Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #106
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
This evening I changed the spark plug and installed a NEW UNI filter. The bike started fine, idled fine and revved nice and clean. There still is a problem of some sort. I took her for a short ride around the neighborhood. It accelerates good and hard and doesn't stall at the stop signs. It does "surge" while riding along at a constant speed. There are 2 things that I am considering as THE problem. It's possible that I may have tweaked the float level when I took the bowl off the first time. Does anyone know what the measurement for the float should be. I know that isn't the CORRECT way to judge float height, but it would let me judge if the level is even in the ball park. The other possibility is the idle mixture screw o-ring. I noticed that it has a tear in it. It isn't torn through. What say you, TT veterans?
I would bet that it is the idle circuit. I have had the same thing happen with very lean idle jets. Usually float level causes more dramatic problems.

Mike
Old 06-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #107
Zahnarzt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Ditto

I agree with Mike. I've have a few torn idle screw O-rings and the symptoms were similar.
If I remember, I was able to find one that worked great at my local Ace Hardware in the metric section.
Or... Maybe you just need to ride it faster...That works too
Good Luck
Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #108
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
The tear in the little idle mix o-ring is EXACTLY what I was refering to in my last post....been there and done that, and in fact have a WR sitting in my shop waiting on a new o-ring as I type this that has the EXACT same issue!

To check your gas level just put about a foot long piece of clear tygon tubing on the drain screw barb and run it over and up next to your carb. Open the drain screw with the petcock on and it will show you the height of your gas in the carb as the level of gas will rise to the same level as it is in the fuel bowl. It should be roughly about a quarter inch or so below the gasket line where the carb bowl comes apart.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #109
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

It started

I finally got around to doing something with my TT. I power washed a ton of dirt and grease off the the thing. I turn on the gas and the over flow spilled gas all over the drive way. I figured since the bowl was full I would try and kick it over. I have no idea how old the gas is in the tank. It started after about 30 kicks. It ran well and I got it warmed up enough for it to idle smoothly.

I think it is just a matter of getting the needle valve to seat again. Then tires, tubes, grips, chain, sprockets and maintenance on everything else.

I forgot how light the TT was compared to the L.

What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting on your TT? I think I would rather have the TT for my serious DS bike. The L can be for the long distance stuff.

Mike
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #110
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
The tear in the little idle mix o-ring is EXACTLY what I was refering to in my last post....been there and done that, and in fact have a WR sitting in my shop waiting on a new o-ring as I type this that has the EXACT same issue!

To check your gas level just put about a foot long piece of clear tygon tubing on the drain screw barb and run it over and up next to your carb. Open the drain screw with the petcock on and it will show you the height of your gas in the carb as the level of gas will rise to the same level as it is in the fuel bowl. It should be roughly about a quarter inch or so below the gasket line where the carb bowl comes apart.

Damn! I thought it was the o-ring on the mixture screw, but I pulled that this evening and it's fine. I bought a section of plastic tubing tonight. Looks like I'll be checking the float level in the AM and then delving into the bowl again. I know there's a bad o-ring in there. The Wife also saw it. It does feel good getting to know the old bike, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #111
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Cigar Mike,

I cannot believe it started and ran on old gas, must have had stabalizer in it? You NEED to buy a lottery ticket!

That looks like the same Supertrapp I had on mine only I had about another inch of baffles installed!

Kelly_O,

Is the surging while at a pretty decent speed? I believe that second carb does not kick in till about half throttle or so and if it is in the upper zone it could be a leak, crack, or puncture in that top diaphragm for the secondary carb. It draws it's gas off that lower rubber line that comes off the 1st carbs bowl so make sure that line is not plugged as well.

Also I had an issue once where the pilot jet had somehow sucked a little bitty piece of rubber (not sure to this day WTH it came from) up into the jet. It would run fine sometimes and then start getting all raggedy at other times as that piece of rubber would move around and foul up the flow of things.

