread is intended to be a tool for you to use to help in your research in purchasing and maintaining riding gear. So go ahead and give us your questions, comments, feedback and even your random thoughts. We’ll do our best to make things clear!

Adventure riding is in our blood, and – like you – we’re caught in the work/ride catch-22… where work seriously hampers our opportunities to ride, but without work, we couldn’t afford to ride. Dang catch-22s! Fortunately, the boss doesn’t know that we spend most of the day planning our next adventure, and we’re always looking for the next great ride. Check out some of our favorite rides we’ve taken recently: the Battle Born 1000, the Emig Ride,Hooked on Phoenix 2015 and the ride to the Grand Canyon.

I know there are lots of experienced riders hooked to ADVrider, so this will be the place for you to exchange information and “hear it from the horse’s mouth” about:
  • Product quality
  • News
  • Sizing
  • Fit
  • Product comparison
  • Or anything else you're curious about

I – and the other inmates here at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC – will do our best to answer your questions and respond to your random thoughts. We are excited to hear and learn from you as well so we can all benefit from all the experience of the ADV riders!

Because we’re fortunate enough to work in the motorcycle industry and weave some riding opps into our calendars, we’ll be talking about our rides and the gear we used, how it held up and what products you shouldn’t ride without.

So whether this is your first ADV rodeo or not, post your own experiences, thoughts and questions on rides, gear or whatever.

Want to connect personally? You can also send me a PM or an email at scott.oakes@rockymountainatvmc.com. Of course, if you need immediate help with an order, ring us up at 1-800-336-5437, and our customer service reps will take care of you!

If you’re out on an ADV ride and cruise past one of our showrooms, make it a point to stop by and say hi. Tell them Scott sent you… and if it happens to be in the “Beehive” state, I’ll come over and say “hey.” We’ll take some pix and put them on this thread.

Address and contact info:

1551 American Way
Payson, UT 84651
1 800 336-5437

1459 Rolling Hills Ln
Winchester, KY 40391
1 800 336-5437

RMScott screwed with this post 01-22-2015 at 03:15 PM
RMScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

LS2 Helmets at the Dakar Rally

Has anyone heard of LS2 Helmets?
The brand is fairly new to the U.S., and I only have one ride with the helmet, but recently I learned a lot about the brand down in Argentina at the Dakar Rally. LS2 sponsored over 70 riders at this year’s rally including the 2015 moto champion, Marc Coma. On the first day in Buenos Aires, I actually saw several motorcycle commuters riding around town wearing LS2 helmets, and when I arrived at the bivouac, there was a crowd of racers at the LS2 pits picking up their helmets with the official camouflage design. The Dakar racers used the LS2 MX456 helmet for the rally, but they also make a sweet-looking adventure helmet MX453.

For those who want some more info on it, LS2 is actually a very large helmet company that private labels 1 million OEM helmets and also sells 1 million LS2 helmets every year. After every stage, the LS2 reps would change out the liners for the racers, and I learned that the cheek pads are laser cut from a single piece of foam for a better, more comfortable fit. The MX456 is a lightweight, composite fiberglass helmet with a “pump fit system” that inflates cheek pads for all-day comfort and a perfect fit. There is loads of ventilation and a fully removable, washable liner that wicks moisture and is treated to be odor and bacteria resistant. DOT/ECE certification assures quality and safety standards. I did find that the helmet sizing runs small, so you need to bump up one helmet size. All the racers that started the 14-day, 5,600-mile Dakar Rally with the LS2 helmet finished it with the LS2 helmet. If the helmet wasn’t comfortable and well ventilated, they would have switched it out at the first opportunity.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Enter to win a Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel

Hooked on Phoenix (H.O.P.) is a yearly ADV ride where the folks at RMATV/MC take eight lucky contest winners on an epic adventure ride from Mesquite, NV, to Phoenix, AZ, and back. The route encompasses as much off-roading as possible with three nights of camping out in the desert. In Phoenix, the whole group is treated to a fully catered suite to watch the Phoenix supercross. This year on the H.O.P., there were also a couple of factory reps that rode along with us and distributed swag to all the participants. One of the factory reps was Eric from Wolfman and he graciously supplied everyone with their very own Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel. Everyone was plenty stoked to get such an awesome ADV duffel. Most riders repacked their bags so they could have the Wolfman duffel on the trip because they knew their gear would remain dry and safe.

The Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel is a great all-purpose bag to stash your extra gear. It has a roll top closure and made with ultra-tough 22oz and 34oz vinyl and thus is waterproof, dustproof and mudproof. This bag is size small and has a 33 litre capacity. The duffel also sports a deluxe handle and removable shoulder strap. As with all Wolfman products, the Expedition Duffel is a quality product that makes adventure riding even better.

If you would like a chance to win a H.O.P. edition of the Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel bag, comment below with what bike you would put it on and what you would carry in it!

Official rules here
Old 02-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
skeeterdrz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel

This duffel would be right at home on my 2012 DRZ400S on any upcoming PSU football weekends. 110 mile road trip to state college, off-road am ride at bald eagle state forest then some tailgating and football game. What would be in it? Game day clothes and gear to crash somewhere in the state forest that night.
skeeterdrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
skeeterdrz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel

This duffel would be right at home on my 2012 DRZ400S on any upcoming PSU football weekends. 110 mile road trip to state college, off-road am ride at bald eagle state forest then some tailgating and football game. What would be in it? Game day clothes and gear to crash somewhere in the state forest that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMScott View Post
Hooked on Phoenix (H.O.P.) is a yearly ADV ride where the folks at RMATV/MC take eight lucky contest winners on an epic adventure ride from Mesquite, NV, to Phoenix, AZ, and back. The route encompasses as much off-roading as possible with three nights of camping out in the desert. In Phoenix, the whole group is treated to a fully catered suite to watch the Phoenix supercross. This year on the H.O.P., there were also a couple of factory reps that rode along with us and distributed swag to all the participants. One of the factory reps was Eric from Wolfman and he graciously supplied everyone with their very own Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel. Everyone was plenty stoked to get such an awesome ADV duffel. Most riders repacked their bags so they could have the Wolfman duffel on the trip because they knew their gear would remain dry and safe.

The Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel is a great all-purpose bag to stash your extra gear. It has a roll top closure and made with ultra-tough 22oz and 34oz vinyl and thus is waterproof, dustproof and mudproof. This bag is size small and has a 33 litre capacity. The duffel also sports a deluxe handle and removable shoulder strap. As with all Wolfman products, the Expedition Duffel is a quality product that makes adventure riding even better.

If you would like a chance to win a H.O.P. edition of the Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel bag, comment below with what bike you would put it on and what you would carry in it!

Official rules here
skeeterdrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Wayward 1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel

2008 KLR-650 taking a trip from NC to CO in Aug 2015 to ride the COBDR. Need to get the right gear to keep my drawers dry...

Quote:

Official rules here
Wayward 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
_serhan_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Yamaha super tenere, what would I pack? Probably at 33 liters that would be sufficient to carry gear for all my weekend expeditions.

S.

Quote:

Official rules here
_serhan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
kinnisoj
n00b

Oddometer: 7
wolfman bag

That bad boy would look right at home on my all black '14 klr. I'm thinking that type of bag would be best used to carry fresh clothes. Keep them clean and dry.
kinnisoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
Geolander
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Oddometer: 577
On the back of my '05 CRF450X to replace a very worn out old style enduro duffel that's not as rainproof as it once was. I'd put items in it that I want to keep dry and up (typically) out of harms way, tent, sleeping bag, food, mess kit, extra mid layer. Looks like it'd carry a 12 pack back from the liquor store after a good ride, too. If Colorado is anywhere close to as rainy again this summer as it was last summer I'll need a nice big dry bag for my gear.

I'd love to win the trip too, with our newest ADVer almost a month old now I'm going to be staying at home with her until she's ready to go to school so we're on a 1 income budget now and vacations/adventuring are difficult to prioritize!

