Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #61
Roso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
In my case, travelling solo has always ended up with mood extremes. From euphoric feeling of freedom to deep loneliness.
Most of the contacts made along the way are shallow and superficial, good to spice up the trip, not sufficient to say "I made a lots of friends".
I guess it all depends on one's personality and state of mind.
Anyway it's unique experience and the best way to learn more about yourself.
Listening to the desert....
Roso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #62
dukedinner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Traveling solo makes me more aware of the here and now without having to deal with someone else's agenda. I do travel now and then with a few good friends, but the trips I remember the most are the ones I have done by myself. When riding alone I never really feel alone though..I always enjoy meeting new people who live ordinary lives in places I don't...and I hope many of them feel the same way about meeting me...
dukedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #63
Toolpen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Because I'm not much of a planner I travel alone. When traveling, I pretty much do not know from day to day where I will be riding and I know most of my friends would not like to travel this way. And because I've always been a loner this type of travel comes easy to me. I do find that one of the neat things about traveling solo is that it is easier to meet new people. When traveling solo, you're more approachable.

Toolpen screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 01:38 PM
Toolpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #64
island.gemini
n00b

Oddometer: 2
never alone but by choice

One thing is certain, not all people are the same - that is good. Personally I love traveling alone and just don't like riding in big groups. However, some trips need at least one other person along. Have you ever tried to get out of a mud hole alone or tried to some types of repair alone? That is my only concern that leads to partnering with one or two other people, I often can find those people on the trip. Being lonely is not one of my concerns. I have felt lonely within a large group and been very contented with nothing but the stars to keep me company. Of course as my name implies I am a gemini so there are always two on the trip.

To each his/her own, follow your own star and don't just follow anyone who wants to lead.
island.gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #65
Speeder54 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by island.gemini View Post
However, some trips need at least one other person along. Have you ever tried to get out of a mud hole alone or tried to some types of repair alone?
This is certainly a big concern. I would hate to fall and break a bone and be the only one out there...
Speeder54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #66
DUNDAS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Buy a SPOT personal tracker for the trip i would just for peace of mind
1974 DT 100 enduro (wife's)
DUNDAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #67
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Crashmaster and DaveG know what's up
Samaza and Greenthumb are spot-on re border security

A trip like this solo will build your confidence greatly, and make you realize what the real good people/bad people balance really is

There's something that's been mentioned briefly that I'd like to expand on.
There's a lot of riders out there on the road now, doing just the same thing.

You can pull-up to motorcycle travelling strangers anytime in any country and say "hey what's up?" like you haven't seen 'em for a while. Instant connection because your on the same page.

Maybe you travel together for a day, maybe a week. Maybe you just share food, drinks, and stories over a campfire. You head your separate ways when the time is right and go back to riding solo it's all good.

I much prefer to travel solo, I like to stop and check sh*t out, take photos, see where that dead-end road goes. As far as I'm concerned you loose the real freedom of a motorcycle as soon as you are not alone.
But I do like to balance the solitude with speaking with locals and other motorcycle travelers.

I swapped campfire stories with 2 cool guys from Germany in California
Way out West-2193

Traveled a couple days with the boys from Oregon in Baja
Way out West-1270306

Spent a week checking out Mayan ruins with a guy from England
Way out West-1290010

Hang out for a while than go your separate ways - no hard feelings.

Border security all you need to do is keep yer sh*t from being "snatchable"
I had soft luggage with questionable DIY cable locks and a pacsafe over the duffle - and I only put them on at borders. Park where it's busy and in-front of the guy with the the mossberg.
I always took my helmet and tank bag with me.

Way out West-1310046

If you want to go for a day-hike, you'd best leave your luggage somewhere safe, I found hotel owners had trustworthy stash spots (I locked my luggage as well as keeping it somwhere safe)

Hotels are cheap and let you park inside. like really inside.
Way out West-0983

If you're not feeling super-confident about going solo, you will be by the time you get back.

Oh and LEARN SOME SPANISH! You'll have a much easier time day-to-day and then you will really understand how generous and welcoming people are to a traveller.

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #68
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roso View Post
In my case, travelling solo has always ended up with mood extremes. From euphoric feeling of freedom to deep loneliness.
Most of the contacts made along the way are shallow and superficial, good to spice up the trip, not sufficient to say "I made a lots of friends".
+1 ... Almost exactly my experience.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #69
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojournalism View Post

Way out West-1310046
I remember that border. What a hot, confusing, corrupt dump that place was. I had about a dozen wannabe 'helpers' chasing and grabbing my bike before I had even come to a stop. Oh - fun times
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #70
Oldpatch
Everybody is a local.

Oddometer: 25
To me traveling by bike is about being able to indulge in a whim without worrying about anyone else mucking it up. Ever turnaround and explore a road you just passed just because you could? ‘Cause it looked more interesting than the one you’re on? Try explaining that to someone else who is schedule driven. That by itself is reason enough to go it alone. Riding with someone else you each get a trip neither one of you wants.
From a safety standpoint, I am a scuba diver and the golden mantra of diving is always dive with a buddy. Bull. If you’re not safe in the water by yourself you’re a danger to your buddy. You can’t have your own dive looking over someone elses shoulder (not you, honey!). Life is your own experience, you entered alone, you'll leave alone. Do it your way.

It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. Rather it is regret over yesterday or fear of tomorrow. Regret and Fear are twin thieves that would rob us of today. Enjoy the journey, tomorrow is not a promise.
Oldpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #71
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpatch View Post
To me traveling by bike is about being able to indulge in a whim without worrying about anyone else mucking it up. Ever turnaround and explore a road you just passed just because you could? ‘Cause it looked more interesting than the one you’re on? Try explaining that to someone else who is schedule driven. That by itself is reason enough to go it alone. Riding with someone else you each get a trip neither one of you wants.
Amen to that.

Several years ago I tried riding an entire weekend with a Bud. Each time I turned around on a whim to ride a different route and explore, he'd have me stop to explain what was going on. Same if I stopped to take a picture: "Why are you taking a picture of that?"

Drove me nuts and quickly sucked the spontaneity (and fun) out of the ride.

Never again.
I've been solo since.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #72
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,315
I only travel alone. The first two weeks I'm lonely, then I get over it and have a hell of a good time!!!!!!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #73
dreemrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Solo or with others...

I don't know as all of my travels have been with someone else. I know that I would be a little nervous by myself in a foreign country but would like to do the same trip you are talking about, and maybe at about the same time. If you might be interested in putting together a plan, pm me.
dreemrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #74
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roso View Post
+1.

I always traveled alone. Logistics and practical things ARE harder. Safety IS a lot worse. It did stop me from doing some social things that generally groups of people do.

So on my current trip to India, my friend came along... and quit a few days into the trip... Back to riding alone for me I guess.

I do think it would be much more fun to do these trips with one or two other people, but you really have to mesh 100% with those people and that is very hard to find.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #75
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,383
It can be a mixed bag. On one hand, there can be safety in numbers -- especially south of the border.

On the other hand, when traveling with others, you often quickly discover how much of a stupid dip-shit your travel companion(s) (or their spouse) can be.

I have found that the best part of riding solo is the total freedom to determine you own schedule, your own direction and your personal enjoyment factor. And I agree that camping by ones self is no fun. That's why I seldom camp -- mostly stay at Inns or motels AND I have always been able to strike-up a conversation with others. And some rather nice people at that! I've forgotten how many attractive females got all worked-up over the prospects of blowing-out of her small town on the back of my bike. Seriously! It has happened alot. Although so far, I have'nt ridden-off with one. (I figure I would probably be chewing off a whole new set of problems if I did.) And yes, I have even been offered sex for a ride on the GS. (Not in so many words, but I didn't need a ton of briks to fall on me to understand what she was implying.)

Once upon a solo long distance trip, a seriously smokin hot road construction flag gal, holding up traffic in Oregon, was staing/gazing at me with this huge smile from across the road and when she let traffic go, I rode right by her as she mouthed the words "I think I love You!" No doubt, she wanted to trade her stop sign in for a BMW "Go Sign." (Let me tell you I thought about the possibilities of that encounter for more than a few days.)

So, riding alone has its advantages and I would also say (with rare exceptions), that the advantages of riding alone far, far outweigh the disadvantages.

Drifter screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 07:23 PM
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote