Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #241
zazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I'd have to throuhly disagree with the above statement. In western Wa. last year ,by myself, I passed a road to the left that I should have turned into. I pulled off the road to the right into a wide gravel entranceway.
And the next thing I knew I was face down and my right foot was pinned under the right box.
I pulled ,once,twice and again and got nothing. I was about to call out for help which would have been useless,there was no one around.
Then I decided if I can't pull it out ,try to push toward the bike and that worked. Took over six months for the heel pain to stop.

Under all this is not good for the foot.
ooooch.... i have reoccuring nightmares about coming round a blind bend and seeing that very same stretch of gravel.
zazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #242
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I'd have to throuhly disagree with the above statement. In western Wa. last year ,by myself, I passed a road to the left that I should have turned into. I pulled off the road to the right into a wide gravel entranceway.
And the next thing I knew I was face down and my right foot was pinned under the right box.
I pulled ,once,twice and again and got nothing. I was about to call out for help which would have been useless,there was no one around.
Then I decided if I can't pull it out ,try to push toward the bike and that worked. Took over six months for the heel pain to stop.

Under all this is not good for the foot.
I feel bad that you wiped your self out or did a face plant in the gravel. Do you think that the outcome would of been better with out the box ? I don't want to hijack the thread defending a box or asking how your leg became trapped under the box in the first place.

In this picture it looks like the box might have saved you from having the entire weight of the bike on your leg, but I didn't wipe out and can't comment on your riding experience or ability, or on the situation you put your self in. Looks like a little to much front brake if you went over that fast.

I am glad your Ok now though :)

manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #243
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon View Post
I feel bad that you wiped your self out or did a face plant in the gravel. Do you think that the outcome would of been better with out the box ? I don't want to hijack the thread defending a box or asking how your leg became trapped under the box in the first place.

In this picture it looks like the box might have saved you from having the entire weight of the bike on your leg, but I didn't wipe out and can't comment on your riding experience or ability, or on the situation you put your self in. Looks like a little to much front brake if you went over that fast.

I am glad your Ok now though :)

Yeah, I'd agree that it probably too much front brake. That's all I could come up with. It's just a flat expanse of smooth gravel.

The next day I started the Magruder Corridor.

And the next day popped out in Darby.

The thing is in the first pic, most of the weight was on my foot. When I got out from underneath it I had seriuos doubts about doing the Magruder or going looking for the Klienshmidt Grade in Hell's Canyon a couple of days later.

Hard luggage can break bones. That's a fact.

I was lucky. Again.

And now back to this wonderful Ride Report.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 12:41 PM
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #244
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
BigAL - a must read, see link below

Hello Again BigAl and company,

sounds like all is going well for you again and the bike is holding up...that's great news !!

continue to enjoy your fantastic trip and when you find a little down time check out this thread....really, really, really important that you read it please. It's a zillion pages long but you must read to page 14 before quiting, it goes quickly, is exciting, compelling and a whole bunch of other emotions. would be interested in your comments when you get to p14. Ask you riding mates to check it out also - there is a precious gift waiting for all who read it.

take care and have FUN! we are thinking about you - tim

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505
Old 04-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #245
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I read the first 30+ pages last yesr during my research. His story hasn't been forgotten.
bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #246
zazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
... sobering.
zazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #247
northtrekker
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hey Alex;
I'm really enjoying your ride report. You've overcome some unexpected obstacles got back on track and kept your sense of humor. I'm looking forward to future updates.
I hope you're having a blast.
Carl

The only thing standing between you and your dream is you.... And store security.
northtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #248
hardroadking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
"I read the first 30+ pages last yesr during my research. His story hasn't been forgotten."

That's great news, not sure if you also read his short book. If you're interested, it's right here. I'm off my soapbox now. take care, ride safe, have fun!

http://www.2arms1head.com/
Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #249
Crazylegs Bob
Tiger Tamer

Oddometer: 109
This ride report kicks some serious butt! As someone who has survived a head on collision with a pick up truck and is still here to talk about it, I find this read brings back a lot of memories and emotions. During the last three and a half years since my accident, I have dealt with chronic pain, soul searching that has changed my values and priorities and learning to cope with my new disabilities. There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God that I have this second chance even if it is with limitations. The fact is that no matter who's at "fault", life is full of lessons and experiences and how we deal with these is what shapes our character. This is why you guys are on this journey to begin with! You're young and brave enough to explore what the world has to offer which is more than what can be said for most as we are spoon fed our "reality tv" culture. Just remember, an intelligent person will learn from their mistakes but a wise person will learn from others mistakes. May your adventure bring you all that you are looking for and develop your characters in ways that you never imagined! It looks like class has already started and don't worry..... you got top grades, the first semester, in my books! Godspeed my friends!
Crazylegs Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #250
44Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Note to self: do not tell family where to find ride report.
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #251
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

