Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #826
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 350
See the part in bold. You know why so many of us LOVE this thread, because we're older and could never do this at this point in our life and this is the next best thing.

This has been an awesome thread, you've had a hell of a journey. Whatever you do, make sure you're having a great time at it. If being on the bike doesn't make it a great time at this point, then do whatever you need to in order to find that happy place. Have fun, enjoy life, enjoy friends as much as you can while you can.

If you need beers, and that's the point of contention. Many of us have beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I've sat on this for some time thinking about what I would do and really it's tough to say. I don't think I can put myself in your shoes.

Here you are ON the trip of a lifetime and you've received your fair share of bad luck, but seemingly handled the situations very well. I can't fathom the up and down feelings when considering your position.

It's easy to say "keep it up!" when you haven't been there, but even after the first one in Baja I'd be struggling to find a fix and continue on. This will be your third time, not to mention Tom's luck with being pistol slapped.

In either event, I think you can agree it's the possiblility that this opportunitiy will never present itself again, at least in the senerio it is now (add 40 years, medications, and worry about well being is not the same way) and that right there is the driving factor, in my opinion.

Whatever you do, don't make the decision lightly but know none of us will be judging. You've been through a hell of a lot!
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #827
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 947
up to you

Its all your call. you are beat up, pissed off, in a foriegn country, gotta deal with the law, all these things wiegh heavy on your mind. Back home feels safe because you know the way things work - not so much in foriegn land as a foriegner. we treat them different hear, they treat us different down there! Its all good. Oppertunity comes and goes. If you feel it might not come around again, only one choice FIX REPAIR RIDE ON. Get paired up with Tom again and you will feel a little less "out on your own". Its easy for me to say that as I type away hear in the states. I would love to have the oppertunity to spend several months out of country, young and on a motorcycle with a destination like tdf. If you can muster up the cash for repairs, and have the mindset to keep going do it. BUT, it really is your choice and you are the only one who matters. Gotta keep in mind I am biased, cause I ride through you on this trip and it has been such an epic trip and well communicated ride report. I support whatever choice you choose and am damn glad you took us this far!!!!!!

Monte
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #828
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
I will say it again.

We shall talk no more of pulling plugs.

I need a healed left collarbone, 21 plates of steak, rice, and potatoes, 2 liters of Orange Gatorade, and time to repair my motorcycle.

THEN I will make a decision on the next step. That is 10-14 days from now, at LEAST.

Potential processes include the following. In NO particular order.

#1 Fix bike, continue south.

#2 Get bike to Guayaquil or Quito, send it home, buy backpack, and continue South.

#3 Bag it all, send the bike home, and fly home.

#4 Sell the bike if possible, and continue south.

As we see here, therein lies only a 25% of bagging it and going home.

Ride report will continue regardless of Motorcycle.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #829
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Al, just sat down to catch up with you, and wow, I wasn't expecting this! Keep your head up, dude, you're still living the life and experiencing it to the extreme. Take your time to heal up properly, since you've got the time thanks to having to get the legal stuff sorted out. I'm glad that you're dropping the plug pulling low on your list of options, because you are truly on a once in a lifetime adventure -- the kind that makes me stew in jealousy! Clear your head and keep moving forward. As others have said, it doesn't matter if you're on a motorcycle, bus, or even hiking it -- the point is that you're continuing your journey. Hell, you could even sell your bike, buy a scooter down there, and still be having a better adventure than I've had...well...ever! Enjoy these times for they are far too fleeting.
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #830
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post

--Alex

And **I** shall keep reading!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #831
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:

--Alex
THAT'S what I wanted to hear!
danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #832
Statdawg
Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer: 1,331
Big Al

You are an Eagle Scout , have a college education, worked in Alaska and you are not on a BMW, so I have no worries with what you decide.
Statdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #833
Shellibean
Is my leg on fire?

Oddometer: 12
Follow your gut...

Alex,
This is a trip of a lifetime. You have had quite an adventure, good parts and not so good parts, but through it all, this is something you can tell your grandkids about. In times of indecision, follow your gut. Your head is too logical, your heart too emotional, but your gut tells it like it is and never will let you down. I admire your gutsy-ness (another reason to follow your gut) and your sense of adventure. I'm a chicken when it comes to that. Do what your gut tells you. Dream well, live well, eat well (you've done #3 already many times ). Warren and I will be following as the story continues....

Aunt Shelli
Shellibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #834
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 708
Al,

I have really enjoyed following your trip and what you have accomplished so far. Your way of telling the story, combined with your eye for capturing the right pictures, has garnered more than a quarter million views and counting. Your story has brought a lot of happiness to people who could never make such a journey.

There are many on this great site (and in our society in general) that can't help but squeamishly tune in to watch self-destructive celebrities, train wrecks, etc. I suspect some of the people now urging you to continue at all cost are of this persuasion.

In April of this year, at age 50, I rode many of the same tracks that you have traversed by motorcycle, train, and foot. I guarantee that your riding skills exceed mine, but I was cautious or lucky and never even dropped my bike. I think you have a very good chance of completing your trip, but only if you adjust your riding style. Life doesn't end at 30 and you still have decades ahead to live your dreams. There is no shame in deferring the remainder of the trip to TDF.

I hope things work out well for both you and the pedestrian, and wish you all the best.

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #835
D-RAIL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
When in doubt, gas it out!

DAMN BRO!!!!!! First off, Im glad you're ok, and best regards to the old man.

What more can I say that has not already been said. I dont believe in luck....shit just happens. You my friend, have had some goodtimes,& some bad get offs. Which are the key ingredients that make this such an epic story. I have enjoyed following along here since we left Mazatlan.Thank you for the letting all of us on here tag along. You have a great writing style, that I know is not easy on the road. & for that, Muchas Gracias Amigo!

As a fellow Moto Adventurer to another, if you ride, its not a question of if you will crash, its when and how many bones will you break? For me Im going on 12 broken bones and 6 major surgeries(most all from motocross). When you get bucked off, you gotta jump back in the saddle. I hate to see you get this far to give up on the bike. Bones heal, chicks dig scars, and stories last forever! But in your case, I respect any decission you make. You cant let these demons defeat you. Let your wounds heal, and ride on! It sounds like you can patch up the ole DR easily, but you might need a bigger bike to haul your balls around!

The biggest regrets you have in life are the chances you never took!.....and nobody can say you never took a chance!

FELIZ VIAJE BIG AL!

D-RAIL screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 09:30 PM Reason: cant spell
D-RAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #836
Rushkin
Moto itch

Oddometer: 12
One Crazy SOB

Hey ya Big Al!!!
First and foremost, consider patching yourself up (the collar bone and the ankle), get some proper R&R while down there.
Secondly,
What exactly will the ole horse need to get back on the road?
It might be helpfull to organize a fund through say your ma (cheers to the ma! ) to get one fat shippment of parts down there so you can fix her up properly.
And as far as your spills go, will you knock that sh$T off?!
Keep it rolling mate, you inspire the rest of us on this thread to keep working!!
Cheers!
Rushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #837
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,966
Alex, I am sure the rational part of your Dad hears ya, but the emotional part is deaf, as a Dad it's his job to worry.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #838
whotmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Being male, and sort of typical

can we step away from broken bones and emotional crap for a minute (just trying to lighten the mood ...)

how is the ride?
any sense of the extent of damages?
whotmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #839
benihaha
Al's Dad

Oddometer: 14
Open Letter to ADV'rs

I just got a nice, predictable ass reaming from you-know-who.
But before I delete my petition for public funding I would like to say: Thank You to everyone who has supported Alex on his journey by word or deed, for buying him "beers" and offering encouragement, suggestions and good thoughts. As a community you have backed a true adventurer. I am proud to know you, Alex. Come home in one piece, Son.
benihaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #840
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,622
Quote:

I need a healed left collarbone, 21 plates of steak, rice, and potatoes, 2 liters of Orange Gatorade, and time to repair my motorcycle.

THEN I will make a decision on the next step. That is 10-14 days from now, at LEAST.

Potential processes include the following. In NO particular order.

#1 Fix bike, continue south.

#2 Get bike to Guayaquil or Quito, send it home, buy backpack, and continue South.

#3 Bag it all, send the bike home, and fly home.

#4 Sell the bike if possible, and continue south.

As we see here, therein lies only a 25% of bagging it and going home.

--Alex
Very nicely put,your common sense will tell you whats the right thing to do.
Your trip,your call, best of luck healing up.