Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #31
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Yeah, how you like those Avons? Had street meats ( not dist) on my TL when I had it and loved the wear. I have deathwings on my Wee and they suck. I think I'm going with TKC's all the way around. I ride a little dirt and mud.
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #32
Danny955i
Toe Cutter

Oddometer: 36
Great build.

I almost bought one of these for sale last year.... My only issue is that my brother has a 800 Intruder (1987) and it is AWFUL to work on.

Carburetors are impossible to get to, air-filter of the front cylinder is a nightmare, and if you have to put a clutch in it, beware that the pegs are nearly impossible to get off...

Once it's in good order... it runs like a CHAMP!!!!

Just make sure you take care of the gas you put in it... StaBil in the winter, and regular runs of "Carb/Fuel Injector" cleaner... you don't want to have to pull the carbs.

Isn't it fun when you're ripping around and you flog it and the rear end lifts up? I LOVE that shaft drive :).

Danny955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #33
John Steed
Too cheap to buy one

Oddometer: 223
I like those weird conversions!

Whatever suit you is the best solution! No compromises there and the limit is the imagination (ok, and the money allright! )

Keep them coming, I'm subscribed to this!!!!

Rebuilding an SRX 400, as to be my first bike!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661797

John Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #34
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Looks Cool!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #35
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny955i View Post
Great build.

I almost bought one of these for sale last year.... My only issue is that my brother has a 800 Intruder (1987) and it is AWFUL to work on.

Carburetors are impossible to get to, air-filter of the front cylinder is a nightmare, and if you have to put a clutch in it, beware that the pegs are nearly impossible to get off...

Once it's in good order... it runs like a CHAMP!!!!

Just make sure you take care of the gas you put in it... StaBil in the winter, and regular runs of "Carb/Fuel Injector" cleaner... you don't want to have to pull the carbs.

Isn't it fun when you're ripping around and you flog it and the rear end lifts up? I LOVE that shaft drive :).
We know all about those carburetors. They can be a pain, but after you've worked on them a few times, they aren't that bad.
I think I mentioned earlier that dad rode a 700 Intruder for years. A few years ago when he was living in California, we decided to ride over to Reno. My brother was also riding a 700 Intruder and I have a Cagiva Allizurra I was riding at the time. Dad had just picked up a new rear tire for his so I decided I was going to burn the old one off right in front of his house. I got that tire spinning and smoke was rolling off the tire. Dad thought that was really funny to see his cruiser smoking the tire like that so he ran in the house to get his video camera. By the time he came out, I had stopped, but was very easily convinced to do it again. So I'm holding the front brake and I have all my weight on the front forks. I rev the engine and drop the clutch and the bike revs to the moon, but no smoke. Not even a chirp. We were up half the night replacing the clutch on that bike, because we were leaving first thing the next morning. Luckily we had everything we needed to fix it. By the time we got back from that ride, Kevin's (my brother) clutch was going and then the clutch on a Suzuki Marauder went out a few years later which I was riding during another visit. Then last time dad visited me in Missouri, we did the clutch on his 1400. One thing we figured out when we did Kevin's clutch is that there is one thick friction disc and several thin ones. When we did Kevin's, we didn't have a new friction disc set. We just picked the best discs from the 2 slipping clutches, but we did use both thick ones. That made for a great clutch and lasted him for several years. We did the same thing to dad's 1400 last summer. I fully expect to replace the clutch in the VX at some point, hopefully not next summer on our way to Deadhorse Alaska.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #36
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Update

Here's an update from Dad:
I started out with some material out of my resource supply and in a couple hours I had a carrying rack for my top box and side boxes, only take about 20 minutes to finish when I get the side boxes. You can see that I used the passenger peg mounts and the handle behind the passenger to bolt it down to. That frame work is about as solid as the bike frame itself. I have had the box for so long that I don't remember where it came from. Cost of this rack is a few penny's for electric to use chop saw and welder. The box on the side represents the size of what my side boxes will be, 20X18X8. Going to make a rack to mount on front that will carry a cooler or gas can or sleeping bag. covers part of headlight, but on long distance trips, there is no need to be traveling at night, or very little.
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #37
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

More

Grab handle.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #38
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Passenger Pegs

Passenger Pegs.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #39
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Trunk Mount

Trunk Mount.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #40
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Trunk Mounted

Trunk Mounted
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #41
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Cooler

Cooler
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #42
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Gas Can

Gas Can
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #43
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
I did something similar when mounting luggage to my VX. We used the oem grab bars:

Bolted them to the passenger pegs

The top case was mounted to the bags themselves and the rear grab bar.

Finished:

Unfortunately the reason I did it never panned out, but it was a fun project. I'm watching this thread with great interest. I'll likely sell mine and maybe get a dr650 or something like that to compliment my fz1.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #44
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

WolfTamer,
I really like the way yours turned out. It's amazing how much we are willing to spend on farkels, when a little ingenuity can go so far. Maybe that's what I enjoy about these kinds of builds the most; we have to build it ourselves because nobody else does. We don't need to spend $20,000 in order to have a functional bike. I deliberately left out the word, "adventure" in that last sentence, because I'm sure the definition is highly debatable. I would venture to say that if a bike takes you where you are going and you consider it an adventure, it is an adventure bike. A few inches of extra suspension travel and 2 inches more in front wheel diameter probably make it more off-road worthy, but don't make up for riding experience and ability. My guess is Dad's VX will go anywhere I would take my GS and he wouldn't be nearly as upset if (when) he dropped it. That's my 2 cents!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #45
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Vx

Thank you WolfTamer for the pics for watching the reconditioning and modification of my VX. It is amazing how much you can do with so little. LikeItLoud By the the way, I wish I had your seat.
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote