Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #272
datada3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
You sure can. Here's a pic of mine.

Sweet, whatcha doin saturday????? Hehe.......your
about 6 hours to far north of me :( I guess I know what I'm doin now.

Thanks a lot I will keep the thread updated with the progress.
datada3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #273
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,203
Choke question here. My choke stuck on my '84, and I disassembled the choke assembly to see what was up. Blocking the brass plunger from moving was this little piece of aluminum, perfectly circular. For the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell it came from. Remove it, and the choke works fine. Did wear and tear on the carb cut a hole off something?
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #274
datada3
Adventurer

Thumb 30 psi compression.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by datada3 View Post
Sweet, whatcha doin saturday????? Hehe.......your
about 6 hours to far north of me :( I guess I know what I'm doin now.

Thanks a lot I will keep the thread updated with the progress.
AHA!!!! I have found the culprit as to why my 85 tt600 will not start let alone bump start, the reason there is 30 psi on a comp test. I pulled the top end slid off my cylinder........ Low and behold my rings were bent and broken, also the factory groves that hold the rings in place on the piston had chipped into tiny pieces. So its my belief once I replace my piston and rings and gaskets the bike will start right up again..... Any suggestions or hints before I close her back up plz feel free to let me know. Mahalo,
Dan
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #275
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
AHA!!!! I have found the culprit as to why my 85 tt600 will not start let alone bump start, the reason there is 30 psi on a comp test. I pulled the top end slid off my cylinder........ Low and behold my rings were bent and broken, also the factory groves that hold the rings in place on the piston had chipped into tiny pieces. So its my belief once I replace my piston and rings and gaskets the bike will start right up again..... Any suggestions or hints before I close her back up plz feel free to let me know. Mahalo,
Dan
I would wash the bottom end out. Clean the oil lines on the bike. Dump out your oil tank too. New filter. Run her slow for the first 10-15 minutes. Drain oil out and replace with new. Check for the oil flow it the filter cover. Do it first and 2nd time. Good Luck!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #276
Francesco2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
wlcome to my tt rehap center...

Been working on my tt's this weekend

The first one (36A from '84) should be ready within a few weeks. The frame is welded + epoxy coated, new renthal steer + refurbished controls, new fork seals, checked and regreased all bearings and a top end revision for the engine
Francesco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #277
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 444
85 TT600N For Sale, Minnesota

I know this should be in the Flea Market, I will give those in this thread for chance be for I list it for the world.

85 Yamaha TT600N, survivor, original bike, in very good condition. Clear Minnesota Street title and Minnesota licensed.

Second owner, I purchase the bike from an older rider who trailered the bike to Colorado 4-5 times for a week of trail riding. I have used it for trail riding 3-4 weekends a year. There is no hour meter or odometer on the bike so I do not know how much time or distance the bike has been ridden.
The bike is stock, except I have drilled two holes to mount a license plate and install hand guards.
Plastic parts are in very good condition, include are two Yamaha gas tanks, one very nice without decals and one with cracks from fuel with ethanol, with decals, it does not leak. Seat vinyl is very good with the YAMAHA stencil not worn off. Motor uses no oil, change after each weekend of riding. Second set of tires on the bike from the factory, Kenda K760 rear and Pirelli MT21 front 90-95% tread.

$1800.00

I hate to let this bike go, I have five bikes and need the space, so a couple need to go.

Will attempt to post photos later.

Curt Henry Minnesota Airmarshal
hennepinboy@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 AM   #278
serpe
n00b

Oddometer: 7
this is my TTE 600 in Nonna Raid 2012

serpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #279
datada3
Adventurer

Wink "washing" engine out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
I would wash the bottom end out. Clean the oil lines on the bike. Dump out your oil tank too. New filter. Run her slow for the first 10-15 minutes. Drain oil out and replace with new. Check for the oil flow it the filter cover. Do it first and 2nd time. Good Luck!!!
So Big Ed, I get it about draining my oil out a couple times and runing it low rpm and speeds at first, I totally get it and will do that for sure. Is that what you consider "washing" my engine out?? Or can I dump like 1/2 gallon of parts cleaner in lower case and shake it around really good to help loosen any possible debris out?? Or is that non advisable. I guess I'm worried if any metal fragments from the broken groves on the piston that lock in the rings??? Or if there is any will they just stay sunk at the bottom of the case??
Thx,
Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #280
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So Big Ed, I get it about draining my oil out a couple times and runing it low rpm and speeds at first, I totally get it and will do that for sure. Is that what you consider "washing" my engine out?? Or can I dump like 1/2 gallon of parts cleaner in lower case and shake it around really good to help loosen any possible debris out?? Or is that non advisable. I guess I'm worried if any metal fragments from the broken groves on the piston that lock in the rings??? Or if there is any will they just stay sunk at the bottom of the case??
Thx,
Dan
I would get some kerose and put it in the bottom and shake it around. Blow it out with a air hose. Wear goggles to protect your eyes.
I never have use parts cleaner. And the best way is to clean the cases is to, split the cases!!
BIG Ed !!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #281
datada3
Adventurer

Talking Time to buy new parts :) TT600

So Im going to order my piston as soon as I get the answer to this question??? Will a 85 xt600 piston work in my 85tt600?? It's says 84-96 xt pistons are the same so does my tt folks suit? I know with some parts it does but others not. Next what is the stock std piston size.... 95mm?? I've seen a lot of 96 and 97mm online, but I believe 95 is stock, am I correct? And finally how do I measure my existing piston with a regular tape measure to read mm??? Once I know these answers I will order my parts and bring This Beast back to life........
Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #282
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
So Im going to order my piston as soon as I get the answer to this question??? Will a 85 xt600 piston work in my 85tt600?? It's says 84-96 xt pistons are the same so does my tt folks suit? I know with some parts it does but others not. Next what is the stock std piston size.... 95mm?? I've seen a lot of 96 and 97mm online, but I believe 95 is stock, am I correct? And finally how do I measure my existing piston with a regular tape measure to read mm??? Once I know these answers I will order my parts and bring This Beast back to life........
XT and TT pistons are interchangable. 95mm is stock bore size. I don't know that you can get an accurate enough measurement with a tape measure. I would at least measure it with calipers. If you don't have any, find a machine shop or auto parts house and see if they'll measure it for you.
Are you using the stock bore or going oversize? If stock, definately get the cylinder measured. It could look fine but be way out of spec.
If you decide to go stock bore, I have a Wiseco 11.5:1 piston I'd make you a deal on.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #283
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
XT and TT pistons are interchangable. 95mm is stock bore size. I don't know that you can get an accurate enough measurement with a tape measure. I would at least measure it with calipers. If you don't have any, find a machine shop or auto parts house and see if they'll measure it for you.
Are you using the stock bore or going oversize? If stock, definately get the cylinder measured. It could look fine but be way out of spec.
If you decide to go stock bore, I have a Wiseco 11.5:1 piston I'd make you a deal on.
Remember that the TT barrel is a chrome bore. The XT is not. You can bore it. BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #284
datada3
Adventurer

piston size

So I took my piston and cylinder to a machine shop, and it measures just on the cusp of 97mm. On the callipers it shows right on the line or just a hair before the line of 97. But with another tool they came up with 97.09...So does that mean my piston is 97 mm or do I order a 96 for clearance??? and yes my cylinder is Chrome....also can I get away with useing stock 95mm top end gaskets with a 97mm piston?? TT600 out!!!!

datada3 screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 08:38 AM
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #285
datada3
Adventurer

Cannot locate a part...

Does anyone have a camshaft cap they can sell me ( that little 1" round magneseum piece between the valve cover and cylinder head that sits at the end of the camshaft) ????? 85 TT600, dealership cannot get one, bike bandit cant, motosport cant, and its a hard find on ebay.....