Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #46
John Steed
Too cheap to buy one

Oddometer: 223
Looking good and solid!

Carry on!

Rebuilding an SRX 400, as to be my first bike!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661797

John Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #47
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeItLoud View Post
Thank you WolfTamer for the pics for watching the reconditioning and modification of my VX. It is amazing how much you can do with so little. LikeItLoud By the the way, I wish I had your seat.
It looks like a couch but it's comfy as all get out! If I didn't already have a buyer lined up, I'd offer a swap.

Check out theWolfTamer Chronicles, my blog about my motorcycle life
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #48
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Oddometer: 285
Pegs

From this.....
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #49
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Pegs

...to this!
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #50
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Thumb VXAdventure bike

Nice to follow your build as I had one and enjoyed riding it for several years. I only sold it because I had no time to ride while building our house and hated to see it just sit.

I rode many dirt roads as that is my favorite riding. Not fast, just to see where the road goes. However... While I would snap one up at a good price, I had figured out what I would want to do to it to suit me better and it really worked out that the only parts I would keep of the stock VX was the engine.

From my experience on dirt roads I wanted:
Better forks. MUCH better forks. I had put in stiffer springs which are needed even for street riding but it needs more travel. It just beat up my wrists and the mirrors would loosen in a few minutes so I took them off until getting back to pavement.

Better steering geometry. The rake of the forks made for heavy steering off paved roads.

Spoke wheels to ditch the heavy cast rims.

Good rear shocks with as much travel as possible.
Works Performance custom builds would be my choice.

Proper handle bars. I installed bars that were much better than stock but was limited to them because the stock cables would not allow me to use raised mounts with higher bars, new cables would be needed.

Rear wheel hub from the spoke Intruder with an aluminum rim.

Better seat.

Add lightness.

I love the simplicity of shaft drive but the stock gearing is not good for my riding. First gear I would like lower and on the hwy, a (much) higher 5th would be much more relaxing.

For me the VX is just too expensive to build to make me happy on dirt roads.

I applaud your goal of a low budget build. You can do it and enjoy riding it. After all, that is the point of converting a street bike into a go anywhere adv bike.

I started a build this winter for the fun of it, a Honda VTX 1800 F of all beasts. Husky USD front end, long travel shocks, and was starting on the custom fuel tank when I realized it was just too stinking HEAVY! Weight of the bike is a joy killer off paved roads to me so I have abandoned that project. Hmmm, same situation with the VX, the engine is the only part I would keep.

However, if you can enjoy riding a bike you have modified and personalized and ride at speeds it is comfortable to you at, that is the best bike for you.

I really Like the VX, how they look, sound, and ride, on paved roads. Dirt roads not so much. The more pavement you ride the better your VXA will be I believe.

Now if Suzuki would just use that engine and build a true offroad capable ADV bike (much more dirt oriented than the Weestrom) and build it LIGHT instead of the porky ADV advertized bikes some brands sell, That bike would be really something! 6 speed tranny, shaft drive, long travel suspension, fuel injection, fuel tank under the seat and air box up under the "fuel tank" shell, fat bars with cables long enough for any choice of handlebars, strong rack mounts, engine protection... yes they could do it right, but will they? Not likely. That is why we build our own.

I am sure there is market for an ADV twin like the big KTM that is light and affordable. The new Yamaha and Honda ADV bikes are neither light nor affordable.

I know that many have ridden pure street bikes around the world and to every inaccessible place so it can be done, just up to the rider.

I am quite happy with my DR650, it isn't stock but it is far better than I could build a VX into. For me. Your results may be different.

As long as you keep your expectations reasonable you will be happy with the bike. If you can ride 1k on an Intruder in one day, you can ride anything!

I am looking forward to seeing your progress and what you think of each modification. Keep up the good work!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #51
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
VXAdventure

Hello JagLite, Thank you for your experience, pros and cons on the VX. We started out looking at other Adventure bikes, but with about 25 bikes between my Son and I, we taught we must have something that would work, and we did. We talked about most of the pros and cons that you mentioned and we agree with you 100%. I'm hoping the worst road I'll be taking will be from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay, but hard telling where I'll take it. With about 45 years of biking behind me, I'll ride just about anything, just about anyplace. Keep watching, and don't hesitate to throw in a comment or suggestion at any time.

LikeItLoud
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #52
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
weighing in on the VX

I owned a VX for a couple years...sadly I sold it before a relocation and wish I never had. It really was a great bike. Also owned an intruder....same motor cruiser body. The engine is incredible the bike was an amazing all-rounder. To this day I am on the hunt for another.......

Great build great thread great Bike

Only 1 complaint........

Stop telling people though the freakin prices will go up!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #53
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger View Post
I owned a VX for a couple years...sadly I sold it before a relocation and wish I never had. It really was a great bike. Also owned an intruder....same motor cruiser body. The engine is incredible the bike was an amazing all-rounder. To this day I am on the hunt for another.......

Great build great thread great Bike

Only 1 complaint........

Stop telling people though the freakin prices will go up!!!!!!!
Keystinger,
Good luck on your quest for another VX. I know there weren't a lot of them sold in the states, so between the wrecked ones and the adventurized ones, finding a 15-20 year old bike that was rare in the first might be a challenge. I was surprised to see they actually produced them for 7 years. I had only ever seen one in person before the one Dad and I acquired.
If you find one, post some pics here.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #54
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Exhaust Before

Exhaust before.......
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #55
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Exhaust After

Another note from Dad on his VXA (Adventure)
"Before and after on right side exhaust pipe. The dent was worse than the picture indicates. I brazed a rod to the center of the dent, slid a large socket on the rod, than brazed a washer on end of rod to make a slide hammer. Heating the outer circumference of the dent and pulling the dent out with the slide hammer. Worked great, got about 90% of it out, than kinda leveled it out with the brazing rod. Than a coat of heat resistant paint. Good enough for me."
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #56
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Update

"This bike had a lot of broken and missing pieces when we got it, here is another example, the tach and speedo. I wasn't going to put a tach & speedo back on, but this assembly came available on Ebay for $40".
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #57
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Tach.

Tach and speedo.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #58
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Handlebars

"Here is another, the handlebar, don't have a new one yet."
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #59
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Handlebars

Handlebars
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #60
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Front End

"Taking it apart to get to the bearings."
Attached Images