Bike it'd go on;

Evie, the new ADVer;

Her first scooter will likely be a 50cc trials bike

Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Interested in more info on these, and the Dual sport version..........long oval, intermediate, round, what head shape is it designed for? Etc.

Quote:
Has anyone heard of LS2 Helmets?
The brand is fairly new to the U.S., and I only have one ride with the helmet, but recently I learned a lot about the brand down in Argentina at the Dakar Rally. LS2 sponsored over 70 riders at this year’s rally including the 2015 moto champion, Marc Coma. On the first day in Buenos Aires, I actually saw several motorcycle commuters riding around town wearing LS2 helmets, and when I arrived at the bivouac, there was a crowd of racers at the LS2 pits picking up their helmets with the official camouflage design. The Dakar racers used the LS2 MX456 helmet for the rally, but they also make a sweet-looking adventure helmet MX453.

For those who want some more info on it, LS2 is actually a very large helmet company that private labels 1 million OEM helmets and also sells 1 million LS2 helmets every year. After every stage, the LS2 reps would change out the liners for the racers, and I learned that the cheek pads are laser cut from a single piece of foam for a better, more comfortable fit. The MX456 is a lightweight, composite fiberglass helmet with a “pump fit system” that inflates cheek pads for all-day comfort and a perfect fit. There is loads of ventilation and a fully removable, washable liner that wicks moisture and is treated to be odor and bacteria resistant. DOT/ECE certification assures quality and safety standards. I did find that the helmet sizing runs small, so you need to bump up one helmet size. All the racers that started the 14-day, 5,600-mile Dakar Rally with the LS2 helmet finished it with the LS2 helmet. If the helmet wasn’t comfortable and well ventilated, they would have switched it out at the first opportunity.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Notsluggo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wolfman....Mmmmm

This bag would look excellent on the back of my 2014.5 KLR 650 (black and Matt-gray color-scheme).After more than 30 years away, I'm getting back into the dirt - and this bag would work wonderfully keeping my gear dry and organized as I re-learn my off-road skills in and around the spectacular mountains in beautiful Colorado.
Thanks for offering the chance to win!
2014 KLR650 - as yet unnamed
Parker, CO
Notsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Wolfman expedition duffel

Quote:

Official rules here
This would be on the back of my 2001 Drz400s and would be awesome for my first big dual sport trip to Moab in April!!!! Would be ideal for packing clothes and the camping gear that will be needed for the trip. Along with my tool roll and misc. bits! A friend is lending me a set of your side bags for the trip, which I can't wait to try before I buy, so the matching duffel would be pretty cool
-Spikehead
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
Aleph10
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Hoping to enter the Wolfman competition

Hey Guys, poorly paramedic student here riding an 08 KLR and this bag would be great to use on my daily commuter to carry textbooks and medical equipment back and forth everyday. Cheers and thanks for the competition

Quote:

Official rules here
Aleph10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #14
RMScott OP
RMATV/MC Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Interested in more info on these, and the Dual sport version..........long oval, intermediate, round, what head shape is it designed for? Etc.
The Dual Sport LS2 helmet, or MX453, has a "long oval" shape. It's got a lightweight fiberglass tricomposite shell with a moisture wicking inner liner. There is also a bit more room in the chin area which aids air intake when working hard off-road. The peak, or visor, has huge flow-thru spaces so that it will have minimal lift at higher speeds. It is DOT and ECE approved and comes with a 5 year warranty against manufacturer defects. And the price is the icing on the cake!

Here's a link to our site for more info and pricing: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...met?term=mx453
And if you want to see a cool LS2 factory tour video, check out this site http://ls2helmets.us/_live/

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
boydracing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Love Mine!!

Quote:

Official rules here
I was one of the lucky recipients of this bag, and I have to say it's the best bag I have hands down. I love it! Thanks again Eric!

Marc Boyd
boydracing is offline   Reply With Quote