User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,891
New guy here saying hello......

Hi folks.I have just found that when I return to work later this year, I will be relocated to Anchorage.

I have a couple of bikes I could bring. The KTM 990 that I have been riding in Latin America for the past couple of years, and a KTM 450, my Baja bike.

Do you have any trail riding suitable for a big bike near Anchorage, or suitable for the 450 as well? My guess is that summer is full of quads and mud, so I am just not sure to what to expect about the riding and the access issues.

Would it be worth it to bring either of these bikes to Anchorage, or should I just embrace the snow and find myself with a new snow machine this winter instead.

In any case, I look forward to meeting some of YFF's later this year.

Saludos.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Skyd1v
ABSRA Co-Co-Founder

Oddometer: 383
The Alaska ATV Club - while mostly geared for ATV's - doesn't discriminate against bikes and could point you towards a number of trails to ride either of those machines on. I myself take the KLR out to the Jim Creek area (miles upon miles of trails) several times a summer. Seen plenty of other bikes out there as well.

From the areas I have ridden off road around here, you can pretty much find any type of trail you want to ride. From "pleasant path through the trees" to "River-fjording, basketball sized rock filled mud pit."

And there are a number of inmates that stud up the tires, dress warm, and keep going past the freezing point. It's all good.

/blue skies

Skyd1v screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 03:10 PM
Skyd1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Gracias amigo. Guess I should bring both the 990 and 450. Hopefully I will be done with training before it gets too cold this fall, or else I will be studding the tires just to get a fix. I'm not big into droning along a wide graded road so the trails will be more my speed, on either bike.

However, it sounds like you can really get properly lost with a snow machine, so there will be one of those in my future I imagine. Do they let you put a license plate on just about anything in Alaska (like a 2 stroke) or has the Sierra Club put an end to that?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd1v View Post
..From the areas I have ridden off road around here, you can pretty much find any type of trail you want to ride.
I've been riding here since... forever. There used to be lots of trails. Not anymore.
Name some of these trails you are talking about that are within 10-15 miles of Anchorage.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I've been riding here since... forever. There used to be lots of trails. Not anymore.
Name some of these trails you are talking about that are within 10-15 miles of Anchorage.
Oooh. Thats not what I wanted to hear. Fookin hell, I wish Alaska was closer to the Mexican border. Youre bumming me out right now an thats sayin something since I am in the land of Happiness, Colombia! Damn, because of that I have to go see my relaxation therapist again tonight.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Tom S
Can I ride it?

[QUOTE=crashmaster;15565318]..I wish Alaska was closer to the Mexican border...QUOTE]WTF? Maybe you should just stay closer to the Mexican border.

As long as we are wishing...
I wish Alaska was more like it was in the late '50s, early 60s before all these F'n people moved in here & shut all this stuff down & took away so much of my personal freedom.
Don't get me started.
Wish in one hand & ......
Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Skyd1v
ABSRA Co-Co-Founder

Quote:
Well, I don't recall saying within 10-15 miles. Normally my trail riding is done over by Jim Creek (about 45 miles), some of the access trails between KGB and Big Lake (about 55 miles, and you gotta be careful about accidentally trespassing), or there are a bunch of trails of varying difficulty up by Sutton. (About 70 miles)

So, yeah, not seeing where I said 10-15 miles. When I first moved up here in the 80s you could get away with riding back around Kincaid, but not even that anymore.

/blue skies
Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
Well, I don't recall saying within 10-15 miles.
You didn't & I didn't claim you did. Just trying to keep it clear & you have now done that.
From Anchorage to those places you mentioned ya gotta hit a fair amount of slab first. Not really something you might do on a daily basis like we used to be able to do right here in town on an unlicensed dirt bike. Right out my driveway & from one side of town to the other. Day after day after day, all summer long.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
As long as we are wishing...
I wish Alaska was more like it was in the late '50s, early 60s before all these F'n people moved in here
Didnt mean to piss you off man. I would rather stay where I'm at near the Mexican border and not move to Alaska, but I dont have a choice in the matter.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Should have mentioned that this was up to about the mid 70s.
Quote:
Right out my driveway & from one side of town to the other. Day after day after day, all summer long.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Skyd1v
ABSRA Co-Co-Founder

Quote:
You didn't & I didn't claim you did. Just trying to keep it clear & you have now done that.
From Anchorage to those places you mentioned ya gotta hit a fair amount of slab first. Not really something you might do on a daily basis like we used to be able to do right here in town on an unlicensed dirt bike.
Which is why I have a KLR. Slab to trail and back - it don't care. Since he mentioned he has a KTM990, he shouldn't have any trouble at all doing same.

The "Baka bike" would need transport though...
Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
Tom S
Can I ride it?

All true. But the KLR & his big KTM aren't really all that great on the kind of trails I'm thinking of.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Got a YZ 250 I can slab to the real trails. Thats is if all those f'ing people that moved there didnt already fuck it up.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
Skyd1v
ABSRA Co-Co-Founder

Quote:
All true. But the KLR & his big KTM aren't really all that great on the kind of trails I'm thinking of.
Well, now, we both seem to be on the same frequency at last. True, I have to pick my trails carefully. A 500 pound bike (more like 600 with all the gee-gaws hung on it) can be...challenging.

So, there it is Crashmaster, a little bit more defined. Easy trails you can ride to, or more challenging terrain that you have to transport a machine to.

Out of curiosity, I am guessing the baja bike is for sand dunes? We have something similar, only the dunes are at the base of glaciers and the "sand" is powdered rock. Fun on an atv, not so much on a klr.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Well, now, we both seem to be on the same frequency at last. True, I have to pick my trails carefully. A 500 pound bike (more like 600 with all the gee-gaws hung on it) can be...challenging.

So, there it is Crashmaster, a little bit more defined. Easy trails you can ride to, or more challenging terrain that you have to transport a machine to.

Out of curiosity, I am guessing the baja bike is for sand dunes? We have something similar, only the dunes are at the base of glaciers and the "sand" is powdered rock. Fun on an atv, not so much on a klr.
Not many dunes in Baja. Lotsa rocks that turns into high speed sand, back to rocks, repeat until you run out of land or crash. I'm gonna miss that place, badly, no more day rides to Mikes...... My 450 eats up highway miles just fine as well.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-01-2011 at 09:36 PM