User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #136
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Some guy was telling me the other night that he had a bike you could kick into "off road" gearing when he was a kid, maybe a 90 of some kind?
Hey man, this is what you are thinking about. Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda all had bike with dual range transmissions. I have a Suzuki TC90 at home that has a 4 speed dual range tranny. 35mph in 4th low, 70 (SEVENTY) in 4th high. (2 stroke)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737486

Quote:
Man I wish there was a way to get that low speed RPM grunt the 14T gives you while at the same time having that high speed low RPM ability the 16T or even higher tooth sprockets give ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Like having a granny gear on a truck. Why don't they have something like that for dual sports?
MxRob (http://mxrob.com/mxrob_004.htm) solved your wishes a year or more ago when he Fuel Injected his DR650 using a Micro Squirt unit. His bike idles at 1250rpm's, fuel shuts off on deceleration when throttle is closed and motor is about 2k rpm, his bike pulls like a horse, has 47hp, and delivers 50+mpg. Throw a 15th, and you've got LOW END grunt with no bogging, and high end power on the free way with the same HP as a carbed bike with less RPM

The condensed version: http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=23004

The WHOLE version: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-857903.html

It's next on my list when I get home. Though I'm sure it'll take a month or two!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #137
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
I haven't looked up any tires of this size yet, but can you run a 110/90 up front? Will it fit?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #138
shu

Oddometer: 978
Okay, my turn now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post

Quick questions:

1) What's your mpg for the 15T sprocket? 16T?

I switch between a 14T and 15T and find no difference in MPG. If I had to use only one sprocket I'd choose the 14T. It gives me better power/control off road and is still ok for the freeway. It's so easy to change the sprocket, though, that when I anticipate a day or more of interstate, I'll stop at McD's, buy a cup of coffee and leisurely change out my sprocket in their parking lot. It doesn't usually take more than 45 minutes, including unpacking/repacking tools and drinking the coffee. Pleasant, even fun. I change back for days filled with dirt roads and 2 laners in the mountains. As Eakins says, it really pulls better in all gears on the 14T.

2) Are those 5+ gal Safari tanks street legal in CA? A dealership guy told me plastic tanks aren't street legal, CA requires them to be metal. ???

I'm not sure that the plastic tanks are really 'legal' anywhere. The shipping box says 'For off road/racing use only'. Works fine though and no one has ever reported that any state had objected to them. I have a BMW F800ST also- it has a plastic tank under the seat, so it's not that unusual.

3) I'd like to go new but am not hating on used, do different years offer different options? Any I should stay away from?

Same bike for years. Personally, I would buy used: 2006 or newer, less than 5,000 miles and mostly used for getting around town.

4) One reason for the possible downsize is that I want to do a South American ride in the (hopefully nearish) future and am looking for a bike that is simple enough to fix with a few tools in the mud. The newer DR's don't have anything hitech I'd need to worry about does it?

How about Europe to Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, Russia, and back to Europe?
Changing oil in Turkey. I was done in 15 minutes, the BMW Dakars took well over an hour- 3 different places to drain from, plastic covers and various other pieces to remove just to do an oil change.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568261

Great bike for travel, rarely any problems and if you need parts, it's no more difficult than any other bike- which is to say it will be a hassle at times.

5) What panniers are most liked? I see a lot of Pelicans on these bikes, any thoughts on size? Also, if I did get the larger tank, are there any crash/engine guards that would still fit?

Pelicans are good. I have Moto-sport panniers. I like them but they are no longer available.
Hope this helps..................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #139
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Hey man, this is what you are thinking about. Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Honda all had bike with dual range transmissions. I have a Suzuki TC90 at home that has a 4 speed dual range tranny. 35mph in 4th low, 70 (SEVENTY) in 4th high. (2 stroke)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737486

MxRob (http://mxrob.com/mxrob_004.htm) solved your wishes a year or more ago when he Fuel Injected his DR650 using a Micro Squirt unit. His bike idles at 1250rpm's, fuel shuts off on deceleration when throttle is closed and motor is about 2k rpm, his bike pulls like a horse, has 47hp, and delivers 50+mpg. Throw a 15th, and you've got LOW END grunt with no bogging, and high end power on the free way with the same HP as a carbed bike with less RPM

The condensed version: http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=23004

The WHOLE version: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-857903.html

It's next on my list when I get home. Though I'm sure it'll take a month or two!

--Alex
That's right.

That injection stuff looks pretty cool. Not sure I have the ability to pull that project off.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #140
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post
Man I wish there was a way to get that low speed RPM grunt the 14T gives you while at the same time having that high speed low RPM ability the 16T or even higher tooth sprockets give ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Like having a granny gear on a truck. Why don't they have something like that for dual sports?
They do. It's called "highway gearing and slipping the clutch".

Short of that, aint you ever heard of an XT225?

Quote:
Maybe there could be some kind of gear changer engineered for the DR, like a mountain bike has? I'm dreaming, i know, but how awesome would it be for it to have the best of both worlds?
The DR has a gear changer. It's just in front of the left footpeg.

The tranny on the DR actually has a pretty good spread for a 5spd. It works even better if you sort the carbing on your DR so that it pulls nicely from low RPMs...and continues pulling well up to the rev limiter.

'You wanna feel a tranny that needs some more spread? Dualsport a DR-Z on the slab and in some tight rocks.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 PM   #141
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Or...

If you don't want to Fuel Inject the DR650, you could just swap it's twin brother's motor into the frame and add 10hp right off the bat

The pic is of a Suzuki XF650 Freewind. It is essentially a Street'ed DR650, with a standard 5 gallon tank, Electronic Dash board, and dual carb setup. Check it out. They make 47hp (Dr650 makes 37hp). That motor would BOLT into a Dr650 frame, though the oil cooler would need mounting.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_xf_650_freewind_2003.php

Here is a line up of them at the Cartagena, Colombia Suzuki dealership that serviced my bike while I was there. You can notice their crash bars with Police lights mounted on them.

I was able to see one with the tank off, and check out the dual carburetor system. It was a 2 into 1 manifold if I remember right.

The mounting bolts on the motor were the same.

Fuel Inject that baby, and you'd be running close to 60hp...

Just saying.
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #142
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,398
Alex:Thanks for your comments! Considering you're doing the trip I dream about (preferably minus some of the crashes ) you're comments are very much appreciated! I also only just discovered the existence of the Freewind and much like the Africa Twin and Tenere, I continue my lament that none of the really good mid-size stuff ever gets to the states!!

Shu: Great answers, very much appreciated!! The idea of an easy chain/sprocket is mind-blowing since I'm only used to the Wee (my first bike was a Honda shaftie). Believe me, I haven't forgotten the European/Asian countries - they're on the bucket list to ride too! - but SA has much less shipping costs as it's directly south of me.

Thanks so much to everyone else who replied!

As for dual range transmissions, my CT90 would climb trees in low gear if I put on spiked tires and let 'er rip. It seems so odd to me they had those in the 70s but have never thought to use them for other bikes nowadays? Maybe it's too much torque for higher displacement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #143
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
They do. It's called "highway gearing and slipping the clutch".

Short of that, aint you ever heard of an XT225?

The DR has a gear changer. It's just in front of the left footpeg.

The tranny on the DR actually has a pretty good spread for a 5spd. It works even better if you sort the carbing on your DR so that it pulls nicely from low RPMs...and continues pulling well up to the rev limiter.

'You wanna feel a tranny that needs some more spread? Dualsport a DR-Z on the slab and in some tight rocks.
The DR has a gear changer like a mountain bike? No.

The solution is slip the clutch, buy a different bike, or try one that's worse to be thankful for what I have?

I simply think it would be awesome to have the ability to have 14T offroad gearing and 16 or even 17T gearing for highway without wrenching. If they had something like that in the 70s, why not now? Was it built into the transmission, or external similar to a mountain bike?

I know they make aftermarket gear splitters and bolt on overdrive units for hot rods and classic cars. This is the same concept, but much simpler since we have a chain and sprockets instead of a driveshaft!

There's surely an engineer out there who could come up with something.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #144
xKLR_John
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
keep it simple....

I swapped on a 14T front sprocket and left everything else (airbox, exhaust, carb) stock. It runs fine on the highway at 75 mph and it's a little better in the 1st gear stuff offroad. I get ~50mpg on every tank.

Sure, everyone would love to have a wider spread in gear ratios like the XT225, but we don't have that with the DR650. It is what it is.
xKLR_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #145
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
5. Guys have complained about the stock front fender flapping like a hummingbird's wings.
I put a front fender brace on mine and it helps stabilize the front end at speed.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #146
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2c4c View Post

Some guy was telling me the other night that he had a bike you could kick into "off road" gearing when he was a kid, maybe a 90 of some kind?
You are probably thinking of the pre-1980 Honda CT90 "Trail 90". I have a '79 CT90 with the dual-ratio 4 speed transmission. There is a short lever on the left side of the transmission that switches between a 1:1 and a 2:1 ratio final drive so you have 8 ratios with the 4 speed transmission, 4 low range, 4 high range, just like with a transfer case on a 4x4.

I don't know why current bikes don't use something like this. It would be perfect for a bike like the DR650.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #147
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I don't know why current bikes don't use something like this. It would be perfect for a bike like the DR650.
Agreed.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #148
Aleeoop70
EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer: 95
2008 DR650SE Tour Ready

My 2008 DR650SE as it looked a couple of weeks ago after a 2,800 mile round trip to Moab including a couple hundred miles of off road including the White Rim Trail.
Attached Images

Aleeoop70 screwed with this post 11-01-2011 at 01:31 PM Reason: add picture
Aleeoop70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #149
Aleeoop70
EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer: 95
2008 DR650SE Tour Ready

I thought I should add a picture of the front angle too.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #150
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop70 View Post
I thought I should add a picture of the front angle too.
Looks good. How did you like doing that many highway miles with this set up? I bet it rides and handles good with those tires and the 19" front eh?

I'd like to know also about your highway pegs.

Thanks,
SR

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote