User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Will Travel for Koolaid, a KTM 990 Adventure

Hi folks! My long time ride and love, a 2005 DR650 has finally been taken out of commission for a while. On March 4th of this year I was heading south from Seattle on I5 when we were rear ended. My guardian angel must have been looking out for me that day, because I came out of it with just some minor injuries.

The DR however needs some repair due to the accident, and the engine really needs some love due to the 47k miles on the clock and bad results from a leak down test as well as lots of metal filings on the magnetic drain plug.

This is how she sits now...

And the engine in its current state of display...

The cause of the failed leak down test...

The metal filings and their source from within the engine...

Needless to say my beloved DR will be out of commission for quite some time, so it was time to look for a new ride.

For the longest time I have been eying the most bodacious of the heavy dual sport bikes, the KTM 990 ADV. I love how they look. I love how they sound. I love how they ride (from the videos I have seen anyhow). I pretty much love everything about them. But then again I haven't had the privilege of doing any maintenance on one before, so it may end up being more of a love hate relationship if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, shortly after the accident I started to really begin to taste the orange koolaid. I began to make daily, sometimes hourly Craigslist searches for the perfect bike, but it was illusive. One night as I was getting comfortable in bed, I decided to do just one more quick search. I skipped past the few posts that I had already seen, then I saw it. "2010 KTM 990 Adventure, Like New, $10500". The I noticed the location; Arkansas. "Oh well", I thought. "Someone's going to snag that deal quicker than quick." I sent a text to the seller with a glimmer of hope that he still had the bike then settled down for a nice nights sleep. As I drifted off I thought to myself what a shame it was that I was going to miss such a great bike. Oh well. Ya gotta try...

The next morning at work was one of those mornings where it's just blahhh and no amount of coffee was going to jump start my productivity much less my mood. Then it happened. My cell phone screen lit up showing 1 new text message. "What is it now?", I thought. In fact I had already forgotten that I had sent the text about the bike the night before. "Yes, the KTM is still for sale." I couldn't believe my eyes! I immediately replied and we went back and forth for some time about the bike, its condition, etc. The seller was even kind enough to consider a deposit with delivery of funds some days in the future. He texted a number of photos of the bike and a video of a walk around and engine start up. The moto was beautiful; new as if it were still on the show room floor. As I heard that 990 fire up for the first time in the video it purred like a kitten. A dirty little kitten. In fact all I could hear was "ba ba ba ba ba ba vrooooom. Which to me translated directly to "Come get me, daddy. I've been a bad girl." The deal was done! I was all in 100%. Deposit sent express mail. Time couldn't pass quick enough at this point.

He she is in all her squeeky clean glory.

It could be said that the seller has been great, but the truth is he has been perfect. I can't say enough about they buying experience so far, and I don't have any reason to believe that it will change along the way. Thanks for being so great to work with, Dave!

Dave serviced the big girl, then put her down for a nap until I am able to make it out to his house, which will be soon. very soon.

-Time for Trip Planning-

I live in Tacoma, WA, just south of Seattle. Dave and the 990 are in Little Rock, AR. This is going to be a fly and ride mission, so getting down there should be the quick and easy part. I plan to fly out of Seattle early in the morning on Saturday May 9th which will put me in Little Rock sometime around 1 or 2 PM to meet with Dave. I have never planned a trip this long, so I'll throw a few questions out there to kick off the planning stage.

-What tools/software are best to use to plan such long trips? I will be using a Garmin Montana 600 on this trip.
-What is your trip planning process?
-What route would you suggest?
-What suggestions do you have on stops, or things to see along the way?
-What would be the best way to get all the gear down there. Check bag or mail?

I don't want to miss things along the way, but I also only have 8 full days of travel once I leave Little Rock to make it the 2400ish miles back to Tacoma. Generally I plan to camp as much as possible, but a motel room isn't out of the questions depending on weather. At this point, Yellow Stone National Park is a must see.

As route planning progresses I will post the details here. Once the trip starts, this thread will transform into the ride report.

Thanks for tagging along. It's going to be a great adventure.

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber

therivermonster screwed with this post 04-22-2015 at 05:11 AM
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Av8rPaul
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Congrats, that bike looks awesome! My 950 was the greatest machine I ever owned. If I'd have seen that bike we'd have been racing to it LOL!

The factory tool kit is quite complete for normal stuff you'd need to do, I only added tire fixing stuff and my little Slime air compressor to what I carried. I've always checked a bag to do fly and ride. I'm an airline pilot and the flying part is always free for me Just had to throw that in...

Personally, I would pull out some "real" maps, the paper kind and kind of pick some spots you'd like to see, there's so much between Little Rock and Tacoma you could be on the road for months and miss a lot. I've been riding around the country since the 80's and I feel like I'm just getting started! I'd be looking at some of the Colorado stuff, like the Million dollar highway, Estes Park, just go wander... GPS is cool but tell it where you want to go not the other way around.

Don't overpack with crap like so many are fond of doing and enjoy that Austrian race horse! That's all I got!
IBA #33
2015 R1200GS
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
Great bike.
I would skip Yellowstone. It is not a fun place to be on a bike !
At least it was not for me.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Great bike.
I would skip Yellowstone. It is not a fun place to be on a bike !
At least it was not for me.
Hey bigdon! Why wasn't it fun on a bike in Yellowstone? Thanks!

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber

therivermonster screwed with this post 04-23-2015 at 07:15 AM
Old 04-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,681
It was hot and all the Tourist will stop in the middle of the road to look at
a rabbit. Heaven forbid they see a Bear or Buffalo !
It's the worst gridlocked place I've ever been !
It is beautiful but not worth it. IMO
You will have much more fun riding that 990 on back roads around there than sitting on it in Yellowstone and listening to the fan run !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Concreteartist
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Regarding Yellowstone

Being as your ride is early May, school is in not out yet and full blown tourist season hasn't begun. I will show you some Yellowstone pics when you get here to pick up the bike. I've been at least 3 times and will go again when I get close
Concreteartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
Congrats, that bike looks awesome! My 950 was the greatest machine I ever owned. If I'd have seen that bike we'd have been racing to it LOL!

The factory tool kit is quite complete for normal stuff you'd need to do, I only added tire fixing stuff and my little Slime air compressor to what I carried. I've always checked a bag to do fly and ride. I'm an airline pilot and the flying part is always free for me Just had to throw that in...

Personally, I would pull out some "real" maps, the paper kind and kind of pick some spots you'd like to see, there's so much between Little Rock and Tacoma you could be on the road for months and miss a lot. I've been riding around the country since the 80's and I feel like I'm just getting started! I'd be looking at some of the Colorado stuff, like the Million dollar highway, Estes Park, just go wander... GPS is cool but tell it where you want to go not the other way around.

Don't overpack with crap like so many are fond of doing and enjoy that Austrian race horse! That's all I got!
Totally agree with the above. Tire repair stuff and some kind of air system. I love paper maps and only use the GPS for basic stuff. Look for dirt and stay off of the highway. That's what I did on my fly-n-ride for my 990, I could have went straight home @ 700 miles but was able to make it about 1500! It was a blast and the seller was awesome. Have fun and welcome, you will never go back......
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Very nice bike! Enjoy your ride home. Yellowstone is high country and late April and May can have a lot of snow. Do your research.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
silverboy66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
: Ricky: Clap
Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #10
sharkmotorcycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Great Bike & seems well maintained, very nice purchase.....
Old 04-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
eaglecaprider76
Just Go

Oddometer: 8
Great Choice in bike, I just got my 990 a couple weeks back and love it. Great transition from the 650 class.
eaglecaprider76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Route planning continued...

Here are the route options that I have in mind.

Route# 1
-Head North West out of Little Rock into either Missouri or Oklahoma on into Kansas on the way to Colorado.

-From Colorado I'll do some sight seeing on my way up to Wyoming for Yellow Stone.

-Then into Montana for Glacier National Park.

-From Glacier National Park, I'll shoot due west and rocket back home through the pan handle of Idaho on into Washington.

Route# 2
-Head North West out of Little Rock into either Missouri or Oklahoma on into Kansas on the way to Colorado.

-From Colorado head into Utah to check out the national parks and Moab.

-Leave Colorado from the North up into Idaho and check out all the scenery up there while I make my way back into Washington and home.

Of course with my trip happening in early May, there may be some road closures to deal with, but I'll do what I can. Currently it looks like a lot of Yellowstone is already open, and the same with Glacier.

I am leaning a bit towards route# 2 because I've never really seen much of the desert, and the great rock formations like in Utah. I'm sure I could spend quite a bit of time there. Also, I've heard that Idaho is very pretty throughout the state.

Regarding Missouri, Oklahoma, and Kansas; is there anything that I shouldn't miss in those states?

I have ordered the Butler Moto maps for Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and Idaho, so I'll start looking at roads as soon as they show up.

Until then, what are your votes? Route#1, or Route# 2?

Also, what areas to explore, or roads to ride on each route?

Thanks again?

My Virgin ADV Trip

therivermonster screwed with this post 04-23-2015 at 07:15 AM
Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #13
Scorpiobane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
My Vote!

I would say route 2.
There is not much to miss in the Southwest of Missouri. I would plan to put my time toward Utah. Take as many back roads as possible heading as West as possible across Arkansas, Oklahoma and Kansas. You might stop at Dodge City, KS. It would be touristy, but maybe interesting.
Pictures I have seen of the dual sport riding in Utah, though, suggest you have to go through there.
Enjoy the ride.
I am interested in how the KTM does. I have been reading things saying they require a bit of maintenance. I am curious to know if that is true, or if it is just normal maintenance.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
therivermonster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiobane View Post
I am interested in how the KTM does. I have been reading things saying they require a bit of maintenance. I am curious to know if that is true, or if it is just normal maintenance.
From my understanding (and I've done a fair amount of research), they don't necessary require more maintenance, but the maintenance does take more time. After all, they are over engineered European machines. Now, I come from the perspective of maintaining a DR650, which I can only assume is the easiest moto to maintain. The KTM 990 ADV requires more maintenance and effort in comparison, but you the performance is paid back in spades.

My Virgin ADV Trip

therivermonster screwed with this post 04-23-2015 at 07:16 AM
Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
Av8rPaul
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I wouldn't worry about reliability.

I also as mentioned would chose my route more on what the weather is doing and road conditions up in the high country. Colorado's mountains just got two feet of snow last week...
IBA #33
2015 R1200GS
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote