Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #226
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 692
I had a drum braked TT for a few years, was more than happy with the drum brake. I like the look of the drum better as well, more compact and purposeful somehow.
Old fart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #227
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Front Drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
I had a drum braked TT for a few years, was more than happy with the drum brake. I like the look of the drum better as well, more compact and purposeful somehow.
I ride were theres BIG down hills, and add a little mud and water that front brake to me is not there.Just a ride down on or off the bike!! ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #228
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Yeah, I want the same level of braking at the bottom of the hill as at the top and without having the brake line stretch either...
Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #229
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Yeah, I want the same level of braking at the bottom of the hill as at the top and without having the brake line stretch either...
I went price that front cable, and Yamaha wanted $53.00 US. Motion Pro, same cable for $17.00 I think!!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #230
dnnyrckts
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
I know I saw a post in here somewhere about putting an XT kick starter on a TT. I can't find it. Is the XT kicker more durable than the TT? My TT kicker is starting to bend a little and I'm considering my options. Anyone? Thanks, Kelly.

Kelly_O
My original kickstart lever (alloy) lasted less than 2 years. I bought an XT lever (steel) but for some reason it wasn't a direct bolt on. This was about 1985, but I do remember that I had to dis-assemble both levers and use parts from both. Again this was over 25 years ago, but I used the original piece that slides on the splined shaft and attached the steel XT lever to that. I'm pretty sure that no additional parts were required. This modified lever is still working.Hope this helps.
dnnyrckts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #231
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnyrckts View Post
Kelly_O
My original kickstart lever (alloy) lasted less than 2 years. I bought an XT lever (steel) but for some reason it wasn't a direct bolt on. This was about 1985, but I do remember that I had to dis-assemble both levers and use parts from both. Again this was over 25 years ago, but I used the original piece that slides on the splined shaft and attached the steel XT lever to that. I'm pretty sure that no additional parts were required. This modified lever is still working.Hope this helps.
I did the switch, on all my TT600s. All start real good now. The stock TT kicker just bends around and hits the frame.
Thump-On!! BIG ED XT&TT 600 FANn!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #232
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
My famous day from hell and the TT kickstarter!

I went out for a leisurly ride in the mountains about 15 miles East of where I live one fine Spring day years back. I was tooling around on some singletrack and in a small ravine I laid down to see if the mud was as soft and comfy as it looked. It WAS!

Righted the bike and proceeded to go through the starting ritual. Although usually it would start right up with one or two kicks, after being on it's side it could become a little bit persnickety sometimes. I always used the kickstand to allow me to stand on the pegs to get a better kick and follow through.

Well I proceeded to kick on it about 4-5 times when the kickstand broke off. No problem I pushed it over to a large rock and kept kicking....well for 2-3 more kicks....THEN the kickstarter lever broke!.......wonderful.

Took about twenty minutes to push it uphill far enough (about twenty yards!) that I could then turn it around and bump start it with help from the compression release.

Well she came to life but before I even made it up the little rise out of the ravine I heard a gawd awful crunch from the rear end and the chain threw off. Seems a muddy rock had somehow got caught in the rear sprocket and it actually broke the sprocket at the thin point between the lightening slot and the teeth bending it out so far the chain came off. Maybe I should have stayed home?

Aw hell that is nothing a little beating on with a bigger rock could not put back in shape...besides it is a L-O-N-G walk home.

Beat it back in shape enough that it would track straight and not throw the chain and as long as I did not give it to much throttle to where it would pull the broke sprocket out of shape the chain would not skip or come off and it was reasonably rideable.

Well I started back towards the tarmmac but got stalled out on a knarly uphill that I always seemed to have problems on. Of course I did a real slow drop of the bike while trying to turn it around to bump start it. Did not notice till I had managed to bump start it and make the top of the hill that I punched a small hole in the right side case cover. It was spewing a little oil but as long as I kept the RPM'S fairly low was not to bad.

I made it to asphalt but then noticed it was really spewing out the oil.

I stopped at a gas station and cleaned the side cover with gas and then a couple alcohol wipes and since I did not have any epoxy (something I now ALWAYS carry a couple small packages off just in case) I used what I had...a whole roll of medical tape. Two layers over the hole and then more out further to try and contain the erl.

As soon as I started the bike up it bulged the tape out some in the center but with my ankle firmly pressed against it I figured I had a chance to make a few miles.

I had also bought as many quarts of oil as I could carry. Four quarts and about 15 miles ro home. I added about a half a quart and made it about four miles before the tape failed completely and then I would stop every mile to mile and a half and put in another half quart.

By the time I got home my boot and the whole right side of the scooter were totally oil soaked and the bike was smoking like a two stroke with w-a-y to much oil in the mix due to the oil getting pushed onto the exhaust at speed. It did make cleaning the right side of the scooter a breeze and the right boot never did soak up water again after that ride.

I made it home in one piece although it took some serious work on the scooter to get her back in shape and I had logged around 50 miles so I considered the ride a success!
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #233
Francesco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
My famous day from hell and the TT kickstarter!
...I had logged around 50 miles so I considered the ride a success!
What a story, riding a serious offroad track alone than this sh#t happening is not pleasant!

Here's the status of my '84 TT at the moment:

The plan is to give her an yz490 look with 4-stroke power )
Francesco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #234
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco2 View Post
What a story, riding a serious offroad track alone than this sh#t happening is not pleasant!

Here's the status of my '84 TT at the moment:

The plan is to give her an yz490 look with 4-stroke power )
There was a TT600 power YZ 490 on E-bay sometime ago. The guy was from "down under" and put YZ forks and YZ swingarm and shock. Rode great!!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #235
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
I did the switch, on all my TT600s. All start real good now. The stock TT kicker just bends around and hits the frame.
Thump-On!! BIG ED XT&TT 600 FANn!!!

That's what I'm talkin' about! I knew I could count on you guys for the answer. Any idea which year(s) XT kicker will swap? Mine has twisted around enough to get hung up on the frame as it returns to the top. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #236
datada3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Wicked 1985 TT600...... carb issues..

I just picked up an 85 tt600 this thing is a beast and I love it, but poor performance with existing non stock carb. So I located a rebuilt stock ydis carb for an 86 xt600... First question? Is the 86 xt carb one in the same as the 85 tt carb? After doing research I believe it is. Question two, there seems to be 3 vacuum ports on this carb, two on the rear (air cleaner side) almost looks like one for each port... What do those do and where do they connect to? The other port is located right above the fuel inlet for the bowl. It's a straight port that runs into the center of the barrel where the needle valve plunger is??? What is that port for and what do I do with it??? There us also another port on the manifold but I believe that one is to capped....also I do not have stock air cleaner so I was thinking about just running little UNI boots or something untill I get the stock setup, unless the boots are sufficient?? Anyone who can help I would appreciate it. I will get some pics up soon.... Thanks
Attached Images

datada3 screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 11:53 AM
datada3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #237
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datada3 View Post
I just picked up an 85 tt600 this thing is a beast and I love it, but poor performance with existing non stock carb. So I located a rebuilt stock ydis carb for an 86 xt600... First question? Is the 86 xt carb one in the same as the 85 tt carb? After doing research I believe it is. Question two, there seems to be 3 vacuum ports on this carb, two on the rear (air cleaner side) almost looks like one for each port... What do those do and where do they connect to? The other port is located right above the fuel inlet for the bowl. It's a straight port that runs into the center of the barrel where the needle valve plunger is??? What is that port for and what do I do with it??? There us also another port on the manifold but I believe that one is to capped....also I do not have stock air cleaner so I was thinking about just running little UNI boots or something untill I get the stock setup, unless the boots are sufficient?? Anyone who can help I would appreciate it. I will get some pics up soon.... Thanks
The XT 600 carb will work on your TT600. Get a work shop manural for your bike. Get the stock air box too. K+N pod filters will need rejet too. The jets in the xt carb are not the same in the TT carb. If you have the carb clean it will work on your TT 600 .Run a Uni-filter too. Foam. Good luck! Thump-On!!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #238
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datada3 View Post
Nice bike! Put a skid plate on that bike. Them cases are big bucks!!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #239
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Nice bike! Put a skid plate on that bike. Them cases are big bucks!!

Does an XT skid plate fit on the TTs?
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #240
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
The XT 600 carb will work on your TT600. Get a work shop manural for your bike. Get the stock air box too. K+N pod filters will need rejet too. The jets in the xt carb are not the same in the TT carb. If you have the carb clean it will work on your TT 600 .Run a Uni-filter too. Foam. Good luck! Thump-On!!
Also note that the float seat on the TT600 carb is not the same as the seat on the XT600 carb. DAMHIK.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote