ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
Torquemaster
Who cares wins!
 
Torquemaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Brrrrrrrrrrrrr Columbia
Oddometer: 25
Suzuki vs Varadero ?

I gree that Honda is a better product but its much heavier than the Vstrom. I looked at both in the spring of 09 and then a big dealer decided to blow the DL 1000 remaining 08s out at $8,600. No real decision really with the Honda,s then sitting at $16,999 . Over $8,000 diference buys lots of gas. Went for the Vstrom and its a great bike.
__________________
Who cares wins !
Torquemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ramv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Castle Rock, Co
Oddometer: 448
I had considered going to Calgary for a Varadero. However it was just a lot of work, and with trade it was easier to get the Ducati. Loved the VTR 1000, bet it was a good engine in the trailie too.
__________________
'10 Multistrada 1200 Std ('11 - current) for sale
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post23383292

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
Humbucker OP
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 8
I wonder if Honda Canada has considered not bringing in any more new Varaderos since it looks like they haven't exactly been selling like hotcakes here in Canada. That would be a shame, it looks like a great product, they just have to get real and bring them in at a significantly lower price then say a BMW GS or Ducati Multistrada.

BTW, is it fairly easy to get parts for this bike now even though it hasn't been a huge seller? And in the event of a bike no longer being offered here, would it be really hard to get parts after the fact?
Humbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
HappyPuppy
Adventurer
 
HappyPuppy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 34
Neil Johnston did a trip down to Baja on them
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/06...-and-rosarito/

IMO they are very much like the wee-stroms. Nice bikes, good for 90/10 or 85/15 if you are skilled and use the right tires. Not a bad looking bike to me
HappyPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Alberta Rockies
Oddometer: 353
Honda Varadero

Why not just bring back the TransAlp while not as light as the wee its a lot lighter than the Varadero...better yet start making the African Twin again
__________________
96 DR 650,,87 XL600V,89 DR 750 Big,77 Montesa Cota 247,77 TY 250,76 TY175,76 TL 250,75 CT90
KilgoreTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff
 
Moving Pictures's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: God's Country, New Brunswick
Oddometer: 8,566
There's a Dl650 for sale in Halifax. Farkled, $6k, FWIW. Troll Craigslist.
__________________
People before prophets.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #22
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a
 
A-Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post
BTW, is it fairly easy to get parts for this bike now even though it hasn't been a huge seller? And in the event of a bike no longer being offered here, would it be really hard to get parts after the fact?
I think legally they are obligated to carry parts for a few years even after they discontinued the bike. A few parts are interchangeable with other Honda bikes and as last resort you have some great mail order services in Europe that will happily work with you.

Don't forget, with the Varadero you are buying a bike that has a limited but fanatic following and that will eventually translate into good $$$ to you if it comes to resale value. In that sense you are buying more of an "asset" that you can use for fun.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Humbucker OP
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 8
Question

With quite a few leftover 2008 Varaderos for sale out there, I was wondering if Honda had come out with any significant improvements to this bike in subsequent years.
Humbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
drbike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: North West BC
Oddometer: 232
Never thought Varadero at the origingal asking price, it was wayyyyyyy to steep. Now at 10K or an 08 and 12K for an 09 I am thinking its a hot dam nice bike, and well worth the money.

I just bought a new GSA, at about 21/2 times the price....sure not worth 21/2 times the money. I did a close look at the Varadero yesterday and to me they look great, the stroms as good as they are do nothing for me. Buy the Honda, never hurts to have a few more ponies for a mostly road bike.
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman
 
marloweluke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Kootenay
Oddometer: 148
Varadero

I bought a 2009 Varadero for $12k last August after writing off my VTR1000 because of a deer impact. I have only ever owned sport bikes, but being 47 years old now I wanted something a little more comfortable. I love this bike, it handles well enough that it can go as fast as I want to go on the public road. I also have a dedicated trackday bike (2000 CBR929) if I want to go knee-dragging. I have always been able to get 400-450km to a tank, it is very comfortable and is great for having a passenger, short of a Goldwing. I have taken it on a few forestry/logging roads and it does well enough. I have little dirt experience so I am not pushing it very much, but as there are endless forestry roads where I live it gives me a whole new motorcycling dimension. It is likely the same where you live. The video link in one of the previous replies "Baja: Tropic of Cancer" sums it up pretty well. I think it's an awesome bike for the money even at $12k. Happy decision making.
__________________
WITHOUT RISK........THERE IS NO ADVENTURE
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman
 
marloweluke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: East Kootenay
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker View Post
With quite a few leftover 2008 Varaderos for sale out there, I was wondering if Honda had come out with any significant improvements to this bike in subsequent years.

