Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #241
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,178
So... this weekend is a 2 day event at Broome Tioga in Binghamton NY, formerly one of the stops for the AMA nationals and a fun track that has 6th gear wide open straights over natural rolling terrain as well as a small supercross section in the track.
Saturday is regular vintage(as well as modern mx) racing on the full national track and Sunday is a 30 min. gp on the grass track at the top of the hill. A team race will run after the grass gp with three laps for each rider and a baton passing in between riders. Sounds fun!
After racing on Sunday the track is open to practice on so you are sure to get enough riding in! I have to make sure I have enough gas...
Leaving late afternoon and hoteling it both nights, full race report to follow.
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #242
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,927
the team race sounds like fun. Hilarious. Great idea.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #243
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Team racing is more fun if you just use 1 bike.

Or 2up racing. With jumps.

Or egg races. Duct tape an egg to each seat. Winner is the first across the line with an unbroken egg.

Father/son races on the sons bike. Some sons ride PW50's, some ride XR500's...

Just a few of the thing we've done at the xmas classic mx meeting.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #244
pvangel OP
Team AARP

What a weekend! Weather was perfect, Track was perfect, Racing was great, full race report coming but I am shot from two days of racing and the 3+ hr ride home today...

Broome Tioga,

Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #245
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,746
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #246
pvangel OP
Team AARP

A view from the other side looking back at the pits, grass track at the top of the hill. You can see why it was a great National track!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #247
pvangel OP
Team AARP

So a fun weekend of racing, I raced the +30 vintage 80's class and came up with a 1-1 in that class. They run multiple classes together and although there might be only 5-6 riders in your class the gate is full with 30+ riders so you might be racing against 250's or open bikes while I was on my 89 CR 125. I finished 2nd overall in the first moto but second moto I got the holeshot and ran away with the race, there was a CR 250 behind me by about 10 seconds at the finish. I have never done that before and it was more exhausting than playing catch up because of the pressure of being out front. To make matters worse I had a flat front tire, I had one earlier in practice so I threw a tube in quick without checking to see why it went flat and turned out there was a staple in the tire so the front went flat midway through the race just to add to the pressure on me! all in all the best race of the season for me.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #248
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Second class I raced was the vintage 80's 125 GP which runs with all the modern 125's as well. there are also experts that run in the GP as there is no skill level in GP's. I had a great start in the first moto and was first or second but had lined up way out side and couldn't make the corner so ended up out in the grass and than fighting to get back on track. did catch up to the guy in the lead of my class and was able to pass him and sneak away abit from him. So another win for the day and probably a top ten finish in the moto. Second moto I got a terrible start and was back of pack so I put my head down and started pickin off riders until I could see the leader of my class. I cought up to him on the 4th lap of a 5 lap race but when hitting the finish line jump the checkered flag was out, They cut the race to 4 laps for some reason so I had to settle for second in the moto and second for the day. I'll take it!
Great day of racing and then a few cold cans of adult beverages and some trackside dining before heading back to the hotel and collapsing before day 2...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #249
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,927
Thats awesome! Good wins.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #250
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Second day was a 20 minute moto on the grass track, I felt like I went a few rounds with Mike Tyson so did up some Ibuprofen and geared up for the first race.
My 89 seemed to lose water from the radiator so I raced the 11 yz 125 in the modern class. The track although smooth with almost no bumps and one natural jump is very technical because of the loose soil and no berms or ruts so cornering technic is everything. Rubber band start on a steep uphill covered in grass is not a 125's strong point but I did get off well and was able to make quite a few passes and I think I finished top 10? i actually never checked but had a great time doing something a little different.
Second race of the day was the team race and the computer picked the teams and I had a guy on a BSA 500 and an older late 70's KTM 250. Again it was a rubber band start and then you had to wait on the top of the start hill were the other rider had to sprint up and tag you to go. The BSA was first and the guy was very fast, he was way out in front when he ran up the hill and tagged me for my 3 laps, I was out in front so there was no dust and there didn't seem to be anybody behind me? than I could hear the rumble of a four stroke gaining on me and some young kid blew by me on the last lap. I came into the pits and had to do the uphill sprint in full MX gear after about 10 min of riding full bore an my feet just wouldn't move, it didn't help that my brother was trying to knock me down from a linemans stance but I made it buy him made the tag passed out in the grass and the KTM was in second place by about 10 seconds which is where we finished, second place out of 11 teams for the day.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #251
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Racing was done at noon on Saturday and they opened up the whole national track for open practice so I had to ride right? I did two 20 minute moto's mostly by myself just ripping up that big hill in the picture shifting all the way up it YZ screaming pulling my fat ass up it and then jumping the 40' gap at the top...good weekend of racing.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #252
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,746
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #253
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,221
Great results and report! I proved to myself this year it's harder to lead a race than you's think.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #254
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Fun on the National track on the 89 CR 125

Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #255
pvangel OP
Team AARP

My son on Sunday at the grass track