awsome title, give me more spirit to do it

im in- indONEsia
Mr.lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #122
kooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Your Papers Please!!

Good start to your RR. I will be following along. Just a note about your bike papers, registration, title, and insurance. Make many copies of all of them. Be sure to keep the originals stashed and present the copies when asked for them. Make sure you have all the proper paperwork required or you could have problems getting the bikes our of one country and entering the next. If you have a moment read the Corporate Runaway's RR and their problems at boarder crossings in Central America. It could be useful.

Safe Journeys.
kooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #123
benihaha
Al's Dad

Oddometer: 14
I'll get a little credit for this some day

Keep 'em coming Ali!
benihaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #124
armycopter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Good luck guys! I'm In.
2009 KLX250S - Pro Taper KX High Bend, Maier Deluxe Woods Pro Handguards, DJ Kit (128 Main, 3rd Notch, 2 1/4 turns), Nomadic Cycle Rear Rack, Edge 2 Tail Light Mod, KDX200 Snorkel, Utah skid plate, UNI-Filter, FMF Q4 Exhaust, FMF Powerbomb Header, Kenda TMII-Rear, Dunlop 908-Front - 351 BB Kit!
armycopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #125
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
A little dirt, sand, and sun.

Ahah! Off road! Awesome.

Under the advice of the local tourism agent, we headed out Avenida Ruiz, all the way to the end. We ended up on a local hill top. It was awesome. Check it out!

We got to see some of the local government housing. It was quite the sight.

They all are about the same size and shape.

Just on the other side of the hill, Tom spotted some horses as well.
Tom’s hilltop.

The horses. A mare and her colt?

And then thought he’d like to pet one. So he did.

We also noticed a wacky rock.

El stone de hairy ass.

View from the rock was good too. If not full of mini homes.

It was soon time to eat. So we found our favorite taco stand.
Ahhhh, taco stand. Yumm!

Then we hit the beach. On our moto’s. It was awesome. Great weather for while as well.

Sarah headed back to the hotel, Tom stuck around for a while, and then headed back. He doesn’t like the sand. Charlie and I just hauled ass. It was great.

Charlie began to ponder if it gets better than this. I assured him that it does. It will. And we’re on the right path. He agreed of course.

We leave Ensenada tomorrow morning, headed for midland Baja Mexico. Our first destination is a park of some sort. Should be good to camp in. The day after we’ll head to La Bahia de Los Angeles. If we’re lucky, we’ll see some whales. We’ve all seen whales before, but this should be good anyway.

We looked at the map of Baja Mexico that Sarah brought along with her. It’s a damn big place. It gave us a good dose of reality. We’re 60 miles south of the US border. Soon enough, we’ll be much further south, with MUCH more to go. We can wait.

As a notable side note. Tom is keeping tabs on our vacation in his own blog on blogspot. His writing is not to be missed, and covers much of the detail that I might not add on my posts. His photos are generally complimentary to my own, if not the same. You’ll likely enjoy it just as much as this ride report as well. Here is a linky.

www.thetomreport.blogspot.com

Until next time. Onward!

--Alex

bigalsmith101 screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 07:02 PM
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #126
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh yea. Other noteable things from today.

Day 8
The grocery store we buy some food at. Along with beers. And even tequila.

The fish market. Weíll save cooking some fish for later. Itíll never be too far away.

After we hit the beach, we had our bikes washed for 40pesos at the local car wash. It was less than $4.00. The value in the states? At least $20. These guys spent 20 minutes on each bike. It was seriously long enough to get us to tell them that it was good enough, and in fact, cleaner then when we bought them. It was totally awesome. The bikes are shiny!

They were cleaning under the fenders, around the spokes, the wheels, the hubs/spokes, the side covers, the windshields, the mirrors, the tire sidewalls. Everything. The Jefe (boss man) stood alongside the others and pointed at dirt. They obeyed. It disappeared. Muchas Gracias amigos.

Ciao for now. Next update sometime next week!

--Alex
Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #127
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
ohhh washing a DS bike on a trip... bad mojo!

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #128
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,986
Opa? That's a pretty rare fish, they're a deepwater fish if I remember correctly.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #129
no_clue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
so there I was nursing my impressive hangover on the couch and reading ride reports, and I see an ugly mug in a photo that looks a lot like my buddy Charlie from Australia. Wait up just a minute, it is Charlie WTF!!

He's been a lazy sod and posted nothing since leaving so I'm glad you boys are picking up the slack. Looks like a great trip, hope you're having fun.

I don't know if I'll get to meet you guys but I'll be catching up with Charlie in Costa Rica in June before riding South to Argentina. I hope to share a beer with ya then if it's to be.

Until June, good luck staying out of trouble with that Charlie bloke around. I suggest you hide your beer and women!

Help keep me on the bike and out of that office by clicking on the ads in my blog (if you see something you like)

2010 Yamaha Tenere XT660Z
2008 Yamaha WR250X
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #130
DUALATP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Very Cool Ride Report....thanks...Keep the pics coming..

ATP's Termiter...
DUALATP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #131
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Love potion number nine my ass...

Ugh, Day 9!

Dia Nueve. You Fíed me hard Number 9. Love potion number nine my ass. Fíed Hard. Hard enough to nearly rip my right pelican case pannier from its mount. Hard enough to crack my pannier mount. Hard enough to grind an edge off my pelican case. Son of a bitch. And to think that Tom and I wondered how our gear would hold up in case we laid down our bikes. Well. Today, day nine. DAY NINE! Day nine gives us an answer.

Here goes day nine.

Oh sunny Ensenada. We shall leave you today. Where are we going? South. To somewhere below where we are now. On the map we see, La Bahia de Las Angeles. Letís go half way there. Sounds good. Well, thatís about Rosario. Sweet.
Onward! Sarah on the fly. I was chasing her (at 55mph) so she was the photo subject at the time.

I buzzed ahead of everyone and snagged a couple photoís as they rolled on by. First Tom, and then Sarah again.

Time for some good. Hambureguesas and papas for 40 pesos. Add a coca, 12 pesos. Less than 5 bucks. Canít beat this shit. Gets cheaper as we head further south into Mexico. Awesome.

Ahhhh, whatís that I hear? A bit of Mexican advertisement? Bet your ass it is.

Ahhh, the roads were good, and the traffic was light. But what is that I see? A road alongside the road? Yes it is! Letís ride it! How fast? Fassssst enough. Charlie took his turn.

Getting down to the road was an exercise in caution. Gotta make sure you leave the road correctly, and hit the gravel / hard pack dirt at the right speed/angle. That was the easy part. The hard part? Going slow.

Why should we go slow you ask? Ahhhhh. Because things like this jump up to bite you in the ASS!!!

Gnarly ruts. COMBINED WITH MUD!

And ending with MORE RUTS! DAMMIT!

SON OF A BITCH!!!
Oh by the way. Half of those ruts and smear marks? Those were my tires. And my ASS. And my pelican case. Yea. You heard me. Kiss my ass dirt!

My bike was loving this shit.

And my bike (Klous) kicked that muds ass. NOT the other way around.

Me? I got dirty THROUGH my helmet. Hell yes. Love this!

However, my pelican case didnít enjoy the tryst we had with the dirt. In fact, it hated it. Damn dirt bent the hell out of my luggage rack. And cracked it in two places.

And the other side of the damage.

And what it SHOULD look like.

Other side.

The next gas station was literally across the street from the crash site. Best part, and the part I didnít photograph was the little boy that ran across the street and unabashedly starting hawking his wares. A cooler full of tamales. I didnít buy any buy Sarah did. He got some gum off of Charlie and Tom, and laughed when they took a picture of my dirty pants. He was a goofy little kid, probably about 7 years old. Loving life when we 4 gringos slid into town. Pun intended. Damn kids do the darndest things.
Well, after that, I rode slow(er) as the bottom of my right side pelican case mount is now nonexistent, and my rack is bent to all hell. And we rode to Rosario, which apparently is the last gas before we are able to ride to La Bahia de Los Angeles. So we stopped for the night.

Ugh. My shit is all wacked out now.

But it doesnít matter, because it wonít cost much to fix the problem, and it wonít be hard either. But dammit. Itís a pain in the rear for sure.

Soooo. How did it happen? Iíll start at the beginning.

I was hauling along the road, cruising safely at about 60-65 mph. Not an issue. Well that road along the side of the road looked fun. So I wanted to ride on it. It was great fun for the first mile or so. But it was a bit gnarly too. So I got back on the road. Well. Charlie thought it was a good idea too. So he hopped on the road too. You saw the photos above. Well, I thought Iíd better get back on that dirt.
And so I did. And shortly thereafter, I was moving along at a good clip. Until I saw the mud, and it was too late. I didnít slow down. I simply chose what I thought would be the best route. And I think it was. I was going about 60mph, if not a bit faster. And suddenly I was sliding along quite nicely on my right side. My front tire hit the ruts, but my back tire slid up above it. I went down fast, low siding it. Getting very dirty along the way. Grinding an edge into my pelican case. Letting my Revíit Sand pants take the abrasion out of my ass.
My Pelican case saved my bike. No damage to the bike whatsoever. I slid about 250 feet before I hit a very small stump at about 5mph. The damn stump is what did the damage to my pannier rack. I had slid free and clear for quite a while, and it wasnít until the stump that anything major happened. I hit the stump, and was knocked loose from my bike. I had been riding it out the entire time until I hit the stump. The bike went down, and I slid perpendicular to the road. About ĺ of the way into it, I began to spin clockwise until my bike had spun 180 degrees, at which point the stump inserted itself into the equation, and I let go/was removed from my bike. My head hit the ground in a very MINOR way, and I was instantly up to lift my bike off the ground.
The bike started and ran well. Nothing besides the pannier mount was bent. My helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, and boots were intact. I was fine. Even now, even 6 hours later, I am not even sore. Excellent. Tom and I had discussed who would be first. I was first. Success.
Mom and Dad. Iím not coming home soon. The bike still runs. I am physically well. The bike needs little fixing. Donít be scared/worried. It was fun. Enjoy it with me! Thatís why we ride ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time).
Charlie was the only person to witness the slide, and had just turned off his helmet cam. What a shame. He admitted later that he was worried that his day was about to get a bit more intense then he had planned it to be. However, I had other plans. Back on the road!
A quote from Charlie, ďI reckon thatíll be the best Stack of the entire trip! Stacking it up at 60mph hardly ever ends in a result like that. Well done! I thought for sure itíd be worse than that!Ē
Woohoo!!!
--Alex
Old 04-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #132
Shellibean
Is my leg on fire?

Oddometer: 12
Here's mud in your eye...

Hey Al! Glad to hear the gear held up and the bike (and you) are still in one piece. Nothing like a little mud to make a fun stretch of road into a treacherous one. They wouldn't call it adventure riding if you went on straight asphalt with no challenges. I'm sure more to come...adventures, that is.
Shellibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #133
nev11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
This RR

I'm in this is good.
nev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #134
LadyCruiser
www.ridingacross.com

Oddometer: 282
Good luck Guys!!
LadyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #135
drJEFFs
Where in the Hell...

Oddometer: 4
fun, fun!

this is awesome, i have been thinking of doing something similar...now that i am laid off. i only have a 1990 dr350s, but i think it could do well. you all are inspiring!!!
drJEFFs is offline   Reply With Quote