It was a real bear to find too. I was ready to off load the bike a few times before I found it!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #112
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Gas Mileage?

What kind of range are you guys getting from a tank of gas?

I am trying to figure out if I am going to try and fit a larger after market tank from another model.

Mike
Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #113
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cigar Mike,

I cannot believe it started and ran on old gas, must have had stabalizer in it? You NEED to buy a lottery ticket!

That looks like the same Supertrapp I had on mine only I had about another inch of baffles installed!

Kelly_O,

Is the surging while at a pretty decent speed? I believe that second carb does not kick in till about half throttle or so and if it is in the upper zone it could be a leak, crack, or puncture in that top diaphragm for the secondary carb. It draws it's gas off that lower rubber line that comes off the 1st carbs bowl so make sure that line is not plugged as well.

Also I had an issue once where the pilot jet had somehow sucked a little bitty piece of rubber (not sure to this day WTH it came from) up into the jet. It would run fine sometimes and then start getting all raggedy at other times as that piece of rubber would move around and foul up the flow of things.

It was a real bear to find too. I was ready to off load the bike a few times before I found it!

I pulled the bowl off, cleaned jets AGAIN, installed new o-rings on the pilot screw and main jet. It's doing the same thing. It idles fine, accelerates fine, but surges at steady throttle. ANY rpm steady throttle. I put a clear hose on the float and it seems really high. It's actually ABOVE the float bowl. I noticed while it was apart that the float would actually move into the carb body. It looked like too much. Is it? I'm befuddled, Kelly.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #114
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
I ran my TT600 last night. Have a 5 mile "woods" trail out back of house. Can only ride in late spring summer, early fall. Floods the rest of the time. My last ride was about 2 months ago, my tt started right up. Gas stabler in the tank {Red stuff} . Works good.
Next week i am going to get my toes "Fix". So it sits again!!::((( Diabetes Crap!!!! ED

Hey Ed,
Are they going to break and straighten your toes? The owner of the company I work for had that done a few years ago. It was a reasonably short healing time for him. Hope all goes well for you. Let us know how you're doing, Kelly.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #115
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Cigar Mike,

I know I used to be able to go 80 miles fairly easily on a tank (Stock tank).... and I once went just over 90 but was on reserve about the the last ten and was starting to sweat bullets as I HATE pushing....especially in sand!

Kelly_O,

Yep that is way to high...I bet the over full condition is causing it to do that surge. It should be BELOW where the fuel bowl gasket/ bowl comes apart from carb. I think I used to set mine so the floats would be about level with the bottom gasket surface when the needle and seat just closed.

I looked for the manual I had for it but could not locate it yesterday, it probably gave a measurement,....I may have given that to the guy who bought the bike from me.

I will look in my other manual for my SRX and see what it says, It is a different way more complex carb but pretty much same motor, and also an '86.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #116
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,212
Hey guys, according to my Genuine Yamaha Service Manual , the float height should be set at 26.0 mm +/- 1.0 mm.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #117
arcadas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Look what an ex-girlfriend did to a man's bike ! She burned it to the bone ...
Attached Images

arcadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #118
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Cigar Mike,

I know I used to be able to go 80 miles fairly easily on a tank (Stock tank).... and I once went just over 90 but was on reserve about the the last ten and was starting to sweat bullets as I HATE pushing....especially in sand!
Thank you, a bigger tank it is.

Mike
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #119
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Float Height...

OK and thanks, we've determined that the float height should be around 26mm. From what and to what? With the carb right side up? How should the tab be bent? I've heard there's a YamaTool. I'll be using hand tools. I am thankful for all the help and advice you guys give, Kelly.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #120
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
Pissed Fire???

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadas View Post
Look what an ex-girlfriend did to a man's bike ! She burned it to the bone ...
Thats to sad!!
BIG ED XT FAN is online now   Reply With Quote