Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #136
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,302
You guys(gals) are doing great! I jacked up the pannier mounts on my DR on a trip,I fixed it the best I could and then wrapped a Rok strap all the way around the Pelican box and looped it through the upper luggage rack,this worked great and kept the loaded boxes from trying to sag and bounce when bouncing along rocky roads. Simple fix but worked for 9 days of back road abuse.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #137
Coots
That's what she said

Oddometer: 155
Wicked Right there with you!

Tom and Brady went to Gonzaga University together. Brady’s apartment has a bitchin view.
Brady “Bones’” view

I am so in on this one. A B'ham boy (where I grew up) and a Zags boy (where I am from) Go Zags...

Nice report can't wait to see just how far you go. Thanks for taking us along.
-Coots

03 DL1000 "Bumble Bee"
91 XT600
03 SV650S SOLD
Coots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #138
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Cool RR, thanks for sharing with us!!!

French vacation house for rent! Great riding area!

450 KTM exc
950 Adventure S
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #139
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,950
Hey Alex, great report. Rack plates look like they're working well! Have a great time and be safe, we'll be watching from here (still freezing dammit).

Steve

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #140
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Off Road again! This time not on purpose.

Mom and Dad, check your email.

I went off the road again yesterday. And I honestly can't tell you why. Because I don't know.

It happened around a curve in the road, less then 6 miles from our departure date yesterday, just south of Rosario, Baja California Mexico. I don't think I was going too fast, but I can't remember. I went off the road at an angle, and missed the curve entirely. I was probably going 50mph. Maybe a little faster, but most likely not slower.

I was riding last in line, but Sarah happened to be in front of me and by chance, saw it in her rear view mirror. She turned around to help me. Also by chance, Charlie's right hand mirror broke off just down the road. An American guy had just driven past Sarah, who waved him down, and he took off to catch Charlie and Tom who'd had luckily stopped at the side of the road to find Charlie's mirror. Tom and Charlie came back to meet up with Sarah and I.

Tom then went to get a truck for my bike. Tom asked the closest people he could find for help and found the local volunteer medics. No shit. They pulled out stethescopes, a neck brace, and ace bandages right there on the spot. My front wheel is f'ed, as is my rear wheel. My frame is slightly bent, but not too bad, and my forks are bent backwards just a little as well. I was wearing all of my gear. Helmet, Jacket, Pants, Boots and Gloves. The pants were zipped into my jacket to prevent them from separating in a crash. THe zipper held up perfectly. The truck took my bike an hour north to a town called San Cuintin where I am now. I was loaded onto a stretcher ( I was dazed but coherent the entire time) The stretcher and I were placed in a truck, and driven north, met by an ambulance, and I was then switched over and taken to the hospital. I had x-rays of my chest and right arm, and hips. Nothing in my body is damaged/broken. Only bruised. I had an ultrasound taken of my guts. Nothing wrong with them, no bleeding other then in the skin where my bruises were. Literally, I am perfectly fine. And apparently, I speak fluent spanish when I am dazed and semi-concious. Hahaha.

Tom and I bought insurance the day after we entered Mexico. My deductible is $500. I didn't need my deductible. The ambulance ride was $200. The hospital bill, for a night in the hospital (I left this afternoon), x-rays, an ultra sound, a Saline/Pain medication/Anti-inflamatory IV drip, and two meals was $290. To get my bike to the motorcycle shop where it is now was $250. My insurance covers only my health, and not the bike. So I won't be making a claim. My insurance company was contacted by Tom, very soon thereafter, and everything is ok. They contacted me via email, and because my cost of health care was below my deductible, everything is fine. No problems there.

I am buying new/used wheels from the motorcycle shop, they are going to straighten my forks, front axel, and frame, and I will be on the road again the day after tomorrow or the next day. Maybe more. The cost of brand new equipment from the States would exceed $1500. I will spend MUCH less this way.

Tom and Charlie and Sarah rode back to the hotel that we stayed at the day before last, and are headed south to Guerrero Negro in the morning. I will be traveling solo until I catch up with them. Don't worry, I won't haul ass. Just slow and steady.

All is well for now. Pictures to come tomorrow!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #141
Shellibean
Is my leg on fire?

Oddometer: 12
Slow and Steady wins the race...

Al, Please, oh please take it easy for now. Ride like an old lady (ok, that's me, but you get the picture) and let your body heal for a few days. Thank goodness Sarah saw you go down. I believe you owe her a beer.
Take it easy because we want to hear more reports soon.

<3 Aunt Shelli
Shellibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #142
no_clue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
come on guys, don't kill yourselves before I get there! Glad you're ok and TAKE IT EASY!!!

Andy

Help keep me on the bike and out of that office by clicking on the ads in my blog (if you see something you like)

2010 Yamaha Tenere XT660Z
2008 Yamaha WR250X
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #143
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,305
Stay safe, I signed up for a long ride report.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #144
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
hi alex, good to hear you're ok and able to find help to fix your bike.

you guys take it easy, still long ways to go.

whatever pain and hardship, continue on; do it while you have your chance. you guys are in the best situation to do this adventure. once you have a great job, house payments, and other obligations...going away is not that easy. your energy and not being creatures of comfort will get you going.

good luck to all.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #145
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Subscribed. Hope you heal quickly.
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #146
Maniac Mechanic
Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer: 40
Talking

I too subscribed for a long ride report. Glad everything seems okay. Any idea what happened or are you still trying to figure that out for yourself?
Either way I hope this is the last crash any of you have on this journey before the next several thousand fun filled and (not quite as) exciting miles .
Maniac Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #147
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Hang in there great report so far.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #148
zerocom
Brasil - MS

Oddometer: 4
Estou acompanhando sua Trip...
Boa Sorte e Boa Viagem !!!!

Abraços do Brasil !!!
zerocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #149
Biker's Mama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Rider's Mama

I love you Alex and I love all the people that helped you! Thank God. If you lost your St. Christopher's will you please get another one.
Biker's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #150
doktor dare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Great story!
I always think about few months off...you just do a my dream!
Go on!
doktor dare is offline   Reply With Quote