Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #256
datada3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
The oil will help the rings seal and bring the compression up for a short time if the ring seal is going bad. Timing is non-adjustable. It is electronically controlled in the CDI. No points.
These bikes do have a bit of a reputation for the CDI units going bad.
If the cdi unit is going bad, is it possible that there is still a spark but its sparking at the wrong time??
datada3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #257
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by datada3 View Post
If the cdi unit is going bad, is it possible that there is still a spark but its sparking at the wrong time??
I don't know. I have had what I believe, the timing advance quit working. I say I believe because I never actually checked it but by the way the bike was running--no power, not wanting to rev, exhaust sounding "flat"-- I came to that conclusion. Tried a different CDI unit and the bike woke right up.

Another thing I have had happen is the plating flaking and peeling off of the cylinder bore. When that happens you loose power, burn oil, the compression gets lower or completely goes away, depending on how bad it is coming off and the bike gets hard, if not impossible to start.

I bring this up because in one of your previous posts you say when kicking the bike over you noticed it doesn't get difficult to kick every 3rd time anymore like it used to. This sounds to me like you have lost compression.
I would run a compression check if I were you. Disconnect the auto-decompressor cable that runs from the kickstarter area to the rocker cover before you take the reading.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #258
datada3
Adventurer

Wink dripping sweat from kickin to death 85 tt600

I didn't notice this until last night but the right side of my carb (the vacuum) side the plunged needle assembly was stuck halfway open, which very well could cause a hissing noise at idle and then shut down because there is to much air. Also my compression seemed to tighten up a little after I closed that needle with a pair of needle nose. It still won't kick over though. Today I will bump start it and manually close that valve at idle if it doesn't do it on its own and see if it still hisses. I will run comp test today I have to go buy a tester. I will let you guys know what happens. YDIS Grrrr this thing was recently rebuilt too...

Okay the saga continues, couldn't even bump start it this time....wtf

datada3 screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 02:31 PM
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #259
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Question TT600 Saga????

Quote:
I didn't notice this until last night but the right side of my carb (the vacuum) side the plunged needle assembly was stuck halfway open, which very well could cause a hissing noise at idle and then shut down because there is to much air. Also my compression seemed to tighten up a little after I closed that needle with a pair of needle nose. It still won't kick over though. Today I will bump start it and manually close that valve at idle if it doesn't do it on its own and see if it still hisses. I will run comp test today I have to go buy a tester. I will let you guys know what happens. YDIS Grrrr this thing was recently rebuilt too...

Try taking out the spark plug, and giving it a kick. Check your decom cable is correct Get that carb working right. Good luck!! Got fresh gas in the tank.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #260
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Have you done a compression test yet?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #261
datada3
Adventurer

Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Have you done a compression test yet?
GULP................30psi..... I hate my life sometimes, the only thing the easter bunny left me was a rotten egg of a bike. Would 30 psi cause my bike not to start(haha) is it wishful thinking that my carb being open can cause low comp? There is resistance in my kick but I suppose that's just the crankshaft, and what maybe left of some rings......
Old 04-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #262
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
GULP................30psi..... I hate my life sometimes, the only thing the easter bunny left me was a rotten egg of a bike. Would 30 psi cause my bike not to start(haha) is it wishful thinking that my carb being open can cause low comp? There is resistance in my kick but I suppose that's just the crankshaft, and what maybe left of some rings......
Don't get discouraged. These are fun bikes, and when you get the kinks ironed out, I think you'll enjoy it. But for right now, it sounds like you'll be doing a top end rebuild. Before you start tearing it down, check and make sure your valve clearances are okay and haven't tightened up on you. Also, when you get into it, put a socket and ratchet on the flywheel bolt and try to move the crank up and down, to see if there's any play in the crank main bearings. I'm gonna have to pull my TT600 engine back apart after doing a top end rebuild because I didn't check mine before hand and didn't notice they were bad until I had it back together. Total stooge moment on my part.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #263
xlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Hello..
Letīs mix some parts. I have a 1997 yamaha XT fork and a 1989 tt600 fork, what i would like to do is put the xt lower legs och the tt upper (inner) legs, anyone done something like this ??
//M
xlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #264
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
It's probably apples and oranges, but my '84 TT600 has '90 XR600 fork legs and front wheel. Kelly.

Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #265
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Hey, I have a question. Where can I get a longer shift lever? I can't wear my MX boots with the stock unit. I have to rotate the lever up a LONG way to fit my size 13 boot under it. With the lever rotated like that, you basically have to push it backward instead of up to upshift. That's an exaggeration, but you get the idea. Anyone? Thanks, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #266
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Kelly_O;18418615]Hey, I have a question. Where can I get a longer shift lever? I can't wear my MX boots with the stock unit. I have to rotate the lever up a LONG way to fit my size 13 boot under it. With the lever rotated like that, you basically have to push it backward instead of up to upshift. That's an exaggeration, but you get the idea. Anyone? Thanks, Kelly.[/QUOTE
Kelly, You can take the shift lever to a welder, add a 1 inch and you can shift like a 12 size shoe!! Just have him cut in the middle. ED
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #267
JimmieDK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlv View Post
Hello..
Letīs mix some parts. I have a 1997 yamaha XT fork and a 1989 tt600 fork, what i would like to do is put the xt lower legs och the tt upper (inner) legs, anyone done something like this ??
//M
I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall the TT having 43mm legs, and the XT 41mm.
JimmieDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #268
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Forks Swap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieDK View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall the TT having 43mm legs, and the XT 41mm.
I have both fork legs, XT600 41mm and TT600 legs, 43 mm. So, You are 100 right%!!! Thump-On!!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #269
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninoc View Post
I had a lot of misfire at idle and decided to take a look at the intake manifold for leaks. I found that the rubber O rings were worn out and letting air through. Runs perfect now.
Great Photo!! I use it as my desktop photo!! I just found it this week, a title to one of my TT600s. Going to get her plated and have it as a 2nd "play Bike" with a plated. Thump-On!!!!1 BIG ED TT 600 FAN!!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #270
datada3
Adventurer

Wink pulling top end???

Can I replace my rings without pulling the entire motor on my 85 TT600 ???