Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Come on dad, let's see some photos as you build this beast. Come to think of it, this thread probably belongs in the beast section. Or maybe not, I don't think Touratech makes any accessories for it so it can't be a beast.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 AM   #17
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
Come on dad, let's see some photos as you build this beast. Come to think of it, this thread probably belongs in the beast section. Or maybe not, I don't think Touratech makes any accessories for it so it can't be a beast.
It started out in the Beast section, but one of the administrators moved it, probably because we are starting with a street bike. You're right, we aren't going to find any adventure accessories specific to this bike from touratech or any other after market company.
Thanks for the note. We'll keep you posted on the build.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #18
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I think it belongs in Beasts, too. It's going to be built and ridden as a Beast. It'll get more attention there, as well as input/ideas from other inmates. I never would have found this thread if it hadn't been there to begin with. I never look at Road Warriors.

This needs to be moved back to Beasts.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #19
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
OK, Dad finely got in here. It took me a few days and instructions from my Son to guide me in. Thank you for showing interest in our VX Adventure bike. I got a lot of work to do on it before I start assembly, Going to pack triple tree bearings, wheel bearings, and give it a good maintenance job, this is a good to do it, rather than along the road someplace. Than it gets a new coat of paint. We are open to all suggestions, advice and comments. Thanks again, LikeItLoud
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #20
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,040
Here's mine with fork boots and Avon Distanzia dual-sport tires mounted. The front is a 110/80-18 rear mounted backwards. It worked fantastically.

I did the same front fender mod to raise it above the tire.

Just after mounting the Distanzias...

After a little dirt-roadin' and a little muddin'...

After I caught a huge nail in the rear, I had a Shinko 705 150/70-17 on the rear for a while, and it worked very well.

The VX800 is now cleaned up for sale and back to street trim with street tires -- I have a V-Strom now and it's a far better tool for beating up on dirt roads.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #21
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Good stuff. Thanks for the post. What did you do about luggage? Did you just go with soft-bags? I know the bike only has about 5 inches of suspension travel. Was that a problem during your off-road experiences? Ours probably won't go much further into the dirt than some fire-trails and two-tracks, but I guess you never know.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #22
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Question for bwringer, what size tire do you have on the front? It looks larger than the 110-80
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #23
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeItLoud View Post
Question for bwringer, what size tire do you have on the front? It looks larger than the 110-80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Here's mine with fork boots and Avon Distanzia dual-sport tires mounted. The front is a 110/80-18 rear mounted backwards. It worked fantastically.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #24
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,246
Moved back to Beasts at the OP's request because he's converting it to a Beast.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #25
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:

After I caught a huge nail in the rear, I had a Shinko 705 150/70-17 on the rear for a while, and it worked very well.

The VX800 is now cleaned up for sale and back to street trim with street tires -- I have a V-Strom now and it's a far better tool for beating up on dirt roads.
Linky to ad?

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Moved back to Beasts at the OP's request because he's converting it to a Beast.
Thank you Gadget Boy!! Good on ya, man!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #27
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

The Avon Distanzia on the front of my VX800 was a 100/80-18, same as the stock front size on the VX800. It's actually a rear tire mounted to rotate backwards from its intended direction of rotation.

It looks bigger mostly because of the deeper tread. In fact, I had to mount the front fender a little higher because it was very close to the tire -- any rock caught in the tread would scar the fender.

The Distanzia in this size can be a little hard to find, but I ordered mine from http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRE..._distanzia.htm (just checked -- still available!)

I put about 8,000 miles on mine with no trouble or odd wear at all, and had plenty of grip and feel from the front end. I switched back to road tires, but it wasn't worn out.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #28
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
Linky to ad?
Yeah, I suppose it wouldn't kill me to get off my ass and put up an ad...

Gimme a few minutes...

Here ya go: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15555819

bwringer screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 04:46 PM
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #29
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Avon Distanzia

Hey BWringer,
What did you think of those Avon Dsitanzas? I have Metzler Tourances on my GS and they are fine on the road and very hard-packed dirt roads, but they are no off-road tire. Mud is dangerous and loose dirt feels just like you're riding on street tires. Those Avons look like they might dig in a little better. I've heard good reviews on them. I was just curious how they performed on a pseudo adventure bike conversion.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #30
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:

That's fucking cool. My Dad made a 71' CB350 into a full on dirt bike to chase me with. 78' YZ 250 front end, raised shock mounts, off road shocks. It was a beast, but a blast to ride!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote