Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #106
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
You guys are covering some ground! Buzzing along nicely it seems.
Baja is always fun,the beach towns are always nice to hang at and relax.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #107
zapjillski
n00b

Oddometer: 2
We are very excited about your adventure. Your writing style and photos are great. You can't control the unplanned events but you can control how you react to them.

Stay healthy and enjoy the unplanned events.

Zap & Jill
zapjillski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #108
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
I'm in! Thanks for taking the time to take us with you. Travel safe!

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #109
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
good reading...you boys take care and wish you well.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #110
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Make sure that the flooded carb did not flood the crank case and contaminate the oil with gas. It happens frequently and if not caught leads to engine failure. The thinned oil will not lube properly and it will destroy the top end (if your lucky,entire engine if you aren't) . Check the oil level and smell the oil as well. I would change the oil just to be safe, I have ruined an engine this way myself so don't take it lightly, it is serious.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #111
bttran
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Tagging along
bttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #112
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 424

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #113
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #114
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 13,343
What a great spirit of adventure! Stay safe and happy trails!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #115
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #116
Shellibean
Is my leg on fire?

Oddometer: 12
Wish I was there...

So far your adventure has been wonderful to follow. Hope you get a chance to surf the waves in Baja and get sand in your shorts
Shellibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #117
jab1026
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I'm in....

Yeah.. hit the road until there is road...
jab1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #118
nomad888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I'm in
nomad888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #119
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Day and 7! Weee!

Ahoy! Dia seis y siete están aquí. Estamos en Ensenada, y entonces necesito escribir y conversa en espanol! Jajaja. (Hey! Days five and six are here. We are in Ensenada, y so, I need to write and converse in Spanish! Haha)
Just kidding! So far so good. We crossed the Mexican border yesterday at Tijuana. It was pretty straight forward…. Not. He is DAY SIX
We woke up pretty early in comparison to the days before, and were out of Chad’s apartment at about 10am with a few goals in mind.
First, let’s get the hell out of the parking lot. That took a while…

Second. Get Tom’s bike title and registration from one of the 4 major San Diego post offices. THAT took a while. We went the one that said they had his mail, 18 miles away. They didn’t. 22 miles back the way we came, and we were at the one that DID have it. Success!
Third. Buy some spare sparks plugs for our bikes because the lame ebay vendor that sold me 10 sent them to late to arrive before we left Seattle. Dammit. Well, we just never got that taken care off.
Fourth. Put my cell phone on standby. Easy. 5 minutes and I was done.
Fifth. We’re hungry. We need to buy some food. But we’re in a hurry. Ugh. Lame AM/PM food to the rescue. It did the trick.
Sixth. Cross the Mexican border, FINALLY. Haha. That was a joke. We just drove through. Oops. Mr. Australian needs a passport stamp. We’re in Mexico. Turn around. Drive back to America. Drive right in. Easy. Turn around. Drive back, get in the Declaration line, park our bikes, Tom stuck around, and we searched for stamps. Not only does he need a stamp, Tom and I needed a tourist visa as we plan to be in Mexico for more than just a few days. Soooo, we walked back into Mexico via the border agents advice. Why? We wanted to import our vehicles. We cross. It didn’t work. No we need to wait in line to get back to the States again?! What? Hell no. So we talked a border agent.

He says, “Ahhhh Mayne, just walk back unda that bridg dare, back the way you come. Justa keep goin when yous see thata sign dat sayes no entry. Ifa soldier getsa mad, just tellem you needa stampa en your pasaporte. Yous a tourist. Tell hima youra tourist. No problem. You justa walk back in dataway.”

So, we did just that. We walked back into the United States of America, like we owned the place. An American and an Australian. And not one single person even noticed. Nothing happened whatsoever. We just simply walked right in. What a joke.

Finallly we all three ended up with a tourist visa, and we decided not to import our motorcycles as of yet as it isn’t required in Baja. It’ll be a necessity when we take the ferry from La Paz, Baja to the mainland of Mexico. That can WAIT.

And so, we were in MEXICO BABY!!!! Sweet. Next stop is Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico to meet numero cuatro of our newly formed posse of motorcycle adventurers; Sara, of New Mexico, formerly Colorado, riding a 2005 Yamaha XT225.

We hauled ass after we crossed into Tijuana Mexico. We didn’t really want to be around that area for long. Too many people with too much interference in our lifestyle. More relaxed please. So, we jumped on Highway 1 to Ensenada on the Toll Road. 81 pesos later each ($6.90), and 100 kilometers (60 miles) we were in Ensenada at the Motel America. Cheap when split 4 ways. $8.50 each. Check it out!

Check out our Motorcycles, AGAIN! Add the XT225 to the group and all of a sudden our bikes are massive.

