User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #1606
Chico
Thief and Saboteur

Oddometer: 719
Thumb

All great ideas. And even if you don't make a mint, what better way to network with other riders, immortalize your travels in hard(er)copy and share the love of the sport? And you know dealers have a lot to gain from you being their very best free-lance advertiser for adventure riding!

Everything I've read about trying to produce and publish books in this day and age would make it a labor of love rather than a money maker but hey, why not?
Chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1607
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I would bet that the Overland Expo folks would likely give you a place to stand up and tell your presentation at the coming Expo. By the way if you have not been to overland Expo, well... you really should grab your girl and head down there for it! It is amazing! Plus they have a huge Moto section, and you can even take out a BMW R1200GS for a couple hour guided ride off road for free. (from rawhyde)

Can;t really beat the fun that they have down there!

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #1608
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
Hey Big Al - My wife and I have followed your ride report and really enjoyed your story and how well it was written. It got us through another damp PNW winter. Although I skipped some of the posts since you returned I feel obligated to send you a message. In my non MC world I'm a business person so excuse me for always thinking of money making schemes, I can't help it. Have you thought of doing a presentation around Seattle on your travels? I know the ALTRider guys have set these up before and have had good attendance or maybe work something out with the Sound Rider group (I can make an introduction) to talk at the Dual Sport Rally this summer. I would think the shop you work at would be interested in having you speak. Have you looked at self publishing a book? Seriously, I think it would be better than about half the motorcycle travel books I've read. So between book sales, speaker fees and sponsorships you should be on your way to Africa in no time!
So there.... that's my $0.02 for what it's worth. < sign here
Hello amigo! Good to see that you enjoyed the ride report! In the "real" world, I too am business oriented, so you are excused. I have thought of giving a presentation around the Seattle area on the travels, but I haven't given it much thought. Can you believe that many of the guys, and I'm speaking of the majority, that work at Everett Powersports don't even know what ADVrider is? The thing is, things have become a lot more AWESOME in the past few years, and people don't even get it.

I get a bit of surprise from a few of the guys at work when they hear about my past 8 month adventure via motorcycle to ARGENTINA, but even the boss men didn't qualify it as a surefire sign of employment. As they see it, ANYONE can do what I did. And I see it the same way as well. I

You make a good point though, or seem to be on to it. People of the same type of disposition would likely be interested in hearing the tale of my adventures, but the guys that come in daily to most motorcycle shops, well, they don't seem to really give half a shit (on average). "Dude, why were you in Bolivia?" "Oh, well, I rode my motorcycle through there on my way from Seattle to Argentina." "Dude, you rode your bike from here to Argentina. That's cool. What it good? Awesome."

That being said, I think it would be a hell of a lot of fun to share my story in person or in the form of a presentation to a bunch of other like minded individuals. It would be quite the experience to say the least. I can even honestly say I am as ridiculous in person as I am on paper.

I have thought about converting the ride report into a book, but never seem to find the motivation for it when I am hanging out with friends and family. Although I have read through over half of the ride report and removed the photo tags, more work needs to be done though. MUCH MORE. Thanks for your vote of confidence on the quality though!

Maybe I should think harder about it... I suppose I will.

Your $0.02 is likely worth at LEAST $2.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #1609
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post

All great ideas. And even if you don't make a mint, what better way to network with other riders, immortalize your travels in hard(er)copy and share the love of the sport? And you know dealers have a lot to gain from you being their very best free-lance advertiser for adventure riding!

Everything I've read about trying to produce and publish books in this day and age would make it a labor of love rather than a money maker but hey, why not?
I've given thought so simply making the "book" a Microsoft Word document, or an Adobe PDF file, available for download. I'd like to incorporate some photos too, and maybe make a photo collage as well.

Dealers that specialize in or have Adventure type sales would benefit from my "qualities" but imagine a Harley shop, or a store that makes its money on Goldwing parts and sales. They may not need or even care about adventure motorcycling.

A labor of love would have me working my ass off, saving money for Africa/Europe. Somewhere I might find time for a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
I would bet that the Overland Expo folks would likely give you a place to stand up and tell your presentation at the coming Expo. By the way if you have not been to overland Expo, well... you really should grab your girl and head down there for it! It is amazing! Plus they have a huge Moto section, and you can even take out a BMW R1200GS for a couple hour guided ride off road for free. (from rawhyde)

Can;t really beat the fun that they have down there!
I've heard of the Overland Expo, but have never been. If I remember correctly, it is held in Arizona yes, a bit of a hike/ride for me to get down there.

