Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #331
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Not to get off-topic, because I do really enjoy this ride report, but I have the Coyote, how do you feel the Great Basin fits "dirt bikes", more specifically, XR's DR's, and my XRR?

Just looking for solutions to a possible C.A trip for myself.

Thanks,
Q
Use mine on a XR650 and it's perfect. Lots of guys around here use it on 650's and numerous other rides. You can use it on just about anything really. It fits my Wee Strom perfect as well.

Great report by the way. Just read the whole report this morning and am subscribed.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #332
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Looks amazing, I can't wait to get out there myself!

Quote:
...these particular ones were formed 5 million years ago when meteors struck the earth, the biggest of which created the Yucatan Peninsula itself.
For the record, cenotes are in no way even remotely formed by meteors. There's a high density of them around the edge of the famous Chicxulub crater, the one that created the Yucatan Penninsula and possibly wiped out he dinosaurs, but that association is just indicative of an ancient oceanic basin where there is now land. Cenotes are formed when groundwater (which is naturally acidic in many regions) flows through limestone, eating away at it until massive caves and cave systems are formed.

There, that's your hydrogeology lesson for the day! Sorry, it's my profession, so I can't just let it slip by!

Enjoy Belize and the rest of your trip!
Sarah
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #333
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Hola chica.

Sara, you're on top of your game still I see! Putting me in line from 2000k away.

If you're still in Oaxaca, I hope you ride off to Hierva el Aqua on your bike. It's a fun ride, up and over a mountain off road a bit. Just follow the signs once you get to Mitla. It's worth it.

Check out Tulum if you feel like being this far into the Yucatan. I sent you a P.M.

Good work on your bike by the way.

Keep it real!

Thanks to all the others for following along. We're in Chetumal now, again, and heading to Belice (Bay-Lee-Say, aka. Belize) tomorrow. Checking out our paperwork, and headed South again. We don't know where we will end up tomorrow, but will likely be in the country for a week, if not less. Honduras is on our radar to find my dive instructor, honda africa twin riding, England born, motorcycle adventuring friend Oliver, but we can't pass up Guatemala on the way down either.

More to come soon.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #334
OcoeeG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Coming to Colombia?

Hey fellas!!! Haven't read the whole post yet but I am liking what I have read so far.

Not sure your exact route into South America but I live in Medellin, Colombia and you are more than welcome to crash at my place if you are passing through here, which I would HIGHLY recommend. Colombia should not be missed. Anyway, let me know if you are coming through and when and hopefully we can work it out. I will be stateside from the 10th of June till the 18th of July, any other time the beers are on me. Let me know!
OcoeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #335
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcoeeG View Post
Hey fellas!!! Haven't read the whole post yet but I am liking what I have read so far.

Not sure your exact route into South America but I live in Medellin, Colombia and you are more than welcome to crash at my place if you are passing through here, which I would HIGHLY recommend. Colombia should not be missed. Anyway, let me know if you are coming through and when and hopefully we can work it out. I will be stateside from the 10th of June till the 18th of July, any other time the beers are on me. Let me know!
Just as an aside, everything I have read indicates Columbia is an excellent place to kick back and enjoy. When I head down next year I'm planning awhile in that country. Read some of the RR's about people being there.

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #336
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Columbia and Medellin

Hey guys!

We are definitely headed into Columbia soon enough, plan to be in the country at least a couple of weeks if not 3-4.

Medellin is on our radar, and we'll be passing through. We have only heard good things from all of our fellow travelers about Columbia. We won't be missing out if we have our way.

We'll keep you posted. A free place to crash is always great. Thanks for reading the ride report!

--Alex
Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #337
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Hello from Hopkins, Belize!

Today is a good day, an easy day, and a relaxing day after yesterday, which was anything but. Last time you heard from us, we were in Tulum, getting ready for our last night before heading south towards Belize.
That night, Sunday night, started off with a Belly dancer showing her skills inside the hostel compound, and everyone was buying lots of beer (except me, seriously). Eventually it ended, and people were getting restless. We’ll that won’t do. Where is the next party going to be!?

I made a logical comment. Guys, we’re probably out of luck at 11pm on a Sunday night. Hmmm…. Everyone ponders that thought, except one person. Justine. The French Canadian bombshell that didn’t stop dancing all night until Pipo (Phillip) the German, made her slow down (elsewhere). She would have none of that. I’ll be back! She proclaimed, and took off out of the hostel to find an open bar. And return she did, with the next place in mind. Across the street, find the red light emerging from the door way. That is the place. Let’s go!
So go we did. And what did we find? A private birthday party, with a live band, and a bartender, and a dance floor. Oh. Shit. Here. We. Go. Again.

And so they danced, and I danced, and everyone danced, and the band played, and the music blasted, and the keyboarder rocked solo’s while the bassist ripped a beat and the guitarist shredded chords, and the vocalist lost his voice. And we danced some more. And Phillip, Chris, and Dominick (Germans), Adam, Flo, Justine, (Canadians) Eddy and Alin (French) and enough Australians, Brits, and Europeans to fill the house, had a wonderful night and returned to the hostel for bed.

A view from my room.

And the hostel cat that got fat from being overfed.

The next day was rather slow paced. We rode the 2.5 hours back south to Chetumal, and stayed at the same place we had when we were there 5 nights before. We ate some food, hung out, and did a whole lot of nothing in mild preparation for the next day on the road, and our border crossing into Belize.

And that my friends, is where we stopped having fun for a little while.
The next day was the Belizean border crossing just south of Chetumal, where we knew they would attempt to rip us off for $262 pesos for the Mexican exit fee. First thing first, we bought the mandatory insurance required for Belize. And that’s where we met Edward.

He is one of those guys you hear about, that sits at a border, and gets paid by tourists to do a hell of a lot of nothing valuable. And we paid him, though it was the equivalent of about $5usd. What did he do for us? He spoke English (all of Belize does), and facilitated (by talking about random shit) our cheap Belizean insurance, and got our tire fumigation taken care of without fumigating our tires. A week of insurance costs 29 Belizean dollars, which are pegged at 2 to 1. So it was $14.50. We’ll be out of Belize before the week’s end anyhow.

Then we stopped at Mexican immigration, and that’s where the hassle started, and we got ripped off.

Ever hear of paying for your tourist entry visa, and then paying to another fee for leaving the same country? Well that’s what this particularly fucked (excuse my language please) border crossing made us do. And it went pretty deep as well.

We arrived to have (what we later learned was) a Belizean guy tell us we needed pay $20 each for exit tax. (They use a Belizean as he speaks good English) We instantly told him that we weren’t going to pay him for this bullshit. We’re not fools, and we're not putting money in someone else’s pocket. None of our friends that have crossed into Mexico by bike ever paid to leave. No way are we giving you any damn money. We paid our tourist visa, NO we don’t have a damn receipt, and this STAMP in my passport is my damn RECIEPT. Let me talk to the bank.

Guy at the bank, we know this is bullshit, we’re not paying this. Ok, go talk to the guys at immigration. Yea, ok. I know what you just said. You just said I’m right. No. No. Don’t bother telling me different. I know how you feel. You’re caught in the middle. I know what’s up. Don’t worry, I’ll go talk to those immigration punks.
So back we go.

Hey, those guys at the bank don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. I’m not paying for this shit. Neither is he. Who else wants to tell me I have to? Go talk to your immigration manager? Yeah, I’ll do that. Tom, you’ll stay with these bikes? Yeah, go give them hell, fuckers.

Hola, como estas? Porque tenemos que pagar para salir de esta pais cuando pagamos para entrar? No, no tenemos un receta, tenemos una estampa en nuestro pasaportes.

(Hi, how are you? Why do we have to pay to leave this country when we paid to enter? No we don’t have a receipt; we have a stamp in our passport)

Look at all of these copies, you see these receipts, these are from people who paid their fees. You see this? You have to pay this as well.
Yea, I see this. All of those people are idiots. They shouldn’t have paid them, because they got ripped off. Just like you are going to rip me off. Yeah I know. You’re not going to let us leave until we pay this. You’ll stand in our way, you’ve already done this. You guys are fake, and false as hell. And corrupt on top of this. This is bull shit.

So, we went back, and they wouldn’t let us cancel our bike import papers unless we paid the leaving tax. A bunch of bullshit. How do we know this is bull shit? They won’t screw you on this tax leaving Mexico when you go back into the states. They won’t charge you this tax if you’re not at this particular border. They didn’t charge others that had been in front of us on the way south. AND Ty and Jill didn’t pay the fee two days before. (They had 2 bus loads of people behind them, and they wouldn’t get out of line, held everyone up for 5 minutes, and they border immigration let them pass.)

So we paid their bullshit $262 peso ($23) fee, and that was that. FUCKERS.

Then we drove right by the fumigation place (the waved us by, cause our paid assistant had paid them off) and drove up to the border guards. Go get your stuff stamped right over there. Yea ok. 5 minutes later, passports stamped for a month, and we were good to go.

Did I mention, the national language of Belize is English? They use miles per hour, and the people aren’t looking to get more out of you just cause your White/American.

Don’t get me wrong. We really enjoyed Mexico. We never had any problems with any of the people. Yea, we did an illegal U-turn at a red light when we were in La Paz, and yea we paid them 500pesos as a “fee” but that was it. 2 military check points asking us to open our bags, a few more just giving us the standard questions, and that was all. Normal shit. Thanks Mexico we loved you. Then, THREE GUYS gives us a sour taste on the way out. So to those guys we say, “FUCK YOU, ” you don’t represent Mexico, and you should be dismissed, as you are a disgrace. Thanks for the warm welcome Belize, we’ll enjoy our stay. And so far we have.

We rode straight to Hopkins, Belize in search of friends we met in Tulum. Ty and Jill, riding two up on a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. They were staying there, and we wanted to find some friendly people.
Check out Tom on the beach.

Hey Tom, what’s up. Nothing. Cool. Check out that buggered canoe. Yeah, it’s pretty buggered man.

Where are we staying? Ah, we found Ty and Jill, and they had some friends they met, and were in a Cabana.

We found a cheaper version to split that night, and the next night (tonight) we’ve joined them as their friends had left. It’s kick ass. We’re into it $12.50 a night each, and we don’t mind. There are cheaper options, but we didn’t need them. Belize is cheaper then Mexico. Awesome.

Our Cabana has 3 beds, 2 queens, (Ty and Jill are in one, and I’m in another) and a Twin that Tom snagged.

A little view of the inside.

And the view out the front door.

This is shit that people dream about. I told Tom that this morning. De acuerdo (I agree) he said. We’re living it man. Yea man. We are.
It’s sunk in. We’re on a roll. Let’s not stop. Not yet at least.
Onward friends. We’re on a roll.

--Alex
Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #338
Hishooter
On the Road

Oddometer: 33
This is shit that people dream about. I told Tom that this morning. De acuerdo (I agree) he said. We’re living it man. Yea man. We are.
It’s sunk in. We’re on a roll. Let’s not stop. Not yet at least.
Onward friends. We’re on a roll.

--Alex

Fuck ya! Awesome quote man. , So looking forward to following your steps.
Hishooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #339
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,481
Keep the good vibes going; don't let border horseshit bum you out. You guys are on a good roll.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #340
troutshack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I am enjoying your ride report. Just caught up, you are in some familiar territory to me now. I have stayed at hostel Pochon and the best tacos I have ever had were 5 or 6 blocks away. I've also been to Mitla and camped above Hierva el Agua, Tuxtula , Tulum, Chetumal. If you missed aqua azul and Sumidero canyon you should try to hit it up on the return trip. I am living vicariously through you until I get to go again. I would highly recommend Flores Guatemala and the ruins of Tikal nearby. Flores is an island in a lake and 2 years ago we paid U.S. 5.40 a night for a room, had cheep beers on the roof and a great time. Keep up the great RR and safe travels.
bp
troutshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #341
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Guys,

We were in and out, and over that border b.s. by the time we were 30 minutes into Belize. It's been forgotten. And yes, we got mad at having to pay for that bogus exit tax/fee, and we were pissed off, but in reality, we didn't get to upset with the border/immigration/bank workers. They wanted something that we have. Money. And they got a little bit.

Hishooter: Thanks for the positive comment. We are on a roll. And we are living the dream. And we're loving it!

Jimmex: Thanks man, we went swimming in the 80 degree ocean today, and had some authentic Chinese food. Beef Chow-Mein please, and thank you!

Troutshack: Prices haven't risen much since you were here last. Flores hostels still for for like $5-$6usd. We'll be in Flores in the next few days or so, and Tikal is on the list of sights to see. Thanks for the reminder!

We head to San Ignacio tomorrow, near the Guatemala border for some free camping. Ty and Jill (two up on a V-Strom 1000) are headed there as well. Should be a good time!

--Alex
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #342
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 481
better late than never

Hi Al,

Glad we got re-connected. I've only got as far as where you f'd your side cases the day after you paid to get your bikes washed......... I'm enjoying it very much. You and your Bud are not living the dream, you are dreaming the life. How wonderful to figure that out in your early 20's.

I'll get up to speed on the rest of your trip soon. Now, this is important !!

If/when you get to Switzerland, PM me. I have great friends there with ski boats on Lac Leman ( Lake Geneva ) to us N. Americans as well as some MC friends. Let me know !!! That area was my playground for a few years.

I would take 2 Eagle Scouts before 10 of anything else........ except Marine Corps Recon or Scout Sniper

Carry On!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #343
mesputnik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
well, this is an education. followed other r/r's. noway are they doing it right. now i know, ride till i run out of gas, ride over nails. crash a couple times. and then at the end of the day run into some smokin hot local women. easy !
mesputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #344
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
"Ever hear of paying for your tourist entry visa, and then paying to another fee for leaving the same country? Well that’s what this particularly fucked (excuse my language please) border crossing made us do. And it went pretty deep as well."

I'm not defending the policy, but ...

You can get into Mexico legally without getting a FMT (The one you bought getting in) through Baja if you are only staying 3 days and only going in the northern part.

Try getting out on and airline anywhere and you will buy a new one if you did not save the old one.

You have to buy a new one because they assume you should have had one and not lost it.

Just the facts.

Keep up the good ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #345
Joe Siphek
FYYFF

Oddometer: 13
Love this rr

that is all
Joe Siphek is offline   Reply With Quote