And the room. Is it small? Yes. Do we care? No. Are two of us sleeping on the floor? Um, yea. So what. We rotate it. Right on.

Well, first step first. Chat with our new friend.

Oh right. Meet Sarah!

Next, time for some food. No pictures for this one as I spazzed and left the camera in my tank bag in the motel room. We had asado (grilled beef) tacos with guacamole and cilantro on our choice of corn (maize) or flour (harina) tortillas. They were 14 pesos each ($1.20) and I ate 5. They were so good. Tom had 3. Charlie had 3. Sarah had 1. We ate 11. It was awesome. After stuffing face, we headed back. It was time to finish.
And now it’s time for bed! Tom caught the floor that night. Both he and Charlie volunteered. Good men.

And so ends day five. 1500+ miles into our journey already. Now, we’re slowing the hell down.

And so begins day SEVEN! Up and awake at 9am, I decided I wanted to go to the grocery store for some breakfast. On the way there I swung by the Marina.

The boats were either fishing boats or personal vessels. Probably some tourist operations in there as well. I don’t really know.

Back from the grocery store we started cooking. On the menu this morning, eggs with a diced red pepper, seasoned with local (or so we think) chorizo sausage, and cooked in a camping fry pan with some olive oil. Scrambled and tossed into a flour tortilla, and we’re eating breakfast burritos. Bitchin.

Off for a jaunt around town, and we stopped at the local wifi joint/coffee shop. Sarah has discovered the wifi password (1234567890) and we had something to drink. Tea for Sarah. Coffee for Charlie and Tom. A coca for me (coke). Happy as clams we all were.

For those of you interested in an updated ‘stache photo. See Tom’s scruffy cheeks and progressive ‘stache.

It’s progressing nicely. We’re all happy for him…..
Cruising the streets today was good, and we saw some local stuff. Nothing too exciting.

Bird of Paradise Flower. First I have ever seen in person. My first thought was. Damn, that looks like a bird. And was future educated by Sarah as to its name. Well. That made sense.

Check out the Dog. He was king of the block. Don’t F with him.

Nothing too much more exciting happened today.
PSYCHE!
We went off road! And all the photos are on Tom’s camera, because I spazzed out again and didn’t snag my camera on the way out the door. Suffice it to say. We hit some gravel trails. Sarah saw her first real offroad experience. I rode her bike down some gnarly hill of a trail for her, Charlie realized the full weight of his bike, Tom’s panniers got in his way, and I hit 65mph on some dirt. Saweeeeet.

Let’s get lunch. Sweet. More tacos. Same stand, different location. Great asado tacos. Reminder, don’t eat the damned roasted jalapeno. Not hot, by Mexican standard, is HOT AS HELL. No I can’t eat spicy food. Yes, it f’s me up. Lesson learned. Damn that sucked.
Lets go back to the hotel. No photos here either.
Let’s go to the beach! Sweet. Sarah opted out, so Tom, Charlie and I rode down the coastal waterfront road looking for access to the beach, on our moto’s. Hell yes. We found it. And Charlie and I hauled ass on the beach. 60mph? Yes please. We rode to the end, and we rode back. And we rode down again, to where Tom finally was. He doesn’t like the sand. He wasn’t happy going fast enough to glide over it. AND his panniers were fully loaded. Not so much fun. So he took off, finding a road re-entry point at a different spot.
Charlie and I kept messing around, riding the beach. What an experience. It’s normal to do this here, so no one cared, and politely moved out of the way when they heard us coming. Thanks everyone!
After Charlie and I were done, we headed back to the hotel. Wait? Where’s Tom? Well, he’ll be ok. Let’s drink a beer. Beer’s finished. Where’s Tom? Should we go back? Maybe his supposed re-entry point didn’t re-enter very well. Is he bogged down? Stuck? In need? Ok, I’ll go back.
PSYCHE! Tom arrives! Did he get stuck? Yes. Bogged down? Yes. F’ed re-entry point? Yes. He hat-tricked the beach. Dammit. No more sand in his near future. Eh… We’ll see about that. Hopefully not!

He was tired, and hot, and sweaty. Hahaha. And soon, he was back up to par!

And we then headed back to the coffee shop.

And here we are. Wired in, updating our respective sites. Enjoying our time. Eating some fries, drinking a coke, having a good time. Not going anywhere soon, we plan to spend tomorrow here as well, and continue on south in two days time. Expect to see photos of the off road and beach in the near future. For now, it’s Taco time!
Until next time, I hope you enjoyed!
--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #120
Biker's Mama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Biker's Mama

Hi Alex and Tom,

Louise here.
Cruisin on the sand in Baja, sweet! Thanks for keeping us posted with all the great photos!
Biker's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote