User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #211
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Estamos en Loreto, BC, Mexico

I found Tom and Charlie on the side of the road in Loreto, eating tacos. Well, that was handy, I was hungry too. Yum!

Where is Sarah? Lost eh? Well that sucks. Back on the road. We spent 3 hours riding, looking for her, rode about 250km's, and found her back in Loreto. Success.

We stayed the night last night and are staying the night again. The bike is in good condition, and it would seem that the problems that existed weren't as bad as I had assumed. We'll see how long my forks last though.

My rear shock must have taken a good whack as well, because my bike sits lower now. But, 500 miles later, and all is still well.

Thanks for all the good advice, both positive and less then positive comments, and all of the good thoughts and wishes.

You guys rock!

Onward!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #212
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
You're kidding about losing the girl that's traveling with you, right? This is reading like my first ADV ride. haha. Get it together guys!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #213
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Honestly, I don't like being a wet blanket, but for a group of Americans (I think all of you are?), it isn't a good idea to get split up.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #214
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Losing the girl,

Sarah is traveling independently, aside from Tom and I. Charlie is also traveling independently. Currently we happened to meet and are all rolling through Baja together. So far so good. Each of us is responsible for themselves. The strongest tie is between Tom and I, as we embarked on this journey together, and plan to complete it together.

Tom and I, as well as Sarah, are American. I hold a Canadian Passport as well. Charlie is Australian.

Sarah followed protocol. Alone, she found a hotel. Posted her location online. We checked the web. Found her. No problem.

We're all independent capable adventurers who enjoy traveling in a group.

As an Update.

Loreto is full of retired Americans in rental cars. Loud Mexican stereo advertisement systems, and 4 wheelers that act as modes of transportation. Everything is overpriced, and Charlie picked up a flat tire from a thorn.

La Paz, BC is the destination of tomorrow or the next day.

As for Ushuaia being an Arctic climate during the southern hemispheres winter. That is quite clear to us. Having lived and worked in Fairbanks this Jan/Feb, we know what it's like to be outside in -25 degree weather.

However, June, July, August, and September will all be long passed before we hit the Southern destinations. We're in it for the long haul. It'll be spring/summer before we roll down to Ushuaia. 9 months DOWN. We don't know about coming back yet

Thanks for following our story so far. More to come sooner then later if I have my way!

--Alex
Old 04-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #215
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
jesusgatos wrote:
Quote:
You're kidding about losing the girl that's traveling with you, right?
If you read her Blog, she has LOTS of travel experience... Call her the guide for the group! (guys, follow the lady!)

xcgates wrote:
Quote:
but for a group of Americans
Charlie is from down under! (Australia)

Rides getting together again! Ride safe, Post often! (please!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #216
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Bigalsmith101 wrote:
Quote:
As for Ushuaia being an Arctic climate during the southern hemispheres winter. That is quite clear to us. Having lived and worked in Fairbanks this Jan/Feb, we know what it's like to be outside in -25 degree weather.
Just checking! what's obvious to one is not obvious to all!

Sounds like your melon is working, but will still take time to bounce back from a good whack like that...share the load...shiny side up, throttle on, live the dream!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #217
c5babe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Hey guys--please try not to do too much damage to yourselves too soon. I'm liking this ride report and don't want it to come to a too quick ending.

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #218
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Picture identification please...

Ahhh, San Quintin, oh how I don't miss you. I spent $28/night for a decent/clean room with Hot water and 80+ tv channels (mostly in Spanish)

Here was my home for 4 days.

And where I ate my food. Closest place, no long walking involved.

So, remember those damn kids, throwing rocks at the bees? Well, Tato, the motorcycle mechanic claims ownership of the bees. And collects the honey as well!!

And all the kids, along with Tato, picked up previously powerwashed bees (still alive), and purposefully place the hornets stinger into the backs of their hands. As many as 10 in a row. All in the name of bee sting immunity, and easier/less painful honey snatching.

JESOOS CHRISTO. All of their hands are swollen.

On a side note. Doctor visit X-Rays. All is well minus serious, non painful bruising, and minor swelling.

4 days, and my bike was fixed!!!

Oh, right, my permanently guaranteed for life pelican case is f'ed....

Tato and the guys that fixed my bike.

It's back on the road for me! Awesome.

Ride till dusk. Pull over, Sleep. Easy,

Nice sunset over Baja, Mexico.

Pull out emergency stash of Tuna, and eat with Pepsi. Lay out sleeping pad. Dinner. Bed. Booyah.

Wake up with the sun rise, and realize you can get 5.5 hours riding in before the others will even think of riding? Priceless.

Haul ass all day and finally arrive in Loreto. Smell the garbage dump just outside of town first, notice the hundred+ vultures second, see the dump at last.

As you guys all know, were in Loreto. The town is nice enough. But were on our way south tomorrow morning, Monday the 18th of April. Last minute things are past, Charlie patched his thorn studded front tire, and we're ready to roll.

Onward everyone!

--Alex
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #219
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post

--Alex

Hey, that dude is an ADV member!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #220
troutshack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Enjoying your RR and great pics. Keep em comming. I always wondered if Pelican cases were as tough as advertised. Now I know. Safe journeys
troutshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #221
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Cool man good to see you're rollin'

I think it might be worth sending an email with photos to Pelican, They may say no to replacement because you drilled the case and crashed yourself into a rock But worth a shot anyway.

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #222
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutshack View Post
Enjoying your RR and great pics. Keep em comming. I always wondered if Pelican cases were as tough as advertised. Now I know. Safe journeys

soft luggage is the way to go.

this type of thing happens to all of them.

look on countless threads on here and RR's. also the possibility to break your ankle/leg on hard luggage.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #223
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
soft luggage is the way to go.

! ! !

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #224
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I am enjoying this thread. I've been away from ADV for about a year, keeping my head down and working in preparation for my next big ride.

When i crashed in El Salvador, due to my own stupidity, i didn't post it in my thread. My family was reading it, and i knew the dogpile would be ferocious.

It happens. Hopefully that will be your last get off on this trip. I echo what others have said, allow the difference in South-of-the-border pace to seep in. I rarely exceeded 50 in Mexico. Not that I was asked my opinion, but if I were, I'd say "You're not doing this on an R1, so why go Ricky Racer in the Outback?" Recall the lessons of Ozymandias and others, and let the bace drop, take in everything, and drive with the light. Night time is for food and drink, but not riding.

All the best, and hopefully many more good times to come.

EDIT: I must be doing it wrong. On my last trip, I had 15,000 miles of mixed dual sport in gnarly conditions, I didn't break my leg or Pelican cases even once. Soft bags do make it easier to get into tight hotel room doorways, however. I don't see the loss of security [security that you get with hard bags, plus water-tightness] to be worth the benefits of soft bags. Each type has pros and cons; each to their own.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien

bouldergeek screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 03:37 PM
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #225
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
! ! !

^^^^^^ totally unbiased opinion there!

But yeah, soft bags for me from now on. Dave's got too much class to pimp his gear, but I don't! THe Giant loop stuff has taken every crash I've thrown at it, and there have been A LOT
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote