Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #31
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Post an ADV sticker on your bike, put up the ADV flag on your campsite.

You'll be surprised how much company drops by in the evening.

Traveling solo is great. Taking off on a long ride solo after getting laid off was one of the best things I've ever done.

Traveling with others imposes their will and agenda onto yours and vice versa. Traveling alone is so much smoother. Riding/camping with buddies is fun, but you stay in the pack then, solo you meet so many more people.

My solo trip was really an eye opener. Can't wait to do something similar again.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #32
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
So I got a sidecar and travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks I would never approach on my own introverted self, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard.

That's signature material there !!!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #33
WolfNman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
When your alone you are free to do what ever you want without worry of how the others might take it. But this is your ride, if you want someone to go with you and can find someone, awesome.
WolfNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 83
solo = free
k woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #35
ABADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder54 View Post
I'm planning a trip to South America and back that will not start for another 18 months. I'm already starting preparations with research etc. More than likely I'll be going alone. I'm wondering if any of you long distance solo guys/girls get lonely on the road. Personally, I'd rather do this trip with someone but we all know how difficult it can be to get someone else to make the commitment. Interested in your thoughts...
Sounds silly but it really depends on your make up. I for one who enjoy the company of others find that when I take off for a weekend or two by myself I tend to get a bit lonely. I find that when I'm on my motorcycle the world comes to a screeching halt while the rest of the world continues to propel forward. I have also found that if you try and plan a trip with another person 9 times out of 10 the trip wont happen. Plan it by yourself and you will meet people along the way to ride with. My .02
Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #36
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,764
I think my favorite way to travel (at least for trips lasting longer than a couple of days) is the on-again-off-again arrangement. I love the freedom to go out and do my own thing, but it is nice to meet up and do some riding together. I have done a couple of trips like that over the years.

Actually, I am also thinking about a SA trip next fall sometime. I have not gotten very far in the planning stages, but if you want to make some connections to ride part of the way, send me a PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #37
Speeder54 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderRider View Post
Actually, I am also thinking about a SA trip next fall sometime. I have not gotten very far in the planning stages, but if you want to make some connections to ride part of the way, send me a PM.
Absolutely. The earliest I'm looking at going will be January 1, 2013 but I'll let you know if plans change.
Speeder54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #38
ItchyFeet
Too young to resist

Oddometer: 66
Philosophically speaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Seems to me that travelling alone in a foreign country,especially in less civilized areas, is taking a big risk. Easy target for foulplay and who would even miss you .
and if you are not missed, does it really matter what happens to one's self?

I say go for it and experience everything, you won't be as lonely as you expect. The world is too small for that to happen.
When you get back from your travels, and tell your friends of all the interesting people you have met in obscure bars and hostels. Only to realize after years of travel, you are the guy they talk about. - Cedric Pieterse
ItchyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #39
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,939
When you guys say solo, are you saying riding AND camping solo, or do you stop for the night in places where you'll meet other people? There's a big difference IMO between pitching your tent where there's not another soul for miles...and pitching it in a campground or park where new friends exist one campsite over. I like to alternate between the two: camping on a deserted beach solo is cool for a while, but the nights are a lot longer than I can sleep, and talking to myself around a campfire gets old after a couple of days.

Hence the dog...

See-Double-You: thanks for the suggestion!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #40
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 185
Through my own experience, traveling solo is the way to go.
Unless you are in the exact same time, financial and interest positions, there will be conflicts. I have seen many long term friendships and relationships go to shit as a result of this. Remember this is your trip and I assure you that you get frustrated very quickly having to compromise doing it the way you want to.
Yes, there will be times that you wish you had your best buddy there with you to share your experiences, and there is a definite safety aspect to motorcycle touring with a buddy. I think having the ability to make seat-of-the pants decisions and tailor your trip to yourself far outweighs this. My biggest positive traveling experiences (some life changing) have been as a result of completely impusive decisions that came completely unexpected circumstances.
Staying in hostels is a great way to be meet like minded others, and get your party on. Hooking up with other riders for short legs can be a good way to get through risky areas too.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #41
Speeder54 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and reading these replies has been great. The more I read the more I want to do this trip on my own. For me, this has been a process of realigning some expectations about what this trip might be.

The other day I was doing homework all day and felt a bit lonely. Then I realized that those feelings were great practice for what is to come. Now, I expect there to be times of loneliness and because I expect them, I can deal with them better. I know that being on my own will help to force me to reach out to others I meet along the way. And those spontaneous meetings are the ones that really allow you to experience some of the best parts of life.

The idea of meeting others for short legs of the journey is also really exciting. A few days with new friends, a few days on my own. Sweet.
Speeder54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
JohnBryer
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 923
For me, riding alone is quite enjoyable. I ride where I want, and I stop when I want. I rarely go off road alone, and when I do, I ride way below my limits. So far, it's worked for me.

The thing I don't like is nights. I hate being alone at night, and I hate trying to find dinner, or set up camp alone.
JohnBryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #43
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I love riding alone. I'm slow, I start and stop when I want, i've only had two people I"ve ever been at ease with on the road. When I went across the US, I went alone. Loved it. Most of my admittedly smaller trips around New England have had at least one person waiting at the end of the day, but I love traveling alone by bike. If not by bike, I like my wife with me.
LowInSlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #44
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,943
When traveling on my own I always end up meeting heaps of lovely people. As many have found, folk approach you for a chat. I camp in campgrounds or in the bush, happy either way. If I feel uncomfortable for any reason, I move on to where I can relax.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #45
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
I'm currently traveling "solo" around the world. I've been gone since the end of July and the only time I rode alone for more than a week at a time was in the USA. In the US, there aren't as many other riders making big trips. Usually it is quick weekend or weeklong trips and there are so many routes it is impossible to meet another rider going the same direction you are going.

In South EAst Asia, all the long term travelers do the same route. It is impossible to ride without running into people going the same way. Riding with people is the best way to get to know someone too! I really enjoy embarking solo because you end up riding with a variety of poeple. When you travel with a buddy or 2, you'll only ride with them even if you meet other people.

The exact was true with my Tx -> TDF ride. I rode with a german guy for 4 months!

If I had passenger pegs, I could easily pick up a backpacker too!

Solo? Only if you try very hard.