I'll have to take a look into more of these types of activities. However, it'll likely be described and written about in a new thread somewhere along the line titled, "Alex and Kristi vs. The World" or "No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time Times Two"

We'll see....

--Alex
Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #1610
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Hey Al,
You are correct, average motorcycle riders don't really grasp the travelers mentality ... they may say they are not impressed with your trip ... but most would not have the Balls to even set foot out of the USA. This reflects our current national level of ignorance and our Fear based society, which is wide spread, IMO.

Massive xenophobia is spread though mass media outlets like Right Wing Talk Radio and other extreme outlets like Fox News. ADV Rider and reports like yours combat this ... but it reaches only a few. Our community is small.

Doing presentations or a book is great ... but you'll have to fight off the British, as they seem to dominate this (now not so new) Adventure Travel Market niche. There are a least a half dozen major figures out there already, traveling the circuit, mining hordes of Wanna-Be adv'ers, schlepping books, CD's, T shirts, posters, guided tours and on and on.

Just here on ADV (or more so Horizon's Unlimited) you can find many who are running businesses based on the Ted Simon model. My favorites are Austin Vince and Lois Pryce. Austin is a very funny guy and fun to hang out with.

You can't work at a bike shop forever ... and I'm guessing your wheels are turning, planning your next move. Making adventure travel pay is possible ... but it's a real job ... one I believe you may be well suited for.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 01:14 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #1611
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
subscribed... better late than never...
aviatorbdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #1612
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
OK, I just spent all of my free time during spring break reading your entire adventure. Wife has complained enough that i think I should have gone riding instead of reading all weekend!! Way to live...

You should go ahead and write the book. In fact get Tom to work with you and combine both stories into one book with pics, adventure stories, and travel advice for copycats. Make it a locked PDF, put it on a website, and sell copies of it cheap....maybe the $0.99 itunes standard to help pay for future adventures. I know I would probably buy one just to get you out riding again!

BTW: don't you think its time to start a new thread for the new rides?
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #1613
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
kindle edition

So the latest thing is people publishing e-books for the Kindle. I heard a story on NPR about a guy who made $30,000 from his e-book. That seems a lot easier than doing a paper copy, once you get the files in the right format you just do an upload, put a link in your sig file and that it!. Well I'm sure there must be more than that but hey, you have the hard part done.

Here's a link for Kindle self publishing:
https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #1614
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Check this out then...

http://www.overlandrally.com/Overlan...hops/Home.html

Southwest.html
They will be in Leavenworth WA July 26-29. They are a smaller event, but they put on their show in four locations every year all across the USA. Further they actually do a lot more in the way of going out on trails, where as the EXPO is more along the lines of a SEMA show for expedition/ adventure stuff.

Well the Overland Rally and Workshops do have places to show your wears (As I understand) and they also have speakers talking about their trips etc. You might check it out, who knows you might find your first venue.

Regards

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #1615
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 780
No job.....

What a great adventure and report. So sorry you got laid up in Colombia. My wife is from Medillin and we visited, there, the traffic was intense. Good move to take time to heal up. So glad you made it to Texas! Ride on and thanks for taking us along!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #1616
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hey Al,
You are correct, average motorcycle riders don't really grasp the travelers mentality ... they may say they are not impressed with your trip ... but most would not have the Balls to even set foot out of the USA. This reflects our current national level of ignorance and our Fear based society, which is wide spread, IMO.
Massive xenophobia is spread though mass media outlets like Right Wing Talk Radio and other extreme outlets like Fox News. ADV Rider and reports like yours combat this ... but it reaches only a few. Our community is small.
Doing presentations or a book is great ... but you'll have to fight off the British, as they seem to dominate this (now not so new) Adventure Travel Market niche. There are a least a half dozen major figures out there already, traveling the circuit, mining hordes of Wanna-Be adv'ers, schlepping books, CD's, T shirts, posters, guided tours and on and on.
Just here on ADV (or more so Horizon's Unlimited) you can find many who are running businesses based on the Ted Simon model. My favorites are Austin Vince and Lois Pryce. Austin is a very funny guy and fun to hang out with.
You can't work at a bike shop forever ... and I'm guessing your wheels are turning, planning your next move. Making adventure travel pay is possible ... but it's a real job ... one I believe you may be well suited for.
Hey there Grifter,

It's fun to see the reactions on the faces of the guys at work. Some will openly ask me about my trip, and some others seem to hide the questions. Can't be too interested can they?

