User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #31
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Terry

edit: I hope you recovered from your deer impact. I know it can be a very bad experience. June 9th, 2004 for me. I don't remember, and I suppose that's good.[/QUOTE]

Hi Terry,
Yes I was very lucky and walked away. Being a sport rider I was wearing all my track gear which saved the day. Some nerve damage in the palms of my hands, slight numbness is all I have to show for it.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #32
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by marloweluke View Post
Terry

edit: I hope you recovered from your deer impact. I know it can be a very bad experience. June 9th, 2004 for me. I don't remember, and I suppose that's good.

Hi Terry,
Yes I was very lucky and walked away. Being a sport rider I was wearing all my track gear which saved the day. Some nerve damage in the palms of my hands, slight numbness is all I have to show for it.[/QUOTE]

Very good to hear. I was beginning an Alaska trip, wearing full gear, when I struck a deer. Twelve fractures and a severe brain injury, but I eventually got back on the horse.

Glad you made it out OK. Hearing stories where people have struck deer always make me cringe.

Terry
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #33
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,958
I'm just 5'7'' with a 30" inseam and had no prob riding a Varadero. It's a sofa on wheels and would make an excellent two-up tourer that could also handle dirt roads and hammer down paved roads in poor condition.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #34
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
It's sad the varadero didn't get better treatment by Honda Canada as that's what has held it back. In the right hands they sell very well but the Powerhouse car dealerships blew it big time!

It's a great bike and the only way to find out if it's the one for you is go for a ride. There are a lof of people that ride them as true adventure bikes and some that make them scream on track days. It's not fair to say it's not a completly capable bike. It's only fair to say it's not the bike for you.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #35
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
And with even the Wee-Strom being a better adventure bike, it has to be priced at about the $6000 Cand. to make it sellable. I can't see how they ever move these 2008 Varaderos at anything above that price.

At $6000, it would make an ok pavement bike for those who are on a budget and will overlook the weight.
I had a solid look at one a few years ago, but once I looked at the specs versus the cost - it simply couldn't match with the V-Strom series in either price or in function. It was specced at $13k when I saw it, and came with little added extras. At the time, a DL-650 was $8k, and a DL-1000 about 10k, IIRC.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #36
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRANA View Post
It's sad the varadero didn't get better treatment by Honda Canada as that's what has held it back. In the right hands they sell very well but the Powerhouse car dealerships blew it big time!

It's a great bike and the only way to find out if it's the one for you is go for a ride. There are a lof of people that ride them as true adventure bikes and some that make them scream on track days. It's not fair to say it's not a completly capable bike. It's only fair to say it's not the bike for you.

Hell, there are some Canadian cities and large towns that don't even have a Powerhouse dealer. I know it's angered a number of motorcycle dealers that sell Honda products that haven't been allowed to carry them. I'm fortunate that my dealer is a Powerhouse store that's not hundreds of kilometers away. The Varadero is actually one of his strongest sellers. He's been heavily involved with adventure riding for decades, and is still actively involved with the sport. Due to his experience, I believe his is also the only dealership that was not forced to include automotive sales to receive the Powerhouse certification. His dealership bought all the Varaderos remaining in the warehouse as he moves them quite easily.

Terry
Old 04-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #37
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
I had a solid look at one a few years ago, but once I looked at the specs versus the cost - it simply couldn't match with the V-Strom series in either price or in function.
Correct. The price will continue to drop and one day they will have finally sold off the 08 models that are still sitting for the last 3 years in showrooms. Then the work starts on how to sell off the 09 models. Again, I guess that a very low price will be the only way to get that done.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #38
STRANA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Honda has been sold out of '08 models since last year at the warehouse. The ones that are sitting collecting dust are ones at Powerhouse dealers that want full MSRP. The places selling them are setting the right price and some are selling off ones all kitted out with the twisted throttle catalog. The failing of the product was the failing of Honda Corp. Canada and their Powerhouse Dealers. The most upsetting part is there is no sign they are ever going to fix the problem.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #39
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 283
The Varadero is enormous, it makes my dl1000 feel spry. I am not sure what you really get for the extras size and weight.
Nnordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #40
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
The ones that are sitting collecting dust are ones at Powerhouse dealers that want full MSRP.
These bikes did not sell in 08, 09, 10 and now it is 2011 and they are still available. What would make someone buy one now other than a very low price.

The Varadero needs to be priced to reflect that it is a old model and at the bottom of the list of large dual sports bikes. Asking for more than the Strom series sell for will mean another year of dust collecting on those Powerhouse dealer's sales floors.

You would think by now, four years after they were imported to Canada that Honda would just slash the price and get them sold. Expecting them to sell at anything over $6000 is crazy.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #41
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Honda has been sold out of '08 models since last year at the warehouse. The ones that are sitting collecting dust are ones at Powerhouse dealers that want full MSRP. The places selling them are setting the right price and some are selling off ones all kitted out with the twisted throttle catalog. The failing of the product was the failing of Honda Corp. Canada and their Powerhouse Dealers. The most upsetting part is there is no sign they are ever going to fix the problem.

Hey Strana

The 09s and 10s are also gone from the warehouse. The only ones left are now at the dealers. My local dealership is trying to buy as much as they can from other dealers as well, but there no longer seems to be much left. They have no problems selling them, and often to be outfitted as you say.

Personally, I'm getting a little envious seeing all the orange '09s I see on the road. That colour really appeals to me over the silver or black.

Terry
Old 08-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #42
rodent34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
varadero

Well i work at a powerhouse in mississauga i just picked up a 08 demo for under 9 grand we do have a few 09s in stock. I took it for a ride and i loved it i had just got a 09 VTX1300 last year and now i selling it i will say yes the varadero is a big bike. But it dose handle well as for gas you can get around 320km if your not getting on it all the time lol.
rodent34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #43
JGBguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I've had some time with my Varadero and yes its growing on me. I got a new 08 late last year, I've put 17K KM on it and well what can I say .. it has NEVER let me down. This includes on road, lots of Km's of gravel (did a run to James Bay via the North Road and the 'new' road) and some dirt trails. Not sure why this bike didn't become more popular outside of the usual issues of initial price (which I didn't pay), the lack of powerhouse dealers ... either way I don't care, great bike and it takes a beating without complaint.

While I'm teetering on the edge of rant ... before buying the bike I hear that the Vara is 'more street oriented'. Might be true but get a set of knobbies and blast away for a couple of days off road and tell what the issue is, the Varadero has been great! I, like most ALL folks on these type of bikes, I ride mostly on road ... and yes it great for that, so maybe that is why the comment?

As for fuel, I'm consistently getting 390Km's at an average speed around 120Km's indicated (which is inaccurate) with a full load of gear (side and top box) ... mind you that's on fumes but still, it works.
JGBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #44
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
The Varadero has been popular in Europe since 1999. It's a good bike, but they overpriced it and selling them only through car dealers was a very bad idea. I think that's why it bombed.

There are many good bikes out there that are not selling very well because of bad marketing decisions.
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #45
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
I owned a grey market 5 speed carb model Varadero and loved bike. Sold only because registering in CA was out. So I moved on to a DL650 and then a DL1000. They are all good.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote