Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Now imagine working for $600/month AND the bike prices that high.
That Piaggio is a very nice looking scoot! Nice write-up as well!

Are you saying that you bring home $600 a month? If so, you must be very good with your money.

As far as the Duc goes, it will take you two months wages every 6,000 miles to do a valve service / belt replacement. That's the same reason I unloaded my Multistrada S. Way too cost prohibitive to actually put miles on. Beautiful to look at and listen to, though.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
That Piaggio is a very nice looking scoot! Nice write-up as well!

Are you saying that you bring home $600 a month? If so, you must be very good with your money.

As far as the Duc goes, it will take you two months wages every 6,000 miles to do a valve service / belt replacement. That's the same reason I unloaded my Multistrada S. Way too cost prohibitive to actually put miles on. Beautiful to look at and listen to, though.
Yeah, $600 is at the moment above average.
I'm aware of the servicing costs, and there's only one dealer who'll do the
maintainance here that's 200 miles (x2) away!

You can probably see why I'm selling everything and looking for a scooter.
Glad you liked the review, I enjoyed writing it, wish I co do that for a living..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Yeah, $600 is at the moment above average.
I'm aware of the servicing costs, and there's only one dealer who'll do the
maintenance here that's 200 miles (x2) away!

You can probably see why I'm selling everything and looking for a scooter.
Glad you liked the review, I enjoyed writing it, wish I co do that for a living..

Wow, $600 a MONTH? Yea, you must be extremely good with your cash to be able to make a living and have a bike! I completely understand why you only want one scooter now.

Damn thats lots of money for the service on the Ducati as well! I always do my own maintenance, but I'd stress that for those!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
You can replace the belts and adjust the valves yourself, but without a $10,000 Mathesis meter (that's what a Duc dealer told me it costs), you can not reset the ECU for the service on a fuel injected Duc. I believe the ignition retards itself a few degrees until reset. That makes it something you can't do at home.

I would love to have another carbureted M900 Monster, but I'll never own another fuelie unless I hit the lottery. And since I don't play, that will never happen, either.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
robobiker
NewRoundHere

Oddometer: 69
The new Beverly 300 has just been released in the UK and I must say it is quite the most beautiful scooter I have ever seen, and is the only scooter I would happily exchange for my Vespa GTS providing the seat is comfortable.

I would guess the engine is exactly the same as that used in the Vespa GTS 300 and if so, that is a peach of an engine, and by far the most flexible, quiet and responsive of all the available engines from any comparable scooter manufacturer. My local dealer/service garage tell me that they just refuse to work on Piaggio 400 or 500 machines because they are of poor quality and have multiple issues with wear, failures and electrical glitches unlike the much better built 250 and 300 engines.

Interesting to see comments comparing with other scooters like the Burgman 400 which I own as well as the Vespa GTS. The Burgman is extremely "lumpy" and clumsy on intial take off and at low speeds, and only really matches the piaggio once you start approaching cruise speed.

If the BV300 reaches 78 mph (85 indicated) that confirms it is set up exactly like the Vespa GTS 300 engine but I would guess that the BV might be a little more aerodynamically slippery than the Vespa, and a little more sure footed with its larger wheels.

The Burgman will hit 90+ mph indicated with relative ease, but since this is illegal on most roads, and doesn't feel very comfortable, I am very tempted to sell both Vespa and Burgman and buy the Beverly, but I'm a bit concerned whether the springs are too stiff for town use over bumps and potholes.

If the seat is a little thin at the front that will be probably because Piaggio tried to make more space underneath for the claimed two-helmet storage. This scooter will definitely need a top box, SH300-style, to be practical but I am hoping it won't spoil those fabulous looks too much.

I'd be interested to hear more riding reviews of this beautiful machine.
robobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #21
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,840
[QUOTE=Cortez;15519313Since my religion prohibits me from denying such an offer (I checked),
I had my helmet and gloves on before the key slided over the desk!

[/QUOTE]

HEE!HEE!HEE!

We obviously went to the very same theological college.....

I like the Beverly best out of the Piaggio's, pity we didn't get them here (bloody silly name though, what was it, the designer's pet dog's name?).

Good review, thanks man.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
HEE!HEE!HEE!

We obviously went to the very same theological college.....

I like the Beverly best out of the Piaggio's, pity we didn't get them here (bloody silly name though, what was it, the designer's pet dog's name?).

Good review, thanks man.
You're welcome!

Now someone better throw a Kymco GT300i my way, I smell a good comparo!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #23
Cortez OP
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robobiker View Post
The new Beverly 300 has just been released in the UK and I must say it is quite the most beautiful scooter I have ever seen, and is the only scooter I would happily exchange for my Vespa GTS providing the seat is comfortable.

I would guess the engine is exactly the same as that used in the Vespa GTS 300 and if so, that is a peach of an engine, and by far the most flexible, quiet and responsive of all the available engines from any comparable scooter manufacturer. My local dealer/service garage tell me that they just refuse to work on Piaggio 400 or 500 machines because they are of poor quality and have multiple issues with wear, failures and electrical glitches unlike the much better built 250 and 300 engines.

Interesting to see comments comparing with other scooters like the Burgman 400 which I own as well as the Vespa GTS. The Burgman is extremely "lumpy" and clumsy on intial take off and at low speeds, and only really matches the piaggio once you start approaching cruise speed.

If the BV300 reaches 78 mph (85 indicated) that confirms it is set up exactly like the Vespa GTS 300 engine but I would guess that the BV might be a little more aerodynamically slippery than the Vespa, and a little more sure footed with its larger wheels.

The Burgman will hit 90+ mph indicated with relative ease, but since this is illegal on most roads, and doesn't feel very comfortable, I am very tempted to sell both Vespa and Burgman and buy the Beverly, but I'm a bit concerned whether the springs are too stiff for town use over bumps and potholes.

If the seat is a little thin at the front that will be probably because Piaggio tried to make more space underneath for the claimed two-helmet storage. This scooter will definitely need a top box, SH300-style, to be practical but I am hoping it won't spoil those fabulous looks too much.

I'd be interested to hear more riding reviews of this beautiful machine.
You need to ride one.
The seat is nothing like the Vespa, unfortunately.
Also, the suspension is rather stiff, and probably not nearly as comfortable
as your Burger, but you guessed the 'sure footed' feeling, and that's
probably an understatement.

That thing rides/tracks through corners better then some cheap motorcycles.

My Flickr gallery