Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2014, 12:55 AM   #211
El_Duderino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
A very interesting question you ask...but I guess it depends on the individual. This question has come up over the years as an only-child, and can say, amongst others that we have no such problems. It is normal to enjoy your own company, entertain yourself, be used to acting independently, etc. Many others who have siblings have found it to be quite the opposite.

A great example recently was hiking for a week with a best-mate (who has a brother). I was quite happy to enjoy the surroundings and do my thing, but he needed a lot of conversation, mental stimulation, and someone to share the experience with to avoid the boredom. Granted I go hiking lots solo, but he knew when to shut-up and let me enjoy things, and we didn't get on each others nerves...we recognised each others needs and were considerate.

I've done weeks away alone on foot, bike n 4x4 n never had a problem. So to summise, it really depends on the type of personality you are as to whether you will feel alone.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #212
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,258
The older I get, the more I like traveling solo; seems like that's not unusual based on the responses in this thread. It's been a long time since I've been lonely on a solo trip. That being said, I don't have a problem traveling with companions, but they have to be the right kinda people, or I start wishing for solitude in a hurry.

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #213
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 196
I echo what many here have said, traveling solo does not mean being lonely all the time and in many respects it forces otherwise introverted personalities to interact with others which can be very gratifying.

However, camping solo at night, after riding all day, gets very old. I suppose if you camp in campgrounds with people around or stay in hostels, that's a world of difference. But if you've got nobody to talk with after talking to yourself in your helmet all day... for days on end... it's lonely in my experience.

Riding with others... it's so easy to get on each others nerves. Id definitely be prepared to split up if necessary.
Solo Ride – Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back – 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #214
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
If you read every post in this thread and take good notes, you could have a huge list of pros and cons for going either solo or with others.

Each individual person, and potential combinations of peeps, will be unique for all of the aforementioned reasons.

If possible, a loong weekend test-ride should ferret out any major differences you might have with a potential traveling partner. My experience has been that any expectations should NOT include any fundamental changes in anybody's behavior. If the test ride goes well, then there is potential. if not, then move along son, there is nothing here to see.

Have fun!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #215
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
IMO it depends entirely on where you are, Alaska for example I don't think I'd want to do alone but SE Asia or South America hell yeah
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #216
rockitman4x4
ol retread

Oddometer: 61
The way I see it on a bike you're always "solo" to some extent. I took the passenger foot pegs off so I always get to ride "solo". Thats one of the things I enjoy most about this sport. Even in a group of other riders you're in your own world. When you stop , most of the time there are people around thats OK. I don't mind camping alone. But then I do like myself. There are times when I don't want to have to talk with people. I have to deal with people every day when I'm at work, I ride to get away from them. To each his own, so they say.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #217
cldiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
I echo what many here have said, traveling solo does not mean being lonely all the time and in many respects it forces otherwise introverted personalities to interact with others which can be very gratifying.

However, camping solo at night, after riding all day, gets very old. I suppose if you camp in campgrounds with people around or stay in hostels, that's a world of difference. But if you've got nobody to talk with after talking to yourself in your helmet all day... for days on end... it's lonely in my experience.

Riding with others... it's so easy to get on each others nerves. Id definitely be prepared to split up if necessary.
I second this. After 2 or 3 days of riding 12 -14 hr/ day alone even I, a well known loner, have to talk to somebody.

For me the problem with riding/traveling with others is that I've got my plan and I don't want to compromise.

I tried camping but found it hard to get a good sleep, parties, storms, rough ground..etc. Riding all day in the rain with a few hours sleep is a bad idea.
cldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #218
Lawrence908
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Just watched a good video that made me think a bit about being alone, versus being lonely.
That's the main theme of the video, however it's mostly about the social media aspect.
I think this still displays a good viewpoint when it comes to solo riding...alone=/=lonely.

Lawrence908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:59 AM   #219
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence908 View Post
Just watched a good video that made me think a bit about being alone, versus being lonely.
Interesting presentation.

Some food for thought: People are very rarely ever alone. You are generally within 6 feet of a spider anytime your feet are on the ground, you are in your sleeping bag, sitting on a toilet, or laying in the grass watching the stars above you.

Guess I'm in the anti-social camp. I could care less about social media like Facebook and Twitter (of course, I do have a blog for an online journal of sorts), and when I ride long distance, I seem to have a rythym for going and stopping that very few others can handle. I ride until tired, so no need to sit around for hours talking...happy to climb into the bag, sleep, and get up early to do it all over again.

I guess my desire for social interaction when out riding and getting some relaxation is waning. Oh well. Some people simply cannot survive by their selves for a long period of time and need the constant recognition from others or the interaction of talking to feel at peace. I'm not one of those; happy to go off by myself.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #220
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,292
Its fun to be with buds on a shorter trip, but anything longer than a couple weeks, solo is way more relaxing and rewarding. With all the smartphones and internet connections, you're never really alone though, unless you want to be.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #221
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 720
Don't confuse alone with lonely! That video a few posts before me is right on target.

I am an extrovert and confess I rather dread large group experiences - I even decided to NOT do the Oakland half marathon this year because it was too many people.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #222
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I'm an only child, and very comfortable in my own skin, in my own company.

However, I have learned that at about the five-month stage, I get really tired of being a Gringo in Latin America. The language barrier, the repetition of predictable interactions, the repetition of each day's routines really start to get on my nerves.

Coming up on my sixth month on the road (much of it shared with other people), and I actively want my trip to be over. It's hard to determine whether it is just me, or objectively the environment. Since I left Argentina, each country has been less inviting, less engaging, and more apt to annoy me.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #223
Capri142
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Lonely?

Most all of my riding is solo yet I rarely ever feel Lonely. One in awhile it is nice to meet up with another rider on the road and ride with them for a short while of even stop with them for a meal but I find I am much more comfortable riding alone. I guess I can say that the only times that I have ever felt lonely, that I have ever really wished that there was someone else along is when I happen to see something particularly beautiful such as a stunning sunset. It's almost impossible to put such things into words and pictures never really capture the feeling that goes along with the setting.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #224
Capri142
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Solo

If you do decide to head off on your own have your bike checked over by a good mechanic before leaving and do a 1OO MILE or so ride just to make sure all is well before heading out on the big ride alone. Not saying that it will prevent any problems but it will help and give you some peace of mind. The last thing anyone needs while riding alone is to have the bike break down.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #225
Vagabond25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
...camping solo at night, after riding all day, gets very old. I suppose if you camp in campgrounds with people around or stay in hostels, that's a world of difference. But if you've got nobody to talk with after talking to yourself in your helmet all day... for days on end... it's lonely in my experience.

Riding with others... it's so easy to get on each others nerves. I'd definitely be prepared to split up if necessary.
I agree. It's one thing to be on the road all alone in your helmet all day, but to not be able to chat with someone at the end of it all (let alone a helping hand to pitch camp or fix dinner) does get old quickly.

I think the best way to mitigate frayed nerves is to include everyone in the planning phase leading up to the trip. If expectations for the trip aren't decided democratically from the very start, you're just asking for trouble later down the road.
'08 R12GS/Hack
Vagabond25 is offline   Reply With Quote