The Days of Alliteration. Loreto to La Paz to La Ventana

Days 16-19

The last destination showed Charlie patching his front tire tube. Since then we have ridden from Loreto, arrived in La Paz, and continued on to La Ventana, a wind swept beach 47km south of La Paz. Our new location is 330 pesos between 4 of us, and we brought a bicycling amigo (from San Fran, riding to Arg) we met while in La Paz. He hope done the back of Charlie’s bike, Sarah and Tom carried his minimal gear, and we’re all hanging out on the beach right now.

As we left Loreto, all was well with the world. The sun was shining, we were all overheating, and there was roughly 240 miles of Baja roads between us and La Paz. We all cruised along quite nicely, enjoying the oven like desert, and cursing the heat. I rode behind with Sarah as Tom surged ahead with Charlie. We made it 30 miles down the road before….

Tom was lucky enough to have his clutch cable break off just before the clutch lever, rendering it useless, and stranding him on a desolate but convenient road side turn out. Since my crash, my Sena SMH10 bluetooth comm setup has been out of commission, it’s mouting tab is broken. I’ll fix it soon, but currently we rely on hand signals. It’s been good.

As Sarah and I rode by, Tom gave me the, “I NEED YOU” hand singnal, which consisted of a semi frantic direct finger point in my direction, and another at his bike. He said with no words, “I need my mechanic, NOW.”

Sarah and I stopped, and between the three of us, sent Sarah ahead to meet up with Charlie while I stuck it out with Tom. Easy.

Our solution didn’t present itself instantly, but was decided upon and implemented inside of an hour. We carry a 6’ length of steel wire braided cable and some cable stops, and presto, we make it work. Mostly. Here it is.

And the other side.

Tom made it 210 more miles to La Paz on the same repair, and we had a clutch cable made for him the day after we arrive. No problemo.

We changed our oil in La Paz. 2800 miles showed on the odometer for Tom and I. A little less for Sarah, and even less for Charlie. Oil was 40 pesos for a quart of 20w50, and Tom and I bought 5 quarts between us. 20w50 should serve us well until our next oil change 3000ish miles from now.

We found our way to the Pension California when we arrived in La Paz. The owner was care free, easy going, and let us park our motorcycles inside the inner court yard, and the day we left, he even let us change our oil as mentioned above, and volunteered to take our used oil and recycle it. Most excellent. 4 queen sized beds and a prívate bathroom to share between us was 400 pesos for the group.

Then it was people meeting time. This week is Semana Santa (Saint Week) and it is the local holiday week for all of Mexico. It also serves as Spring Break for most, if nota ll schools. La Paz serves as a holiday destination for these students and holiday travelers. So, here are all the foreign Exchange students who also found a home in Pension California.

These kids all started early in the night, and finished early in the morning. They were going crazy.

But I was hungry too, so I showed them the best damn burrito stand in all of La Paz, and quite possibly in all of Baja California. Meet the “Burro” man!

Mid report interuption for ass bruising update

Well, La Paz was fun, and we met some cool people, and we saw the streets, and we bought some oil at the Wal Mart, and changed our oil, and ate some burritos. BUT the beach of La Ventana, 47km south, was calling out our names. So after 3 nights spent at the Pension California we headed out of La Paz, destination La Ventana.

We had a tag-a-long as well. A 32 year old ex landscaping guru from San Diego who is riding his bicycle from San Francisco to Argentina. He stashed some things at the hostel in La Paz, and we packed his other things on our bikes, tossed him on Charlies bike, and headed south. Meet Eric!

Well La Ventana was easy to find, and white english speaking people are in abundance. This place is meant to be one of the best places in the world to Kite Surf. Soooo, hundreds of gringos flock here for 3-6 months a year and do just that. A local business owner (kite surfing fiend) rented us the room in the back of his business for 330pesos/night. A King sized bed that Tom and I split, a single bed that Charlie sleeps on, a huge couch that Sarah claims, and a mattress on the floor that Eric calls home. Can’t beat the price.

We parked our bikes in his old retrofitted shrimp factory of a home, and called it a day.

Did I mention we now live on a beach front property?

