User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #16
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
The biggest difference I see is that with Mapsource, you are working only with what's on the computer, then you have to upload/download to the GPS. With Basecamp, you can work that way, or you can work "live" with data on the GPS. So you can see what's on the GPS without uploading all the data to your computer. I find it easier to make sure that I transferred the proper track and that it is working on the GPS, with Basecamp.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 628
There are two "features" missing in BaseCamp that I can't (won't) do without and one that I really miss. Waypoint categories, track filtering (true filtering, not the upload filter that BaseCamp has) and true custom avoids. As it is I use both, BaseCamp (Mac) for quick and dirty information gathering and MapSource for serious multiple day route planning. BaseCamp is slowly improving and has a few features the I wish MapSource had but for me, NQRFPT.

I really wish they'd both go back to looking like maps in their graphics rendering and not like a crayon drawing.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
roadmagnet
roadmagnet

Oddometer: 9
why the change

I use MapSource extensivelly for planning routes on my laptop. Not gonna plan and multi day trip looking at a relatively small Zumo screen.

I undestand that BaseCamp is supposed to let you edit maps and routes that are direclty on the Zumo, while looking through the PC. Who wants to have to keep the Zumo plugged in to the laptop? I like creating and editing, then uploading into the device. Some egghead got an idea to do something different and it is supposed to be better? Wonder how many of them actually ride bikes using their product?

Now I read the MapSource will no longer be supported. What a disappointment !

My biggest problem with BaseCamp is that the library organization is completely different. I cant even find my older MapSource maps through the Base Camp interface.

Also the routes do not display time and mileage in the sidebar window. You have to dclick the route to get this informaiton. How stupid is this?

I'm sure Garmin has a reason for what they have done, but I have been fooled before. Sometime these developers think that unless something consistently improves it becomes stale. Truth is - sometimes something works and you should just leave it alone.
roadmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote