Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #166
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Oddometer: 285
Tires

Dad,
What size wheels does the VXA have? Wasn't it a 17" rear. A 130 or 150? If I remember right, the front is an 18". Is it a 110 or 120? The Kenda for the rear should be no problem. Is the one for the front actually a rear tire being put on backwards?
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #167
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
VXA Adventure

Front is 110/80/18, rear is150/70/17, and you are correct on front tire, It is a rear tire being mounted on front in backward rotation. I found a few weeks ago a real good explanation for mounting the tire that way, but I can't find it now. I couldn't begin to give a detailed explanation on this, but for those of you that have never herd of this, It has to do with the tire construction and geometry and how the tire is forces to make tighter contact with the road during rotation. If the entire process was explained correctly, it would make perfect sense.

LikeItLoud
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though I grow older with passing day, I REFUSE to grow up!
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #168
ban
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Mixing Radial and Bias Ply?

Back on post #164 you said "taking the advice of another inmate on both tires". Did the other inmate mix a radial and a bia ply tires?

Shinko - 705, 150/70R-17 Tubeless Radial
Kenda - K761, 110/80-18 Tube Type Bias Ply

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Dan Stanford
ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #169
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
I believe the Shinko 705 is still available in bias for 150/70-17 alongside the radial version
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #170
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Tires

That combination is what he has and said that there is no problem. I have to admit that I was skeptical about it also, so I ask the salesman at Motorcycle Superstore about the combination when I ordered the rear tire, he assured me that there WOULDN'T BE ANY problem, and that because of so many different sizes being used on bikes today, it is a common thing.

LikeItLoud
-------------------------------------------------------------
Though with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #171
ban
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Another option for the front

I found a Shinko - 705, 140/70R-17 Tube Type Bias Ply but no 150

I am looking at the Avon AM44 for the front. It is a bias ply but it is tubeless.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Dan Stanford
ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #172
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Front springs

I just installed the front springs this morning, I am amazed at the difference just setting on it. If all goes as planed, I'll get it on some back roads tomorrow.

LikeItLoud

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #173
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Front Wheels

Hey Mag,

Only just stumbled across this. Great build, and a lovely torquey engine for the job. I ran a VX800 for quite a while, and did some big trips on that miserable standard plank of a seat! Couple of things that may have come up that I didn't spot in the thread concerning the front wheel:

These things are near impossible to replace as the model run was short and not a lot made it to the end of the production line. The stock front wheel is a very scarce item if you ever damage one. However, in case you don't know, the alloy front wheel from the Suzi 250 'Across' bike is a straight slip-in fit. Different spokes, but you'd be hard-pressed to spot that at a glance. Size is 17" instead of 18" (yeah - I know - Wrong way for an adventure bike) but gives you a much wider choice of dual-sport tyres (or does here).

I still have a slightly damaged but still usable VX800 front wheel sitting under my house. Has had some metal taken off the rim edge that has been blended smooth. Took a long time to find a replacement, and I found out about the Across modification afterwards! The smaller front wheel makes handling much better. Anyway, if you ever need a spare VX800 front wheel and can get it to your place, it's free! Too pretty to throw out!

Have fun with the beast. Strangely unpopular here in Aus, but I loved mine. Cheers, Mick.
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #174
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Gps

Finally got my new GPS mount.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #175
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Do you have updated maps in your 120? I have the same gps and can only upload tracks with 250 trackpoints or less and the only way I have gotten those into the unit is with a free software program so I am not able top edit tracks or else it would be great.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #176
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Gps

Hi Unc, No, my 120 doesn't have any updates on it, Mag gave it to me about 5 years ago, the only time I use it is when I go elk hunting, wouldn't be without it up in these Idaho Mountains. When I checked with Cabelas 3 years ago they said It could be updated with anything I wanted, a little spendy thou as I recall, but I was only using it for hunting at that time so I haven't given it any more thought until a few months when I thought it would be great on the bike, I'll check with Cabelas again and let you what we can do. There is a Cabelas here in Boise, sure is handy. The mount I got off Ebay for about $20, looks like it will hold up to the great highways of northern Alaska.

LikeItLoud
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #177
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Oddometer: 285
I still have another one like it. If we could get a new map, I wonder if we could load it in all 3 Garmins. I have the Nuvi also, so I haven't played with the Rhino in a while.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #178
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

I was sure that you still had the other one, now I'm inspired to see just what is available for the 120, if we can load all 3 with the same map, well that would just be cool. Let you know this evening.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #179
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

I am going to be offline for a week tomorrow, leaving on my honeymoon tomorrow at Sturgis
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #180
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,654
Inspiring work. I always appreciate those willing to go different than the pack!

If I might, I would suggest using the existing top case mount and adding a couple of small loups to it in strategic places, then using some soft luggage on it. I used these on my Scrambler, and they worked great! Plus they were only a little more than $100, and came with waterproof covers.

Your brackets would work great with these.

Also, I would like to suggest a set of used aftermarket shocks. The stockers are not very good, and you can pick up a set like I did for less than $100.

Just measure yours, eye to eye, and look on E-bay and here on the flea market.

I'm looking forward to your long ride, and how it does.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote