Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #721
reboundrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hey, thanks for sharing Alex. Very sorry for the loss of your twin brother. He must have been a really fun guy to be around and I am sure you miss him every day. It seems he made the most of his short time here on earth and experienced more thrills and adrenaline highs than most men do in a lifetime. I am sure he is smiling down on you!

Can't wait to hear how the touring around machu pichu on the little honda's goes. Does Kristi ride or will she be riding with you? All the best.

Reboundrider : Hey man. During the summer of 2008, I took the summer and spent 11 weeks backpacking from Cusco to Buenos Aires and back. Now I can say that I have backpacked from Bogota to B.A. (Not to mention on bike as well!)

It’s hard to make Kristi have less than a good time. She’s ready for adventure at the drop of a hat; one of my favorite qualities that she embodies. That stomach bug is long gone!

Check these links for info re my most excellent twin brother Andy Smith

http://www.lakestevensjournal.com/ne...o_of_their_own

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...3937168/10.htm
(Click: Read Story at bottom right of photo)

Thanks for all the questions guys! Keep them coming. A hike of the Salkantay Trek up to Machu Picchu may have been officially vetoed by Kristi. Why? Because we can tour the entire surrounding area on a Honda 250/400 motorcycle for $35/day, and see even more…

She told me it was a good idea. I think so too!

--Alex [/SIZE][/QUOTE]
reboundrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #722
dano619
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
hey alex and co., thanks for the good read, started readin a couple of week ago from the beginning, now i am caught up, follow RR every day or every other day at least, good stuff........very cool to be able to take an adventure for such a long time......I have been to many places around the world for a week here and a week there, but to do it for such along period of time is freekin incredible............keep up the adventure and enjoy the beer I sent you or the gifts for the kids, its all good.........cheers......and keep thinkin young.........age is only a number!!
dano619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #723
L8EZMAMA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Volunteering:)

It looks like everyone had a blast with all the arts and crafts the two of you picked up at the craft storeThe pictures of all of you are fantastic, there is another great memory to go with all the others. Love the updates, keep them coming, can't wait to hear how the trip to Machu Picchu goes. So happy for the two of you to enjoy and have such great memories from these travels

L8EZMAMA screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 12:47 PM
L8EZMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #724
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Completely digging your report Alex!

The few bucks I sent to your beer fund can't even come close to the huge deposit you made into your Karma account by volunteering with those kids! What goes around comes around, and you guys hanging with those kids is tip-top. Good on ya!
danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #725
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Oalvarez: Kristi and I had a great time with the kids. It was great experience!

Reboundrider: Kristi does ride, but hasn't in a long while, and is really just learning, so she'll be on the back of a bike should we find ourselves on the back of a motorcycle. No worries on the sharing part, sharing is easy. We're looking forward to seeing more in the area in the next few days as well.

dano619: Hey amigo. Traveling the world may be my profession if I have my way. I don't think Kristi would mind either! Thanks for following along, and thanks for being part of the journey! Stay tuned!

L8EZMAMA: More to come soon! Don't hold your breath! Hehehe. We love you back! We're looking forward to Machu Picchu as well! It will be a great time, like all the others!

danceswithcages: Kelly! Beers or no beers, it was all good! Those kids had a great time, and it took a physical interruption to get one of the little girls to let go of Kristi when we had to leave. We had an awesome time, and it was kick ass. I see more in my future.

Today was a productive day as well. We made our way down to the Hand Crafted Market and bought ourselves some warm, CHEAP, llama/alpaca wool sweaters and hats.

A little more walking had more in store for us, but that story goes with the photos I took but haven't uploaded yet. So stay tuned!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #726
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Wicked Beers on the way!!

Hey Alex,

I have really enjoyed your RR over the last several months. It has inspired me to make my own plans for an adventure in 2012.

What you did for the kids prompted the beer donation. That was very cool of you two.

Enjoy and be safe.

Michael
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #727
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,970
Way to go with the kids! great to spread some good karma for yourselves and others
Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #728
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Shopping and wild dogs.

For the past few days, at nearly 11k feet, Kristi has been freezing her ass off. Why? Well, she didn’t bring exactly the right clothes for this type of climate. She’s well dressed, but a little cold. So we made our way down the big ass hill that the hostel sits atop.

On the way down the hill, this little guy was walking at the same pace as we were, down the hill, taking the steps one at a time. He might have been 5 or 6 years old. Before I could ask him, a Flintstones Cartoon shining from inside a doorway caught his attention and we left him in our dust.

15-20 minutes later and about a thousand feet of elevation lower, we made our way into the Hand Craft Market where we intended to buy Kristi some cheap, warm, alpaca wool clothing.

Though Kristi hates this photo, because she says her hair looks like a grandma’s, it is the only photo of the nice lady that sold Kristi and I two sweaters for less than $25. I’m wearing mine now, and I am glad I have it.

This lady, though she looks grumpy, was one of the funniest people in the area. When I asked her for Moletos (fingerless gloves) she replied, “Ah, no senor, porque me preguntas por la cosas que no tengo?” (Ah, no mister, why do you ask me for the things that I don’t have). To which I replied “Porque no tienes las cosas de que estoy buscando? (Why don’t you have the things I am looking for?) And then I took the time to ask her for the two other things that I knew she would not have. #1 Pants that were long enough for me, and #2 Shoes that would fit me. To which she playfully cried, “Por que son tan altos? ¿Por que crecer tan alto?!?” (Why are you so tall? Why did you grow so tall?)

After buying Kristi a couple of knitted hats, and a pair of moletos (fingerless gloves), a sweater, and a bag for like $30, we walked out of the market and within 2 blocks of walking back to the hostel Kristi saw a girl wearing leggings. She wants leggings. At least I know that it wasn’t impulsive, as she had mentioned that leggings would help keep her warm (at least 4 times in the past 2 days). So we chased the girl down, and asked her where she bought her leggings, what she called them in Spanish (leggings…) and how much she paid for them. We could find them for $7 at the Molino Market, like 6 blocks down the road.

And so we walked, and saw some stuff. Like this statue overlooking the more modern power lines.

And then, after asking lots of people where this market was, we had walked about another mile, and suddenly we found ourselves looking at mannequins dressed in tight pants.

And $7.5 later, we had a pair of leggings and were making our way back to this lady selling meat skewers on the street for 2soles (70cents).

And then we stopped for some fresh squeezed orange juice for $.50. Thank you!

At the market entrance, where we had our snack, we hailed a taxi. For 3 soles, we were taken the 2 miles back up to the main square of the Santa Teresa area of Cusco, Plaza de Armas. On the way I took a picture of a museum.

On the resulting walk up the hill, we passed a pack of wild dogs. I counted 15 of them!

On the way to the hostel, I stopped off at a motorcycle rental shop. I had been told that for 90 soles, I could rent a motorcycle, with jacket, gloves, helmet and goggles for the whole day. That sounded good. Plus, Anna and a young American guy Cameron were interested. So I arranged to get her phone number to call her, to open the shop Sunday morning, to rent some bikes. Cooooool.

Back at the hostel, we got dragged out for dinner, which involved walking way back down the hill, and then back up again. Well, the chicken, rice and french-fries were worth it.

Anna and Cameron and Peter were at dinner with us, and that is where I filled in Anna and Cameron about the motorcycle rental. They were game, and so we planned to go. On the way back to the hostel, I made a couple of phone calls to the lady at the rental shop. She told me to call before 10pm or after 7am. It was 9:50pm, and she didn’t answer. Damn…

--Alex

bigalsmith101 screwed with this post 09-12-2011 at 04:14 PM
Old 09-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #729
L8EZMAMA
Adventurer

Cool2 warmer clothes

Happy to hear that you both found some warmer clothes it sounds like you will need them for your hike! Dinner looked awesome, I also enjoyed the pictures of the shops it looks so interesting I hope you have a great Hike be sure to take some photos. I will try to catch you on facebook. I keep missing you bothI am sure you are busy sight seeing, but I will keep trying. keep enjoying & having fun. It was great how you spent the afternoon with those kidshow AWESOME!!!!!!!!

L8EZMAMA screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 12:48 PM
Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #730
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Trek begins tomorrow.

L8EZMAMA: Sorry to keep missing you on FB, but we're definitely busy all the time! It's been a good past few days as well. We start hiking tomorrow afternoon, but leave the hostel at 4:30am.

Alright everyone! We're about to hit the road tomorrow morning at 4:30. The trek is 5 days, 4 nights, and 72km. We'll hike over a 4,650 meter mountain pass (15,080ft?) and then hike back down to around 2,200 meters (7k feet).

We'll see mountains, valleys, high jungle, and jungle. Animals, birds, insects and more.

Machu Picchu is on the last day, and Huaynu Picchu along with it. (Huaynu = Why-noo)

It's going to be awesome.

If you are all lucky, I'll get around to typing up the latest days report. Suffice it to say, 2 liters of beer at 11k feet will get you off your ass and on the dance floor!

--Alex
Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #731
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,651
Amazing trip just keeps getting more so as it goes! looking forward to the hiking trip up the mountains,thanks much for all the work on the report.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #732
L8EZMAMA
Adventurer

Wink Machu Picchu

So there it is again I just missed you, Have a great hike and hopefully I will catch you again soon

L8EZMAMA screwed with this post 09-21-2011 at 12:48 PM
Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #733
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
Thank you Al for what you and your gal did for those kids ...we see the comericals on TV with different groups asking for money to help these kids . I often wonder how much of the money ever reaches the kids .
what you spent went a long way to make those kids very happy ....your parents raised you both well it shows I know they are very proud .
thanks for the post and the pics ...it made me happy too .
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #734
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Happy Trails!

You're going to love the hiking the Inca Trail. My wife and I did that back in Jan 2002 and were lucky to catch an unseasonably warm day to start off. Despite being way out of shape thanks to our office jobs, we made it the whole way without any incident. The best thing about it was being completely separated from modern society and just taking in the scenery and the ancient ruins along the way. Man, I gotta get out of this office again!

Keep up the great RR! Glad to see Kristi's having a great time despite the bio issues.
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #735
D-RAIL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Beer funds your way Big A!.....

I wanted to ask , what happened to Sarah, from way back in Mexico, Sorry if I missed a post about that, I just noticed she was from New Mexico (same as me)

I backpacked from Lima to Cusco, & hiked to Machu Pichu back in 08 too. We went during the Inti Rymi Festival. It was Amazing. After being hooked on your awesome RR, Im gonna have to get back down there on my bike this time.

FELIZ VIAJE AMIGO!
D-RAIL is offline   Reply With Quote