The subsequent years are identical other than color schemes. A neighbour of mine has a 2008, I have a 2009, they are the same bike. With the new V4 powered Honda adventure tourer coming out in the near future I doubt if Honda will be upgrading the bike much until the end of production. I can't see Honda having two large capacity Adventure bikes.
__________________
WITHOUT RISK........THERE IS NO ADVENTURE
marloweluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
OneWheelDrive
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OneWheelDrive's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPuppy View Post
Neil Johnston did a trip down to Baja on them
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/06...-and-rosarito/

IMO they are very much like the wee-stroms. Nice bikes, good for 90/10 or 85/15 if you are skilled and use the right tires. Not a bad looking bike to me
To be honest, the Wee-Strom is a much better adventure bike. The Varadero was at best "ok" on the road, but soon as we got into the sand in the Baja it was a massive let down... and that was a weight joke. The big Honda's mass is greater than that of an R1200GS Adventure, without the BMW's offroad capability. The biggest redeeming quality is that v-twin engine, it's not fuel efficient, but it is torque-taculous.
__________________
Neil Johnston
Tiger 800XC and Tiger Explorer 1200 Review Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4fbnw6De24
OneWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #28
Rick West
Function not Farkles
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Out West For Awhile
Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelDrive View Post
To be honest, the Wee-Strom is a much better adventure bike. The Varadero was at best "ok" on the road, but soon as we got into the sand in the Baja it was a massive let down... and that was a weight joke. The big Honda's mass is greater than that of an R1200GS Adventure, without the BMW's offroad capability. The biggest redeeming quality is that v-twin engine, it's not fuel efficient, but it is torque-taculous.
And with even the Wee-Strom being a better adventure bike, it has to be priced at about the $6000 Cand. to make it sellable. I can't see how they ever move these 2008 Varaderos at anything above that price.

At $6000, it would make an ok pavement bike for those who are on a budget and will overlook the weight.
__________________
KTM 990 - The only real "dual" sport in the big Adventure bike class
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #29
Patrol
VALE 46!
 
Patrol's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Mogadishu, Canada
Oddometer: 1,258
The Honda dealership near me ordered two Varaderos, but couldn't move either of them. The owner told me to just make him an offer, he'd even let them go significantly below his cost to get them out of the showroom, where they'd sat for 18 months. I test rode one and really liked it, but I bought a KTM. I think you could safely say they bombed here.
__________________
------------------------------------------------

2007 KTM Adventure 990
HD Road King (SOLD! Now get off my back Junac and McCadders)
Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #30
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
I bought a 2009 Varadero for $12k last August after writing off my VTR1000 because of a deer impact. I have only ever owned sport bikes, but being 47 years old now I wanted something a little more comfortable. I love this bike, it handles well enough that it can go as fast as I want to go on the public road. I also have a dedicated trackday bike (2000 CBR929) if I want to go knee-dragging. I have always been able to get 400-450km to a tank, it is very comfortable and is great for having a passenger, short of a Goldwing. I have taken it on a few forestry/logging roads and it does well enough. I have little dirt experience so I am not pushing it very much, but as there are endless forestry roads where I live it gives me a whole new motorcycling dimension. It is likely the same where you live. The video link in one of the previous replies "Baja: Tropic of Cancer" sums it up pretty well. I think it's an awesome bike for the money even at $12k. Happy decision making.

It's been my experience that those I have spoken to that have a Varadero have all been older, experienced riders that wanted something with excellent road manners and the occasional dirt road or rough road use. Somewhat surprisingly, a number have come from a BMW GS. I had access to a 1200 for close to year before getting my Varadero, and I much prefer it to the BMW. In both road use, comfort, and reliability. The big V-twin is also much of the appeal.

I must admit I like the colour of your '09 more so than my silver '08. I see more Varaderos now than other new adventure bikes, and the dark metallic gold colour really sets it apart.





Terry

edit: I hope you recovered from your deer impact. I know it can be a very bad experience. June 9th, 2004 for me. I don't remember, and I suppose that's good.

varaman screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 01:08 PM
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014