User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #76
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Oddometer: 285
More paint

I can't wait to see it put back together.
Attached Images

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #77
zen rider
veteran rider

Oddometer: 207
Teal Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
New paint. Now it really will be the most unusual VX (A) ever!
Hey the VX is already an unusual but cool bike. With some off road pretensions it is becoming sort of like a Japanese Triumph Scrambler, also in a cool-unusual way. IMO that color is just weird though.

I had a VX for a few years in metallic black. I set-up the suspension with better fork springs while replacing my fork seals (too many wheelies). That bike did much better first gear wheelies than my Wee, though in all other ways the Wee outshines it. For a longer wheelbase bike it handled pretty well and had great torque. Finicky carbs were a pain I recall. It didn't depreciate a bit when I sold it, as these bikes appeal to a wide range of buyers.

Your ground clearance and suspension travel will always be a real limitation off road.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #78
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Teal Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post
Hey the VX is already an unusual but cool bike. With some off road pretensions it is becoming sort of like a Japanese Triumph Scrambler, also in a cool-unusual way. IMO that color is just weird though.

I had a VX for a few years in metallic black. I set-up the suspension with better fork springs while replacing my fork seals (too many wheelies). That bike did much better first gear wheelies than my Wee, though in all other ways the Wee outshines it. For a longer wheelbase bike it handled pretty well and had great torque. Finicky carbs were a pain I recall. It didn't depreciate a bit when I sold it, as these bikes appeal to a wide range of buyers.

Your ground clearance and suspension travel will always be a real limitation off road.
Dad put a note in the email he sent with the pictures about the paint. Bottom line is....it was free. Remember, this is a budget build.
Thanks for the comments about the suspension. Unfortunately for Dad, he is a little bit height challenged to start with, so even a bike like the Wee would have to be lowered for him. No matter what he rides, he would have to give up some of the suspension that makes the bike truly better off-road. A set of progressive springs in the front might do the trick, about as well as any with the limitation on ground clearance we have to work with.
Back to the paint, I'm sure he'll put it all together this weekend so we can see it. It may end up being one of those love-hate bikes where you either love it or hate it. Or maybe everyone will just hate it and he'll get enough peer pressure to just cover it with Rhinoliner. Don't hesitate to let him know, he has pretty thick skin.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #79
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

New handlebars

New handlebars are in.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #80
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

New handlebars

Another view.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #81
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
I guess we do need to keep in mind that this bike is being built primarily to ride up to Prudhoe Bay and run the Dalton Highway. So as long as it has some ground clearance and can mount aggressive tires, I think its a success. Well he also has to be comfortable on the bike. The paint job might now look to bad. He won't be hard to find in a crowd, that's for sure. Keep up the good work on the bike. Look forward to riding with ya'll.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #82
Jeff Watts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hey M@gneto, How long are the barrels on that SXS up there? Looks like they'd reach into the next zip code!
Jeff Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #83
LikeItLoud
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts View Post
Hey M@gneto, How long are the barrels on that SXS up there? Looks like they'd reach into the next zip code!

Hello Jeff, LikeItLoud Here. Its funny that I am so focus on my bike project that I didn't realize that I was advertising one of my other hobbys. That is actually a 1872 Remington, first year of their brake open, and it is not a Damascus barrel. The barrel is not as long as the pic makes it out to be, its only 32", but it is certainly a treasure.

LikeItLoud
__________________________________________________ ______________

Tho with each passing day I grow older, I REFUSE to grow up!
LikeItLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #84
Jeff Watts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Cool!

BTW, I LIKE the color. Hang the haters. Bikes come in so few colors per model that you can tell the year by the paint. It sucks. Glad to see something different.
Jeff Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #85
Scorch_TX
Suzuki disciple

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen rider View Post
Agreed, this was a really unique model, very capable. As usual, Suzuki makes a really nice bike and no one buys it. Me included, I'm afraid, although I will say, I was planning to buy one and went to make the deal... I took a buddy with my and he talked me into getting another great unsung hero, the GSX1100G. Always loved the VX, though.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #86
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

Easter update

Show you what I did for turn signals. The one on the left was an original VX signal, one was broken beyond any repair and another was missing. But I had a bunch of signal lights that I had taken off my VS Intruders, 2nd from left, mounting them was only a slight problem, had to thread the mounting base, 3rd, than a little black paint and I had my signal light problem solved.

OK guys, It's about 90% done. Got it out in the sunlight today. My only real problem left is the gas tank, this one is garbage. Those of you that are familiar with the VX, know that the bottom of the tank is about half the thickness if a beer can and the top shell isn't much thicker. Will mine is totally rotted out, way beyond any repair. Don't panic over the windshield guys, it will be changed or maybe someone knows how I could re stain this one. I hope you guys like the fork boots, that was bigger job to than I expected, to find boots to fit and look good. It really hurts to take a raiser blade to a new $30 boot when you are only trying to make it look better. I think I nailed it. Another item I am very happy with is the rack over the front fender. I still have to add a support to it. $5 on Ebay. I have heated grips coming any day now, I might not have got them if it hadn't been for my Son, he said that I should have them, and I know he is right. I still need to get progressive springs for the front, new tires, and a few odds and ends. It will also be fitted with a GPS, I have a Garmon and I just found a good mount for it a few weeks ago. And new bark busters, got to block off the cold air from the hands. Probably wont get the side boxes until this fall. There will be more pics as I add new items, but summer is upon us and I still have some work to do on my Cruiser, and 3 other cruisers to polish up for sale. Please guys, don't hesitate to throw in your opinions and comments. Just remembered, in a few days there will be a real cool addition to the bike and a new pic so keep watching. And by the way, the passenger in the box is my Grandson, Seth. And ya, the fat guy setting on the bike, that's me. The picture would have been awesome if it had been my wife setting on it.

LikeItLoud

M@gneto screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:39 PM
Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #87
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

front

Front
Attached Images

M@gneto screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:36 PM
Old 04-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #88
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

left

left
Attached Images

M@gneto screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:36 PM
Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #89
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

left rear

left rear
Attached Images

M@gneto screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:37 PM
Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #90
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Moto-Nomad

right

right
Attached Images

M@gneto screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 01:37 PM