Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 AM   #61
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,069
Thanks joe. it has a lot of porosity I think due to me using most of the argon flow to the back of the weld. My practice welds looked much more professional.as long as it holds it will be fine.

I'm going to make the heat shield and seat pan from carbon fiber unless I can get some thin aluminum. I have some days off this week so I'll crank out the work.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #62
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Made some aluminum panniers today. I used 0.080" 3003 sheet cut with a skilsaw and the angles cut on a compound miter saw. Welded with 1/16" green tungstens (emphasis on LOTS) and 4043 filler. I designed them in 3D CAD previous so all the angles etc were worked out ahead of time. Volume calcs give me about 29.5L. They are 18" long and 8" wide. The lids need to be recut too tight.

My aluminum welding is getting better, I found the best results were laying the filler in the joint and welding right over top of it with a smooth hand. This was pretty much first time welding thin aluminum like this. I like em. I may smooth out the boogers I made, but I may keep em raw like that. Either way the welds are strong.

Total cost in materials was about $75 and I have enough for a 2nd full set.

Now please remind me tomorrow to weld up the mirror image and not the same bag again

Also got my tires today so you don't have to stare at a blank rim anymore

sailah screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 03:23 PM
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #63
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
You are cranking out the diy fabrication stuff like crazy, good job. What kind of tig setup do you have? Seems to be unstoppable.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #64
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
You are cranking out the diy fabrication stuff like crazy, good job. What kind of tig setup do you have? Seems to be unstoppable.

I have a cheap chinese inverter. 200 a ac/dc. I have a couple air cooled torches, the one I use most is a 9. I am a total beginner with welding so I just do what feels right and I get a lot of good advice from my local welding supply.

The welder I got off the pirate 4x4 site for $ 350. I figured it was good to try and then drop some coin on a lincoln or miller. I have to say I have been impressed with what I can do with it. To get a basic inverter machine now is $ 3000. Until this thing dies I'm loving it. I also got a bigger tank, 150 cf. My buddy that works at the shop gets me stuff for nothing. I think he charged me $ 10 to fill it today.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #65
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I replied to your welding question on your other post. Just my experience in automotive sheetmetal work.

Inverter machines are nice, 220V and you can lay down nice beads. I'm using an oldschool setup. 3-phase 400V powersupply for DC and a 2-phase 400V transformer for AC welding... Yeah I know sounds crazy, but so far they've worked fine

So far your work look nice.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #66
Jeff Watts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Not trying to offend, so please don't take it wrong.

Why not just use ammo cans? This and the tank thing, just seems like over-engineering is biting you on the backside.
Jeff Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #67
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,374
Ammo cans weigh a metric ton.....

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #68
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
Ammo cans weigh a metric ton.....
And mine are already all full of ammo. If I were to get more, they would magically fill up with more.

Full, they weigh a metric-assload of a ton times two.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #69
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts View Post
Not trying to offend, so please don't take it wrong.

Why not just use ammo cans? This and the tank thing, just seems like over-engineering is biting you on the backside.
It'll take a lot more than that to offend me so don't worry. I do it because I want to. simple as that. I enjoy learning new skills, I may fail, but that is the fun part.

This whole project would make most people ask why bother? why not just buy a Vstrom?

The ammo cans?? Cmon this ain't a KLR plus the bags weigh about 7 lbs each and are better looking than ammo cans. I am redoing the lids completely so that will look nicer. I only have about $75 into these bags and that inlcudes the hardware and hinges etc.

I'm going to make up a sticker for them that says:

"Yes, I welded them myself. No I won't make you a set"
Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #70
sailah OP
Lampin' it

For having a day off, I got exactly jack shit done today. Between being daddy, housekeeper, and finishing up work stuff, it was entirely unproductive. I did redo the lids, the flat ones weren't very exciting. It's hard holding all those angles together without a magnet and then trying to tack and feed filler rod. Anyways I got one lid done. Somehow the pics made the welds look like crap, they aren't as bad in person. I kinda dig the way they look but will probably dress them up before paint or powdercoat. I might Line-X them.

I did work a little on the shock mount, still waiting on the advice of a tuner to get it dialed in.

Hows the suspension look? Trying to make sure I have enough exhaust clearance (it's sagging a little right now) and also enough travel.

Ordered the spacer material for the swingarm. The KTM bolt is 20mm OD and I got 1.25" 6061 1/4" wall tubing. I have a friend with a lathe that will help get that sorted. I need the spacer for inside the swingarm pivots, and then a smaller one to space the swingarm from the right side.

The major ticket list

Get rear suspension nailed down.
Get swingarm spacer made
Cut tank

finish 2nd bag and make mounts.
Make rear fender/mudguard
finish light bar mounts.
Make rearsets
High fender kit (basically second brake line)
Make seat
Get underseat wiring finalized
Build/lengthen centerstand & sidestand
Order custom rear sprocket
Size chain links and order that too
Front rotor bolts

I decided to can the R1 header. It was going to take a redo of the front motor mount for a small gain. Not worth it. also running stock cooling system. I should have enough clearance with the supermoto fender.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #71
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,374
You need a grinder and some spraypaint for those panniers.

Good job welding though. I'd love to fab something like that. I do have some resources.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #72
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 650
requests

Please ,
don't use any thing other than clear coat on those bags. What the exup it self weigh ? Losing some low end might help traction,but hurt ridability. Fantastic build thread,full stop.
Regards,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #73
rideaholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Looking good Pete. I may be out and about tomorrow. If I meander your way, I will give you a ring to see this beast in person.

Good to see you got the rear tire on.
rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #74
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennswoodsed View Post
Please ,
don't use any thing other than clear coat on those bags. What the exup it self weigh ? Losing some low end might help traction,but hurt ridability. Fantastic build thread,full stop.
Regards,Ed
The exup is part of the header itself and is a cast iron chunk. Probably weighs 8 #. I decided to keep it on advice of ivans performance that sold me the jet kit and pods.

Re the bags, I might have to dress them up slightly. I have always wanted to try something anodized and there is a shop nearby...right now the focus is getting it rideable and then worry about cosmetics later

Thanks for the props
Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #75
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaholic View Post
Looking good Pete. I may be out and about tomorrow. If I meander your way, I will give you a ring to see this beast in person.

Good to see you got the rear tire on.
The day you actually show up...

I'm leaving for my shoot at rolling rock at 4

The tire was just for you big guy