User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Torquemaster
Who cares wins!

Oddometer: 25
Suzuki vs Varadero ?

I gree that Honda is a better product but its much heavier than the Vstrom. I looked at both in the spring of 09 and then a big dealer decided to blow the DL 1000 remaining 08s out at $8,600. No real decision really with the Honda,s then sitting at $16,999 . Over $8,000 diference buys lots of gas. Went for the Vstrom and its a great bike.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I had considered going to Calgary for a Varadero. However it was just a lot of work, and with trade it was easier to get the Ducati. Loved the VTR 1000, bet it was a good engine in the trailie too.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
Humbucker OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I wonder if Honda Canada has considered not bringing in any more new Varaderos since it looks like they haven't exactly been selling like hotcakes here in Canada. That would be a shame, it looks like a great product, they just have to get real and bring them in at a significantly lower price then say a BMW GS or Ducati Multistrada.

BTW, is it fairly easy to get parts for this bike now even though it hasn't been a huge seller? And in the event of a bike no longer being offered here, would it be really hard to get parts after the fact?
Humbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
HappyPuppy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Neil Johnston did a trip down to Baja on them
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/06...-and-rosarito/

IMO they are very much like the wee-stroms. Nice bikes, good for 90/10 or 85/15 if you are skilled and use the right tires. Not a bad looking bike to me
HappyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 353
Honda Varadero

Why not just bring back the TransAlp while not as light as the wee its a lot lighter than the Varadero...better yet start making the African Twin again
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
There's a Dl650 for sale in Halifax. Farkled, $6k, FWIW. Troll Craigslist.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #22
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post
BTW, is it fairly easy to get parts for this bike now even though it hasn't been a huge seller? And in the event of a bike no longer being offered here, would it be really hard to get parts after the fact?
I think legally they are obligated to carry parts for a few years even after they discontinued the bike. A few parts are interchangeable with other Honda bikes and as last resort you have some great mail order services in Europe that will happily work with you.

Don't forget, with the Varadero you are buying a bike that has a limited but fanatic following and that will eventually translate into good $$$ to you if it comes to resale value. In that sense you are buying more of an "asset" that you can use for fun.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Humbucker OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question

With quite a few leftover 2008 Varaderos for sale out there, I was wondering if Honda had come out with any significant improvements to this bike in subsequent years.
Humbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Never thought Varadero at the origingal asking price, it was wayyyyyyy to steep. Now at 10K or an 08 and 12K for an 09 I am thinking its a hot dam nice bike, and well worth the money.

I just bought a new GSA, at about 21/2 times the price....sure not worth 21/2 times the money. I did a close look at the Varadero yesterday and to me they look great, the stroms as good as they are do nothing for me. Buy the Honda, never hurts to have a few more ponies for a mostly road bike.
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 148
Varadero

I bought a 2009 Varadero for $12k last August after writing off my VTR1000 because of a deer impact. I have only ever owned sport bikes, but being 47 years old now I wanted something a little more comfortable. I love this bike, it handles well enough that it can go as fast as I want to go on the public road. I also have a dedicated trackday bike (2000 CBR929) if I want to go knee-dragging. I have always been able to get 400-450km to a tank, it is very comfortable and is great for having a passenger, short of a Goldwing. I have taken it on a few forestry/logging roads and it does well enough. I have little dirt experience so I am not pushing it very much, but as there are endless forestry roads where I live it gives me a whole new motorcycling dimension. It is likely the same where you live. The video link in one of the previous replies "Baja: Tropic of Cancer" sums it up pretty well. I think it's an awesome bike for the money even at $12k. Happy decision making.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post
With quite a few leftover 2008 Varaderos for sale out there, I was wondering if Honda had come out with any significant improvements to this bike in subsequent years.

The subsequent years are identical other than color schemes. A neighbour of mine has a 2008, I have a 2009, they are the same bike. With the new V4 powered Honda adventure tourer coming out in the near future I doubt if Honda will be upgrading the bike much until the end of production. I can't see Honda having two large capacity Adventure bikes.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPuppy View Post
Neil Johnston did a trip down to Baja on them
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/06...-and-rosarito/

IMO they are very much like the wee-stroms. Nice bikes, good for 90/10 or 85/15 if you are skilled and use the right tires. Not a bad looking bike to me
To be honest, the Wee-Strom is a much better adventure bike. The Varadero was at best "ok" on the road, but soon as we got into the sand in the Baja it was a massive let down... and that was a weight joke. The big Honda's mass is greater than that of an R1200GS Adventure, without the BMW's offroad capability. The biggest redeeming quality is that v-twin engine, it's not fuel efficient, but it is torque-taculous.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #28
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelDrive View Post
To be honest, the Wee-Strom is a much better adventure bike. The Varadero was at best "ok" on the road, but soon as we got into the sand in the Baja it was a massive let down... and that was a weight joke. The big Honda's mass is greater than that of an R1200GS Adventure, without the BMW's offroad capability. The biggest redeeming quality is that v-twin engine, it's not fuel efficient, but it is torque-taculous.
And with even the Wee-Strom being a better adventure bike, it has to be priced at about the $6000 Cand. to make it sellable. I can't see how they ever move these 2008 Varaderos at anything above that price.

At $6000, it would make an ok pavement bike for those who are on a budget and will overlook the weight.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #29
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,258
The Honda dealership near me ordered two Varaderos, but couldn't move either of them. The owner told me to just make him an offer, he'd even let them go significantly below his cost to get them out of the showroom, where they'd sat for 18 months. I test rode one and really liked it, but I bought a KTM. I think you could safely say they bombed here.

2007 KTM Adventure 990
HD Road King (SOLD! Now get off my back Junac and McCadders)
Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I bought a 2009 Varadero for $12k last August after writing off my VTR1000 because of a deer impact. I have only ever owned sport bikes, but being 47 years old now I wanted something a little more comfortable. I love this bike, it handles well enough that it can go as fast as I want to go on the public road. I also have a dedicated trackday bike (2000 CBR929) if I want to go knee-dragging. I have always been able to get 400-450km to a tank, it is very comfortable and is great for having a passenger, short of a Goldwing. I have taken it on a few forestry/logging roads and it does well enough. I have little dirt experience so I am not pushing it very much, but as there are endless forestry roads where I live it gives me a whole new motorcycling dimension. It is likely the same where you live. The video link in one of the previous replies "Baja: Tropic of Cancer" sums it up pretty well. I think it's an awesome bike for the money even at $12k. Happy decision making.

It's been my experience that those I have spoken to that have a Varadero have all been older, experienced riders that wanted something with excellent road manners and the occasional dirt road or rough road use. Somewhat surprisingly, a number have come from a BMW GS. I had access to a 1200 for close to year before getting my Varadero, and I much prefer it to the BMW. In both road use, comfort, and reliability. The big V-twin is also much of the appeal.

I must admit I like the colour of your '09 more so than my silver '08. I see more Varaderos now than other new adventure bikes, and the dark metallic gold colour really sets it apart.

Terry

edit: I hope you recovered from your deer impact. I know it can be a very bad experience. June 9th, 2004 for me. I don't remember, and I suppose that's good.

varaman screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 01:08 PM
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote