Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #451
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
So I started to Work on the seat and realized why nobody has tried this.. It sits about 1 1/2 inches higher than my sergent seat. My knees are bent to the point that it does not feel comfortable and it forces me to sit about 2 inches closer to the tank. I could build brackets and try make it work but I don't think it's can work very well without actually cutting the Seat pan itself and starting from scratch. The Seat pan also hits the battery so I would have to cut out that part of the seat pan or lower the battery if possible. The seat itself does not look too weird on the bike, and actually fits it pretty well. Up near the tank I was planning on using the seat to tank mounting point to mount a small pelican case this way I can keep my wallet and keys somewhere safe.

Under the seat non of the rubber isolators actually touch the bike. I would have to mount the bracket to make them fit correctly. Under the seat between the bike and the seat, there's a large space were the seat barely touches the bike. I would have to figure out away to still that so that water and debris does not get in there at all.

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow but without cutting into the seat pan I don't think I'll be able to make this one work.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #452
borborygmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
steering dampers?

put a gpr damper on the dr and wow what a difference, can eat a ham sandwich while pounding the gravel. who wooda thunk? on the perkansville rd between jerome and williams arizona just thought the pic was cool. thats the bridge over the verde river.

borborygmus screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 09:19 PM
borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #453
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Its alive!!!

I was able to get my V-strom seat to fit on the DR, after a lot of creative work with a grinder. Here is a teaser pic:

Im at work now, Ill explain the process later...
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #454
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I was able to get my V-strom seat to fit on the DR, after a lot of creative work with a grinder. Here is a teaser pic:

That looks like a worthwhile effort if you want a long distance traveler.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #455
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 560
Really interested in seeing your progress and success on this seat exchange. Will do this to my DR if you have good luck. I have a extra DL seat and find them comfortable for long trips.

Thanks;
TravelGuy

Quote:

DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #456
Gary B.
Older than dirt...

Oddometer: 542
Quote:

650 or 1000 Strom? Stock Strom seat?
"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause ? you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."----- John Wayne

DR stands for "Daily Rider"

'06 Suzuki DR650SE
'06 Kawasaki Concours - 2up Cruiser
'99 Yamaha YZ400
'05 KTM 125SX-SOLD!!!
'90 KTM LC4-the bike's gone, but the memory remains, along with the oil spots on the floor
Gary B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #457
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,284
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #458
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Awakening this thread....

Im going on a big trip with my DR in 5 weeks, with my girlfriend on the back. She mentioned to me (innocently... I think lol) That my sargent seat is not comfortable, and she really wished I still had the V-strom for this trip (she still rides the DR with me, a lot). When I had my v-strom and before I had my sargent, I dry fitted the Vee's seat, and it fit...sorta. It needs brackets for the plastics, and to hold the seat to the frame, but it does look like it will fit.

Needless to say i took her hint and bought a V-strom seat on ebay for $60. Im going to try and fit it to the DR. As my DR never sees dirt, I don't care about being able to move back and forth, or the width.

I"ll keep you guys posted as to how it goes, and what needs to be done. If this works, it really opens up the DR to many other seat options.

PS: Forgot to take a pic this morning when I left of the DR with the vee seat on top... i will post later
Some other things you might want to do for 2up touring on the DR:

- Lower your footpegs by adding lowering brackets, swapping to shorter brackets, or by cutting the stock brackets down. If welding, either remove the rubber inserts, or keep a bucket of cold water handy to cool them off between tacks.

- Lower the passenger pegs 2"-4" with some drop brackets made of 10mm-or-thicker plate.

- Add some touring pegs to your skid. Happy Trails carries these, but you can also fabricate some pretty easily.

- If you have a topbox, move it far enough rearward so that it's not a squeeze for you two to fit between the box and the tank.

- If you haven't re-jetted from stock, look into it. The stock jetting can make the exhaust REALLY hot.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #459
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wow, didnt think the reception about this would be big. Gary B: not sure which model, although I think they are both the same.