Well, we were getting hungry by then, so we crossed the street to the local restaurant, andCharlie met the infamous Chaz!

He invited us to his home away from home. A toy hauling tráiler parked behind his friends magnificent home, ½ a mile from where we were staying.

He offered us Margaritas, and cranked up his 10’ 1080P High definition projector, and we played Grand Tourismo 5 in technicolor with polk monitors blasting hi-rev sounds all night long. It was intense! For the record. I beat Tom in a 4 lap, 12 minute Snow Cross/Rally Race by 2/100ths of a second. He’ll be glad that you know this. Trust me.

It was a good time for everyone, and Chaz was quite the host.

After all was said and done, we walked back to our beds, and promptly fell asleep at 1am. The moon over the bay looked like this after all of our technicolor racing. It was a good day!

Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #252
Biker's Mama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Rider's Mama

Awesome!!!!
Biker's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #253
akula802
Oil Whisperer

Oddometer: 105
In

Sounds like a badass trip so far, guys. I'm in. Sucks about the wipeouts, but hey. Shit happens. You're still breathing. And by the looks of it, having a blast on the beach!

I've got a year or so before I can start "my ride." Also recently graduated, slaving in the oilfields for now and saving cash. Your dream is helping to keep mine alive.

Cheers!

Betting the world on a pair of fives
akula802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #254
Zen Overland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Cracking stuff, long may it continue

Good for you Al, sounds like you're doing just fine.

I met Alex a year or more ago, when I was approaching the end of my RTW trip, and he treated me with nothing but kindness and generosity.
Alex I owe you one big time.

Everyone's got their opinions on how you should and shouldn't do your trip, or the optimum rigidity of your luggage, but just go for it and find your own way.

Sounds like you were lucky and got off pretty lightly with the bike spills, but hopefully you've got the dramas out of the way early and will have a fantastic time for the rest of the trip.

Keep up the good work

MEFO tyres - Andy Strapz - Rigid Industries LED - Black Dog Cycle Works - Kriega
Zen Overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #255
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Chaz Michael Michaels!

Day 20.

Chaz Michael Michaels!

After the night before, having been introduced to Chaz, he offered to take us all to a resort called Bahia de los Suenos (Bay of Dreams) to have a look around, and to see some things that aren’t part of our normal daily life. Well, the night before, all of us thought that would be cool, and told him so.

Well, the next day at 1pm when Chaz showed up in his 2011 Toyota Tundra pickup truck to take us all to this place, only Tom and I were around to go. Charlie was swimming somewhere down the beach, and Eric and Sarah were on a walk. Chaz left and came back 30 minutes later, but we still couldn’t find the others, and thus Tom and I witnessed the splendor of this resort first hand and had a private tour of the place from one of Chaz’s numerous contacts within the La Ventana area.

We arrived to Valet parking and hopped into a 6 seat golf cart for a cruise into the resort.

These kinds of places are foreign to Tom and I, but Chaz new the deal. Keep on talking, enjoy the ride, and let everyone else do their Job.

Well, let’s have a seat at the poolside table, and enjoy some free cocktails courtesy of Chaz’s friend the waiter. Sounds nice, thank you.

Let’s take a dip in the pool. Sounds nice, thank you.

What’s that Chaz? We should check out the beach while you hang out with a prospective lady friend? Yes, we’ll do that. Sounds nice, thank you.

After swimming, let’s hop back in the swimming pool to rinse off. Sounds nice, thank you.

Oh hey Chaz. You’re back, what’s that you say? Private tour? Sounds nice, thank you.

Private golf course, all 18 holes.

Wedding Chapel for those so inclined.

Horse corral for one show a year.

Private guest house for the ultra posh lifestyle. Circular bricked domed ceiling.

Infinity pool for fun.

Posh dining area.

Exit onto the Veranda. This place was unbelievable.

Ahhhh, back to the beach. Time to relax again. Hammock time.

Back to the main resort restaurant for dinner. Tortilla Soup please. Thank you. The main place had a huge 3 level train set all the way around the circumference of the entire upper floor. It was pretty incredible, and according to the waiter took 2 years to complete at the tune of over $1million. The intricacy of the ordeal was outrageous.

The trains themselves .

We arrived at the resort at nearly 2pm, and didn’t leave until about 9:30. It was a great time to be had. Chaz was a great host, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks Chaz!

We spent a couple more hours shooting the shit with the locals while listening to their rampant music, blasting their music from vehicle subwoofers, all four doors open.

The moon rise was incredible.