Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #46
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
Hello?? Is this on?? No advice and I'm bending and welding my little heart out for you bastards!!!

Little update, got the lights today. Just so happened that I had some 1" aluminum tubing. I looked over at my 1" bending die and sized up the radius, looked about right. Never bent aluminum before, was super easy, just used a ton of WD40 for lube. I have no idea what type of aluminum it was but from what I read online about doing it, it appears 6063?? I guess 6061 will crack very easy, this bent on my hydraulic bender about the same as steel. The die follower galled up a little, but for the small amount I was doing it was not an issue. Bend is super clean, no kinks, barely any deformation. Daddy like

Anyways, its hard to tell from the pic, but it fits the PIAA's EXACTLY with about 3/8" clearance all the way around. I have exactly one more piece same length so I should have a perfect cage for the lights. Also simplifies the mount as I will weld a heavy tab on the back of the tube and bolt it there. I can then attach the cage to the strut and base of the headstock with some 1" aluminum tubing to make a super strong mount and tie everything together.

Yeah and for you nitpickers, I know the bend isn't 180, I was just going for 180 and it sprung back on me. I'll finish it tomorrow and bend the other one and weld them together.

I know the tubing is pretty thick wall, but hey it was free. Along with every other piece of aluminum I will use in this project. My neighbor has a huge metal fab shop and he lets me come in every weekend and take as much scrap as I want.

This is the aluminum truck load he was scrapping

sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #47
Jeff Watts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Cool2

Oh, we're watching. I'm following your build closer than most of the others. I'm not sure what to say about the shock mount/ tank interference. If I think of anything, you'll be the first to know.
Jeff Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #48
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Phew thanks it was getting a little lonely in here talking to myself

Since I want to freedom (and room) to mount the shock wherever I want/need, I think cutting up the tank is the way to go. I hate to have to weld that back together and risk screwing up a perfectly good tank with all the connections exactly where they need to be for the stock fuel pump etc. plus having to repaint it and screwing up the liner inside.

On the other hand, I probably have enough clearance, and removing those two 1" tubes and relocating them would allow that tank to drop in as is. which is a metric shit load less work than stitching that tank back together when I have a deadline of May 18th.

I may just take the easy road and deal with the shock. The more I think about rewlding that tank, I get shivers of an expensive and time consuming scrap tank. Unless someone can convince me that welding it would be easy.

Another option that I played with last night is beating in the nubs with a bossing mallet. Just not sure how much I can get away with. I guess if it breaks, I know I need to continue on with plan 1.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #49
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
I would have so much fun with access to that much scrap aluminum!

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #50
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
I would have so much fun with access to that much scrap aluminum!
Get yer ass to Pittsburgh and you can have as much as you want
Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #51
vinik
slow learner

Oddometer: 36
totally subscribed.. this project is a dream of mine.
you probably seen this before, but if you didnt, you absolutly HAVE TO:

http://www.thebikergene.com/custom-b...-enduro-racer/
Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #52
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Wow, that's awesome!! Course the CBR900 had "only" 125 HP, this will be 145ish

Pretty close to what I want except this will be more street orientated with Scorpions and luggage along with a full rear subframe. That looks very well sorted and I bet is a total handful.

well screw what I said last night about not cutting the tank. Bought sheetmetal today along with a visit to my welding supply store to pick up 040 red tungstens for the light gauge work. I plan on cleaning the hell out of the tank with alcohol, simple green, and boiling water for a week to ensure there are no accidents

I'll have to relocate the petcock and vents but that shouldn't be too hard, I think I am working myself up over a non issue.

Excited to finish the light bar and get the front end wrapped up. Thinking about a simple lexan windscreen sort of like the 950's have. I cut mine way down and it helped with the buffeting. I may try it without a windscreen to find if it's tolerable. I just want to get all the frame welding done so I can have it powdercoated. Thinking orange frame, black everything else, silver swingarm and regular colored forks. I could get the swingarm powdercoated while I was getting the frame done but that might be too much black.

look for pics tonight
Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #53
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Couple quick shots. Finished the light cage. Got the top strut cut and then called up by the wifey. Will finish tonight and then start on the tank.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #54
vinik
slow learner

Oddometer: 36
loving every step of this build. keep up the good work! and keep us posted!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #55
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinik View Post
loving every step of this build. keep up the good work! and keep us posted!
Thanks, theres an fz1 for sale on fz1oa.com for $ 1500. Might be a long trip from israel to boston though...
Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #56
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
nobody's sayin much cuz we're scratching our noggins about the tank issue

I say lose those struts and make some gussets to reinforce the top subframe connection to the main frame. set the tank in place and figure out where gusset plates will fit on the sides and maybe across midline. you might have to mount the battery somewhere else, like the skidplate or something

I would avoid hacking up the tank at this point. If you have to, just mount it best you can right now and trim the gaps with diamond plate or other. get the suspension sorted out and then worry about the tank after your rally.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #57
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
nobody's sayin much cuz we're scratching our noggins about the tank issue

I say lose those struts and make some gussets to reinforce the top subframe connection to the main frame. set the tank in place and figure out where gusset plates will fit on the sides and maybe across midline. you might have to mount the battery somewhere else, like the skidplate or something

I would avoid hacking up the tank at this point. If you have to, just mount it best you can right now and trim the gaps with diamond plate or other. get the suspension sorted out and then worry about the tank after your rally.
Thanks, I'm enjoying your build and one of the reasons I went down this slippery slope!!

I already decided to notch the tank around the spars. 3 reasons. First is to keep the tank following the contours of the frame. Second is to retain the original subframe structure. Third is that the angle of the shock is already interfering with the petcock so I would need to move that anyways. Since I'd be welding on the tank anyways, I might as well just work on that one piece than redo the whole frame. I am basically only cutting the tank where it hits the frame so those spars will actually be "let in" to the tank and help support it. I also move the petcock forward about 3-4 inches and weld it back down and patch the hole. Pretty minor surgery.

I am planning on making 2 "U"'s out of 1.25" tubing and weld the legs out of 18g sheet metal. I'll cut the corresponding slot out of the tank. A friend last night suggested I bend the metal down on the tank where it would be welding and match it up with the piece I am making so I am basically welding along a ridge instead of a butt or lap weld. Makes sense to me. More material, stiffer and less chance of burn through. He said that's how tanks are made in the factory. Glad I saw him last night because I def would not have thought of that tip.

Originally I had plans to cut a lot of the tank up and that was daunting, this should be easy.

I hate doing things half ass and propping the tank up without it being just right would drive me nuts if I knew I could do better. I also want to get all the mounts finalized so I can have the frame powdercoated and if I have to rejigger the stuff after, I need to get it all done again.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #58
andy352299
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
do you know what i hate about projects like this

i love watching these builds
i admire the dedication, the skills and vision of the builder but

what really pi**es me off is
i know my skills limit me to fitting different indicators and maybe syncing a bank of carbs.

well done i watch with envey
andy352299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #59
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy352299 View Post
do you know what i hate about projects like this

i love watching these builds
i admire the dedication, the skills and vision of the builder but

what really pi**es me off is
i know my skills limit me to fitting different indicators and maybe syncing a bank of carbs.

well done i watch with envey
If it makes you feel any better (or worse) I have never done this before and have barely welded in my life before I started this project. What I lack in skills I make up for in ingenuity and problem solving. Doing this bike is one big ass puzzle. Everything will work but you need to have the vision to see it through to the end. Having nice tools also makes a big difference, but I am doing this in a one car garage, that is packed with other bikes etc.

I have no doubt you can do something like this, question is will you plunk down your cash and commit to the finish line?? I tell you, it's been a blast and total satisfaction seeing it come together. No game plan either, I just wing it as I go along.

OK, so I'm never going to make it as a stainless steel welder, but I did make a pretty sweet exhaust today. Bought some 2.375" bends in various shapes. ended up using a 90 degree and a U bend to finish it along with parts from the stock exhaust.

Welding this was a total bitch. I read where you need to back purge SS to prevent slag buildup on the inside. I just T-ed off my Argon regulator with a piece of hose and capped off an end and started welding. However using enough argon to also keep the torch shielded was a challenge, basically had the gas on full for an hour and smoked a 150 CF tank. You can see the tube with a rag in one end and a rag in the other. Total mickey mouse but it seemed to work fine.

I have been worrying about welding thin sheet metal on the tank and I realized half way through this job that I was basically welding 18g sheet metal It was pretty easy, had one burn through.

Got the shock mount half way done along with working on a new center stand. Will post more pics later
Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #60
rideaholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Those ss welds look good to me. I am thinking that you may need a rear tire soon. That one is looking a little bald.
rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote