Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #166
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
Yep, It's about the button.
I have an 90 XT600 that is my dual sport ride. The TT600 has been my trail/MX if you can call it that.
I've been looking at an estart TTR or the like. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have a lighter bike as well.
I had originally planned on moving west so the TT would have been ok, but I ended up in NC where it's single track and woods riding, not the strong suit of a TT600.
Yes, Most TT600s end-up as a Flat-track bike or Dual-Sport bike or just dump it in the barn for a few years.
Now my bike i use as a "ice bike" in the winter, and a 2nd bike if theres no bike to ride. And maybe a MX vintage race. and now cross-country too. I rode a olins fitted TT600 and boy it was neat. Like a new bike!! Good luck!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #167
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
my tt600s

just got it today..sorry about pic quality i only have a phone camera
Attached Images

kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #168
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
just got it today..sorry about pic quality i only have a phone camera
Great fine!! Enjoy!! TT600 Power!!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #169
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
looking to get a pipe for mine....are the xt frames the same as the tt..only aftermarket ones i can see are for xt..
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #170
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
looking to get a pipe for mine....are the xt frames the same as the tt..only aftermarket ones i can see are for xt..
Nope.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #171
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Springs

So I haven’t ridden the TT6 in a few weeks as I have been playing with my new DRZ400....
The DRZ is cool, runs good, has an Estart and parts are everywhere....and it has no soul...but I digress.
I jumped on the TT600 today and it felt like my a$% was on the ground. I hadn’t ridden the TT so long I didn't realize how BAD the rear spring was... ...BAD
So the search begins today..
I can't afford to buy the Works shock at $700 freakin bucks, and I probably wouldn't reach the performance limits anyway.
So I removed, cleaned and measured everything, and the spring results are....
ID - 65mm
OD -
Length - 245mm
So… What next?
I happened to be scanning the Eibach spring guide to see if there were any springs listed that would be a direct swap and maybe a little more common.
What did I find?
NOTHING. Well nothing that was listed as a direct swap.
I did see a few older Yamaha YZs from the same time period that may work, but they are almost as rare as the TT.
Then I saw a spring that might work it was almost the same ID only a mm or two different but 20mm longer. Would this work? Cross to find it was stock on a DRZ400
S#&t yeah.
I tore my DRZ down as fast as I could and here are the results…

The DRZ spring is white...and longer. The ends are different ID one is 64mm and the other is 66mm it will fit on the TT shock either way. I put the 66mm side on the bottom.

The gap on the retainer was a little more open, but in no way could it be considered unstable or loose..
Initially I put the TT retainer ring in the first slot and had the treaded portion unthreaded.

Man what a difference..
My Sag numbers were
Unloaded- 21.5
Bike - 20.5
Me - 16.75
Full - 13.5

With the DRZ Spring...
Unloaded - 21.5
Bike - 21.0
Me - 19.0
Full - 13.5

It rides alot better. I think I'm gonna buy a few more DRZ springs and check how different rates work.
As far as I know the spring I used was the stock DRZ rate.
I will update this as I ride and let you know how it goes.
Here are the unloaded spring lenghts.

Not that much different when adjusted to mid thread...
If anyone has tried another spring...Let us know.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #172
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eibach Springs

As it turn out here are alot more springs the same size ie KX250F, RMZ450 CRF450R...
Here is the Eibach web page link to their catalog...

http://performance-suspension.eibach...ms-catalog.pdf
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #173
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 726
it's funny. i tried this about a month ago. it'll make stiffer springs easier to get. just got to finish the top end rebuild and tune the ninja carbs.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:38 AM   #174
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest View Post
it's funny. i tried this about a month ago. it'll make stiffer springs easier to get. just got to finish the top end rebuild and tune the ninja carbs.
Right-on...
Have you been able to ride with a better spring?
Have there been any issues?
I still need to get the shock rebuilt. Someone mentioned you could swap internals with a YZ from that period to get better valving??? I'm not sure though.

How is the Ninja carb thing going? I've been lucky that my carbs have been well behaved.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #175
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

haven't ridden the bike in 18 months. that'll change soon. the ninja carbs were a performance and fuel economy increase. the main tuning i have to do is the idle and low speed stuff. i drilled the mains a little bit and they're ok. it won't hurt to get my wideband mixture meter working again and see what the cruise mixtures are like.

they were a massive improvement really. and being keihin carbs, i can actually buy tuning parts for them. i did have to modify my tank a little with a hot air gun to get around the throttle linkage. teneres don't have this drama.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #176
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest View Post
haven't ridden the bike in 18 months. that'll change soon. the ninja carbs were a performance and fuel economy increase. the main tuning i have to do is the idle and low speed stuff. i drilled the mains a little bit and they're ok. it won't hurt to get my wideband mixture meter working again and see what the cruise mixtures are like.

they were a massive improvement really. and being keihin carbs, i can actually buy tuning parts for them. i did have to modify my tank a little with a hot air gun to get around the throttle linkage. teneres don't have this drama.

Ferb... I know what were doing this winter

I have always fancied myself as a ninja, and since the ole girl already has KX500 front boingers why it would only make sense to put a Kawasaki carb on her too

Did you do a write-up on the carb swap? I've seen parts of it but not a start to finish.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #177
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

no, never did a write up. the carbs fitted into the manifolds with some wd40 and a push. i did have to slightly reshape the tank as previously described. my engine has a ported head, k&n filter and a cam so i needed to drill the mains a bit.

to connect the air cleaner, i put some small pieces of exhaust pipe inside the carb boots. then used truck radiator hose over the back of the carbs and over the standard boots. (the back of the carbs is bigger than std, and the ninja carbs are shorter. i'll get some pics of it all as it goes together. it really was easy to do and a great improvement.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #178
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You can put a after-market muffler for the XT 600 on your TT600. You just need a 2 inch strap to fit.The mounting brakets are just a little short. I have a old supertrapp on my XT600. Its for a TT600. I can mount it on my TT600 or my XT600 with a little work. Run a stock pipe on my TT600 to keep the peace!! ED
Old 10-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #179
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Looks like the DR650 spring 55id 60id 255long may also fit and I've got one sitting here

Anyone know what the rate is of the TT600/TT350 springs?

The stock DRZ spring is 5.3kg/mm and is stronger than the TT by the looks.
The DR650 stock spring is 6.7kg/mm so may be a bit overkill

NordieBoy screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 01:35 PM
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #180
nikroc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question Sprocket sizes

Hi,I've just joined the forum after lots of internet searching for info on the ttr 600e.

She's a 2003 model with just over 6 k on the clock. Been stood for 3 years before I bought her but after much fettling (iridium plug,oil and filter service,air cleaner cleaned and re oiled and new battery) shes running fine.

Does anyone know if the oil filter is the same between the ttr and xt etc?..also wana change the front sprocket and again querying if xt sprockets fit?..I can get the filters and sprockets at silly prices for the xt but double the price for the ttr..

nikroc screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 07:43 AM
nikroc is offline   Reply With Quote