The bike shop plan is temporary. I've got employment lined up with the old job that paid the bills (travel expenses) for this past endeavor. Kristi and I work together as a team, so 6 months work can turn itself into well over 15months of travel if we do it right, and that is living the lifestyle, not beggaring our way through. So that is the slated plan for now.

Thanks for the praise though. I won't know for sure what I'm up for until I've cruised through quite a few more countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatorbdm View Post
subscribed... better late than never...
I AGREE! Though there won't be many exciting things to read until the time comes when Kristi graduates, we work full time for 6 months (to start after this summer, as I haven't been home for a summer in 7 years), then leave. Where we'll go is uncertain, Kristi is rooting for Africa. I'm rooting for Europe. I think it may turn out to be a Euro moto tour with a 2-3 month stint in Africa with backpacks..... Sweeet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
OK, I just spent all of my free time during spring break reading your entire adventure. Wife has complained enough that i think I should have gone riding instead of reading all weekend!! Way to live...
You should go ahead and write the book. In fact get Tom to work with you and combine both stories into one book with pics, adventure stories, and travel advice for copycats. Make it a locked PDF, put it on a website, and sell copies of it cheap....maybe the $0.99 itunes standard to help pay for future adventures. I know I would probably buy one just to get you out riding again!
BTW: don't you think its time to start a new thread for the new rides?
HAHA. Thanks for spending the time to read my ride report dude! I've got to get excited enough to do something like this, and the excitement really tends to lend itself well to upgrading my bike (carb/exhaust/forks), and riding motos with my friend who just bought an '02 DRZ-400s. Sweeet. For now, you can expect that any new rides will be granted a new thread. This one is just lingering on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
So the latest thing is people publishing e-books for the Kindle. I heard a story on NPR about a guy who made $30,000 from his e-book. That seems a lot easier than doing a paper copy, once you get the files in the right format you just do an upload, put a link in your sig file and that it!. Well I'm sure there must be more than that but hey, you have the hard part done.
Here's a link for Kindle self publishing:
https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
Thanks for the link man. I'll be taking a look at that in the near future. I don't think I ever really planned to make a paper copy of a book, unless I was thinking about gifts to family members and friends. More of a picture book really. People like pictures right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
Check this out then...
http://www.overlandrally.com/Overlan...hops/Home.html
They will be in Leavenworth WA July 26-29. They are a smaller event, but they put on their show in four locations every year all across the USA. Further they actually do a lot more in the way of going out on trails, where as the EXPO is more along the lines of a SEMA show for expedition/ adventure stuff.
Well the Overland Rally and Workshops do have places to show your wears (As I understand) and they also have speakers talking about their trips etc. You might check it out, who knows you might find your first venue.
Regards
I hadn't heard of the Overland Rally to be held in Leavenworth. That would definitely be worth the trip over the mountains to see! I'll have to keep an eye out for it, and try to remember to make it over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
What a great adventure and report. So sorry you got laid up in Colombia. My wife is from Medillin and we visited, there, the traffic was intense. Good move to take time to heal up. So glad you made it to Texas! Ride on and thanks for taking us along!
Hey man!

Thanks for reading the report! Colombia was good to me in the long run, and though I do now have a plate and a multitude of screws in my leg, I can still go for a run and it doesn't bother me at all. I call it a success! Texas was good to me too, and I had a great time in Big Bend National Park, another great success! I've even converted D-Rail from his KLR to a bitchin DR650. Thanks again amigo!

--Alex
Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #1617
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,417
Hey Al if you have any questions about self-publishing give me a holler, I've been doing it for close to a year now and make about $1,000-1,400/month. (there's also an ADV thread about it in my link) Picture books are easy enough to do and the major sites (Amazon and Barnes & Noble) pay each month (others pay quarterly). It can get you decent on-the-road money with next to no overhead, or help build up some capital toward a future trip.

PM me if you have questions, or visit the Inmates thread. I plan to write on the road someday but for now am paying down bills and college loans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #1618
D-RAIL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
, and I had a great time in Big Bend National Park, another great success! I've even converted D-Rail from his KLR to a bitchin DR650. Thanks again amigo!

--Alex

Thank you Amigo! ,and what a bitchin DR it is now with FCR-MX carb ,& GIXXER exhaust! with suspension upgrades in the works.
D-RAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #1619
Erod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Great post. I love the trailer you tow with the bike. Do you have any input on the trailer. I am looking at a trip to Alaska with the wife, two up on our KLR 650. If you come to the Overland Expo here in Az your welcome to stay at my place.

Thanks,
Erod
Erod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #1620
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,022
yo BigAL no trip posts in a long time, what happened...ya sadly got a job and responsibilities like the rest of us schmucks...