When I first popped the seat on, the front "bucket" was way too close to the tank, causing me to bend my legs like I was on a sport bike. Also the battery was being touched by the seat. So I had to decide, do I want to try and make this happen, and maybe lose $60, or just sell the seat.. I thought about it, and decided to go for it. The back of the strom seat has a vertical support on it, about 1\4" thick. I found a good spot for the seat, where my legs arent bent too much, and marked it on the rear fender. That was my first cut, into the rear fender plastic, so that it holds the back of the seat in place.

In this photo, you can see the piece in talking about to the left, and how much space is under the seat before cutting:

After making that cut, I marked on the seat where the battery touches, and cut that out from the bottom of the seat pan

After those two cuts, the seat fit good. I then built a bracket going from the strom seat front mounting point, to under the tank (just like the stock seat). I didnt take any pics of this, but its just a "T" made from 1" steel and bolted to the seat.

Once that was in place, and the front was secure, and the battery wasnt touched anymore, I started to build brackets to go from the strom seat to the stock mounting points.

I did that to both sides, and then used a large nut behind it as a spacer, because the new seat is much wider. As soon as it was bolted down, the seat felt as secure as the stock seat. I then installed the plastics, and saw the gap under the bike. I decided to use pipe insulation under there to keep water and debris out.

Now this is the last issue:

Im going to get a pelican case tonight, (6x4x2") and mount it to the stock IMS seat guide. This way I will have a tank bag always on the bike. it will be like this, only smaller:

As of now there is no rubber touching the frame, so I dont know how bad the vibrations will be. I turned the bike on, and reved it to 3500 for a while and it seemed alright, but still no front wheel so I cant ride (I'm not very good with a unicycle). This Thursday Im getting it back, so I'll mount up and ride my DR for the first time in 3 weeks!

The bike will be completely different, new shield, new springs, new highway pegs\tool case, new racks and cases, cleaned up all the wiring, and covered it all with wrap, new seat, and new 19" wheel and street tire.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #460
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
cool. but vtsrom owners hate their stock seat too.

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #461
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Agreed, I have heard the complaints, but if this worked for me, this opens up many other seats for the dr.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #462
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
There's always the seat concepts kit.... Would still only have $225 into a great touring seat for 2 up.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #463
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Excuse the ugly bugger in the photo but If you want a real comfy seat they can be made from using the stock seat base. This is a pic of my custom DR seat. The base is 3" longer than stock as I have a pillion most of the time. The foam and cover was done by http://www.day-long.com/ This is the version 2 seat. The first was done here in NZ but I hated that. I looked at the Russel site, saw their seat for a KTM 690 and said "I want 1 like that for my DR". I love it. It makes the bike feel a bit taller as its wide but I also have modified suspension. I can live with a tall mseat height for a seat I can sit on all day
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #464
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 560
I've put over 80,000 miles on V STrom stock seats withoput any problems. Several of them being 800-900 mile days. Not sure why other people complain about them. V Strom seat is more comfortable than the Seat Concepts I have on my DR650.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
There's always the seat concepts kit.... Would still only have $225 into a great touring seat for 2 up.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #465
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Nicely done and a relatively inexpensive option as the stock Strom seats can be found for sale under $100. The custom option is always there and yours looks all day comfortable, Phil. My Strom seat doesn't look that good.

I have a stock Strom seat and a Seat Concepts set up. I use the stock one if I'm doing any dirt as it's not as wide and I can get my feet on the ground quickly. The 650 & 1000 Strom seats are the same, except the 1000 is slightly taller. The SC seat is 'tween the two.

drmv62 - I'd like to see some pics of the GPR on your DR. I had one on my WR450 and for sand, gravel roads and larger rocky roads, it was great. GPR is a short drive from me so I can usually get a local deal on the older versions. I used to dial it to 6 and ride the sand like a skateboard, using my pegs to steer. No headshake, terrain/groove following..just straight ahead control.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote