Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #91
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Agreed, I would turn The arc balance way up toward the penetration end. Your tungsten will thank you, and you will get more definition in the weld bead.
I'm an aerospace welder, and never turn the AC balance to less than 7 out of 10, and usually 8-9.
I must admit, I am impressed by your aluminum welding. It took me years to make my aluminum look as good as yours!
How much gas do you run, it looks like too much on aluminum, and too little on the steel? Hope you don't mind a slight critique. I usually run about 25cfh on steel, and 5-10cfh on aluminum (5 for gas lens, 10 if not)
Keep up the good work, your gonna have one mean machine there!

I don't mind ANY critique, especially from an aerospace welder!! This project is basically the first time I have welded so I'm pretty new to the lingo and actually doing it. I think I had the AC balance swapped in my mind. I turned it down last night and it improved some. Problem is that I don't have a manual for my machine and its a chinese welder so no tech support.

I was running quite a bit of argon on the aluminum, so slow it down? I do use gas lenses. How can you tell by the way??

I think I have been adjusting the AC balance, I'll throw up a pic of the welder and maybe you can tell me? Either way it didn't seem to do much to change the frosting.

My aluminum technique has varied tremendously since I have started. Since I am doing mostly butt welds here's what I do and let me know if I should change. I simply lay the filler rod in the gaps and run a smootha bead as I can right over it. Sometimes I actually feed the filler, most times I just weld right over it. I vary the heat with the pedal to get the penetration I need.

I'll never make it as a welder, but I do actually enjoy it quite a bit. I'm sure welding all day has it's low points too, but there's a lot of satisfaction in making metal stick together. The only way to get better is more seat time I guess. I would like to get a better machine, although for the $350 I spent on this one, I'm totally digging it and it seems to be more operator error than anything else.

Please keep the critiques going or else I'm goiing to keep making the same mistakes
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #92
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #93
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Yo Kev long time no talkie, hope alls well

Not a ton of progress but did get the tank fully welded and not leaking. Also got the tank pivot rebuilt and welded.

Todays project is the seat and maybe a skidplate or at least the mounts for one.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #94
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
keep it coming dude

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #95
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Not a big update but got the seat interface working. Then I found the stock Yamaha one at the bottom of my parts bin

Welded this bracket to the centerstand mount to keep the longer centerstand from hitting the swingarm. Will have rubber mounted as well.

Spent the better part of last night chasing leaks in the tank. I may solder the seams unless anyone has a better idea???

Bike as it sits today

Sent out the forks and shock for a rework by Trail Tricks. While that is gone, I'm going to work like hell on getting the seat done and finalize the little things like toolbox storage, blinkers, tail light etc. I may even wire it up and fire it up

If all goes to plan, I'll have it running and riding in 2 weeks.

Madelaine approves

Old 05-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #96
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 850
Too cool, well done. Is the radiator more or less out of harms way?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #97
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Yo Kev long time no talkie, hope alls well

Hi Pete

Winter is over and spring is here so things are looking up.

Wonderful build, I truly envy you your skills and dedication
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #98
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 720
The spelling is Frank Wheelbarrow... its going to look good, the bike and my name on the side of it as well!
I love the new engine guards!! There going to be multi purpose I can tell already u will have your legs stretched out doing a hundred plus in seventh gear.

WHOOOOP WHOOP!!
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #99
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Too cool, well done. Is the radiator more or less out of harms way?
well as much as I can expect for being ot front. I did make that aluminum screen that should keep the big pieces out.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #100
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank wheelbarrow View Post
The spelling is Frank Wheelbarrow... its going to look good, the bike and my name on the side of it as well!
I love the new engine guards!! There going to be multi purpose I can tell already u will have your legs stretched out doing a hundred plus in seventh gear.

WHOOOOP WHOOP!!
Thanks bro. You get the hero award for all your parts. Still looking for a good place for your name.thinking swingarm since it's so long. Got the axle this morning. I'll throw some cash in the case when I ship it back.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #101
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Bike as it sits today
Any ideas how much it weighs as it stands?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #102
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Any ideas how much it weighs as it stands?
As you see it, 197 R, 194 F. That's with a YZ wheel, the Woodys I got is def heavier.

Also missing:

Wiring
Battery
Fluids
Seat
Side stand
Bag mounts
skidplate
fender

And about 10 lbs of stuff I am forgetting.

If it comes in at 450 dry I'd be thrilled.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #103
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
As you see it, 197 R, 194 F. That's with a YZ wheel, the Woodys I got is def heavier.

Also missing:

Wiring
Battery
Fluids
Seat
Side stand
Bag mounts
skidplate
fender

And about 10 lbs of stuff I am forgetting.

If it comes in at 450 dry I'd be thrilled.
That is very promising still! And it seems more than a few kg's less than the mighty 990. If the suspension/geometry works out (only a matter of time I guess) you're in for a thrill!

The cherry on the pie will be to make an underseat tank at some point. Your only 'issue', as I see it from my couch, is that it might be a bit top heavy with a full tank. Keep the weight as low as possible and it will be a winner on all grounds.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #104
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
That is very promising still! And it seems more than a few kg's less than the mighty 990. If the suspension/geometry works out (only a matter of time I guess) you're in for a thrill!

The cherry on the pie will be to make an underseat tank at some point. Your only 'issue', as I see it from my couch, is that it might be a bit top heavy with a full tank. Keep the weight as low as possible and it will be a winner on all grounds.
I thought about an underseat tank but that would mean no underseat exhaust. There's a little room but not much esp with the shock and battery in that real estate.

I fully accept the limitations of what I am doing. The stock tank isn't very big anyways so it shouldn't be too bad.

I may do some side tanks inside the panniers if I feel ambitious but that probably won't be for awhile.

I really just want to get it running and riding so I can test it out. Frame is scheduled for the powdercoaters on Monday so I need to finish all frame welding by then, tear it down and finish all the welds that are just tacks.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #105
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,019
This is bloody awesome.

Keep up the good work.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote