User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #151
cmreimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Interestin read

Sounds like you guys are in alittle over your head.... and it's only day10?!
Adventure riders like to ride dirt roads, but you may consider slowing down and sticking to pavement. Dirt for you = danger!! Good luck... you are going to need it if you expect to complete your journey!

'09 950 SE
'12 500 EXC
'13 690 Enduro
cmreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #152
triumph406
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
You guys are taking the trip I wish I had done 25 years ago when I was your age, Good luck!! Stay safe!
triumph406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #153
triumph406
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmreimer View Post
Sounds like you guys are in alittle over your head.... and it's only day10?!
Adventure riders like to ride dirt roads, but you may consider slowing down and sticking to pavement. Dirt for you = danger!! Good luck... you are going to need it if you expect to complete your journey!
They're doing OK!, just learning the way we all did.
triumph406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #154
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,335
Seems kinda silly to say that somebody is in over their head when we have no idea what happened. Am sure more than one racecar driver has rear-ended somebody at a stoplight. Accidents happen.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #155
BikerzL8E
Al's Women

Oddometer: 16
Enjoy the ride, but be safe!

I love you Alex and I am glad to hear that you are okay and that you had a lot of people there to help you out. I would like to come down to see you this summer, but with the rate you're going I don't know if you will last another week. Please be a bit more safe and cautious while riding.
BikerzL8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #156
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerzL8E View Post
I love you Alex and I am glad to hear that you are okay and that you had a lot of people there to help you out. I would like to come down to see you this summer, but with the rate you're going I don't know if you will last another week. Please be a bit more safe and cautious while riding.

And the better 1/2 speaks up?!?!

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #157
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Update

Footprint, that is indeed the better half that spoke up.

Here we go!

Since the last time you heard from me, I had just cracked my right side pannier frame. It wasn’t bad, and I soon had it fixed the next day. It was easy, fast, and cost me $25. Not bad for over an hour’s worth of work. Check out the patch job.

And the other side

Charlie said, “I reckon that will be the best stack of the entire trip.” I say, “FALSE!!!”
Well, as I just said. I had my pannier frame fixed the next day. It was a nice job, and we were able to leave that afternoon around 1pm. It was a nice easy day. Not too far to go, the direction of course, South.
Well, that was the way of things for the first couple of hours. And as we moved along, we saw a few things. Like cacti, and large rocks, and lots of sand.
Check out the sand.

And check out the Cacti.

And rocks and cacti at the same time. Remember the rocks…

We stopped at a boulder field to take a few photos. Here we are in front of a big ass cactus.

Shortly thereafter, as we’d been on the road for about 70 miles, it was time to get gas, because we didn’t know when the next gas station would be. There were to be no “REAL” gas stations from Rosario, south to Guerrero Negro. About 220 miles. Tom and I can’t make it that far comfortably on one tank of gas. Sarah definitely can, and Charlie would be pushing it. Tom and I get about 42 mph when we ride at 65 mph, a little more when we go slower. We have 5 gallon tanks. Charlie’s fuel economy is near the same but with a 6 gallon tank. Sarah has a 4 gallon tank and can ride nearly 280+ miles. Chalk one up for the XT225. Better gas mileage for sure.
We bought gas out of 5 gallon gas cans, and it was quite the experience, and sure to be repeated. Then we stopped for some food and ate some tacos. Lots of tacos here in Baja, and they are damn good. We eat them all the time, and I’ve eaten a taco or five every day since I’ve been south of the border. Well that was about the time that everything went SOUTH.
It was 6 miles after our gas stop (I checked my odometer because I don’t actually remember), that I left the road. This time unintentionally, and for a reason that I can’t remember. The only thing I can remember just before the crash is “I’m not going to make this corner.” At which point I grabbed the clutch, dropped a gear, and slammed the throttle. Why? Because we were just south of that boulder field I mentioned, and the side of the road… Why, it was full of motorcycle size rocks. And there was one of them directly in front of me. And I didn’t want to hit it head on. I got the front wheel off the ground, and that is the last thing I remember untilllllll…
I woke up on the ground.

And then a nice young lady gave me a neck brace.

But, I was ok. If only bruised a bit. It hurt to lie down, and to sit up. I hurt, my ribs hurt, the right side of my butt hurt, and my elbow hurt.

Then they loaded me up!

And herded me into a pig truck.

I was hauled off to the hospital, where they gave me an x-ray, and an ultra sound, and an IV full of saline solution, anti inflammatory, and a minor pain killer. Then they put me to bed. Tom would come to see me in the morning. After a look at my helmet, it would seem that I took a little wack to the head, but I’m not sure.

My doctor, even though I was still a little out of it, tried to show me an x-ray of my chest and tell me that I had a tumor, that hung from a necklace and was perfectly round…. My Saint Christopher pendant given to me by my Mom before I left.

The lovely bed that I slept in and was woken up in every 4 hours to be given a new IV bag.

I’m feeling better now after a good night’s sleep, in a bed that wasn’t long enough for my 6’6” frame.

Apparently my hand took a good wack too, as my ring was squished into an oval, instead of a circle. I still can’t take it off, and I’ve already tried to form it back into a circle with a pair of vice grips. I’ll have to try again soon.

About noon the day after I spent the night in the hospital, I caught a ride to San Quintin, where Tom had had my bike transported at the advice of the owner of the hotel we stayed at in Rosario. Her name was Donna Betty.
After we arrived at my new home for the night, The Three Kings hotel, I hoped on the back of Tom’s bike, and Sarah on the back of Charlie’s and we headed to El Cliente. The home of some awesome fish and shrimp tacos. And yes, it’s some sort of whale skeleton hanging over the top of the restaurant sign.

We ordered some fish and shrimp tacos, and had 2 of each of them each, along with 4 coke’s, for 200 pesos. Less than 18 dollars, and I covered the tab. The least I could do for the guys that took care of my affairs when I didn’t know what the hell was going on.

The tacos were freaking awesome by the way.

Ahhh, I get to see my bike finally. My wheels are F’ED!!! First the front wheel.

And my rear wheel

And the place that promised that they could fix my motorcycle. Tato’s Motorcycles.

I was inclined to believe the man, Tato, when he told me he could fix it. He had quite the pileup of motorcycles in the back. Hopefully a 21” and 17” wheel? Success!!!

Watching the whole episode were the boys of the shop, who could all ride wheelies. On anything.

My tubes were creased, but not too bad. Only a very small hole in the rear tube. No problem. Easy enough to patch.

The kids around the shop liked to throw rocks at the hornet’s nest. Literally. I only got stung once. And it was because I couldn’t run as fast as the rest of them after my minor accident slowed me down. Dammit.

And witness the Mexican version of Captain America.

And the 1970’s era BMW R75/? Tato bought it off the road cleaning crew who had received it for free when a German guy touring baja 7 months ago flew off the road just like me. The German guy however, broke his leg, and both arms, and a few ribs, and a collarbone. He gave his bike away and flew home. Tato bought it for $700 off the road crew, and it was on the road soon after. He can’t obtain an original title for it, but he can get one in Mexico. Good for him! Too bad for the German guy. Ugh.

Meet the nice 3 legged dog that got hit by a car. She was very friendly.

And of course, Tato, the mechanic, owner, and business man.

And, my bruises. A bit of swelling in my right arm, and a bit in my rear lower right back.

And more in my front right hip.

And now, I’m waiting in my hotel room. I should have my bike on the road in the next few days, and I’ll be able to catch up to Tom and Sarah and Charlie. Sore, yes, tired, of course, and bruised, but ok. Much better than my motorcycle, that’s for sure.
See you from the road soon!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #158
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
And the why I flew off the road plus what happened.

Often times, it takes time to remember things. Here is what I now know happened.

I hadn't drunk any alcohol for the past 20 hours, and before that, 2 beers.
I wasn't going too fast.

My motorcycle's rear tire slid out on sand in the road.

The slip of the motorcycle took me wide in the corner.

I realized instantly that I would not make the turn.

So I straightened the motorcycle. And I saw the terrain in front of me. Lots of big car sized boulders. Remember the rocks...No bueno.

I dropped a gear, and smashed the throttle, leaned back, raised the front wheel of the bike off the ground, cleared the first large rock and let go of the bike. I aimed for clear "soft" ground and found it well. I cleared the next rock before landing on the ground. My bike did not. My bike was the least of my worries. It will be ok eventually.

I AM OK.

I was coherent, and not tired. I was not in a hurry, and wasn't going too fast. I was paying attention. Both eyes on the road. It saved me from what could have been a worse incident. Instead, it was relatively minor. Considering I rode off the road.

Until next time. Next photos will be of a fixed bike. If I'm lucky, in about 2-3 weeks!

--Alex

bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #159
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerzL8E View Post
I am not sure if you just got confused by looking into the mirror or if you just can't remember what is left and what is right. So you should know that your bruises on your arm, back, and hip are actually on your left side.

He's standing in front of a mirror and the picture is a reversed image.
indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #160
truckguy
awesomeness!

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout View Post
He's standing in front of a mirror and the picture is a reversed image.
shes right no matter how you look at it

Motorcycling is the pursuit of life through motion, sometimes at speed, during which the sum total of one’s existence is defined in the conflict between centrifugal force and gravity.
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #161
BikerzL8E
Al's Women

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckguy View Post
Thanks Truckguy. I had nuked my message (before I realized people saw it) because when I glanced back at the pictures I thought I was wrong and didn't want to confuse him.
BikerzL8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #162
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckguy View Post

"I'm a man and I can change......if I have to....I guess" Red Green

indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #163
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post

And more in my front right hip.

That will buff right out....

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #164
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,774
Holy Yipes!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a even more casual pace once your back on the road! When I was riding around in Baja we ran into more then a few riders who had just*went off the road* A lot of the hiway there goes real straight for a long time,then all at once theres a corner,sometimes the concentration wanders and off you go.............

I think the cows,donkeys,bulls,dogs,horses caught my attention more then most road hazards,for the most part theres no fences in Baja to keep livestock in so they tend to wander.

Night riding is of course about the worst idea down that way.

I hope your back on the road as quick as possible,the mechanic is building wheels from bits and pieces? Swingarm/frame is straight?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #165
GoMotor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
I didn't need my deductible. The ambulance ride was $200. ...... To get my bike to the motorcycle shop where it is now was $250.............
--Alex
How come an injured man riding in an ambulance with medics cost $200 and a bent up motorcycle in an old pickup cost $250? That is not right.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote