Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
606XXZIP OP
NAVVET

Oddometer: 228
Do it yourself LED Auxillary "Riding" Lights

Materials
$24.95, 1 pair 55w Halogen driving lights
$24.95, 1 pair Memphis Shades Windshield Brackets
$10.00, 1 pair 4watt LED MR16 12v Bulb Brightness = approx 50W Halogen incandescent Light

Total investment about $70 including freight

I removed the 55w Halogen bulbs from the housings and replaced with the LED MR16 bulbs I bought from Ebay.

Modifications - Remove socket that was used for the Halogen bulbs, drill out the back of the housing, and soldered the wires directly to the pins on the LED bulbs. I had to do this because the LED MR16 bulbs from China did not plug into the sockets. They should have been a direct plug in but were not. Probably because they were from a China wholesaler and pretty cheap. You may not have to do this if the MR16 bulb you buy fits properly like it should. Also, I sealed the glass lens on the lamp to the inside of the chrome trim ring with a hot glue gun. If I need to replace the lamp I can just break off the glue.

IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO PURCHASE THE EBAY LAMPS ABOVE THEN JUST MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE AN LED MR16 w/GX 5.3 Base WITH A SOLID GLASS LENS (SOME ARE OPEN IN FRONT AND DON'T HAVE A SOLID LENS)

Ebay also had 6 and 8 watt LED bulbs - If you hate Ebay then Oh well ! These lamps are extremely cheap and work well for this application.

I used the 4 watt (4 x 1watt LED) which are about 360 lumen each.

The whole setup is drawing only about 0.66 amps from my electrical system compared to 8 amps using the 55w Halogen lamps

I own Moto Lumination LED lighting but I don't sell these. I just made them for my own use and posted this to help others.

You can make them too !

NOTE - LUMEN OUTPUT IS MISLEADING. THE RATING TO BE CONCERNED WITH IS DELIVERED LUMENS. DELIVERED LUMEN IS THE AMOUNT OF LIGHT THAT ACTUALLY GETS DELIVERED TO A GIVEN POINT. IT IS HUGELY DEPENDANT ON AVAILABLE LUMENS AND HOW IT IS FOCUSED (BEAM ANGLE) EXITING THE LIGHT FIXTURE. LUMEN OUTPUT IS AN OVERALL OUTPUT RATING AND DEPENDING ON THE LIGHT SOURCE, MUCH OF THE LIGHT IS SCATTERED AND USELESS. BASICALLY YOU NEED TO GET THOSE PHOTONS FLYING FORWARD TOWARDS YOUR INTENDED AREA OF LUMINATION.

** SINCE WE ALL DON'T HAVE A METHOD TO MEASURE THE LIGHT ON OUR MOTORCYCLES JUST GO BY HOW THEY LOOK AND WHAT YOU WANT. THESE LIGHTS I MADE FOR MYSELF WORK FINE FOR ME AND MY RIDING STYLE **

MORE PICTURES

606XXZIP screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 05:34 PM
606XXZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Boingo
Comfortably road numb

Oddometer: 190
Outstanding!
Boingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
I love the fork brackets! Nice work.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,369
cool project ! ....
+1 for the fork brackets !
Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 598
EXCELLENT! How's the light pattern?
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
606XXZIP OP
NAVVET

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post
EXCELLENT! How's the light pattern?
The lights pattern is surprisingly very smooth and spread out. These are spot lights but still are fairly wide patterned. I will post night time pics once the weather gets better.

The fork brackets make the project very affordable. Notice the machined fork bracket that I used for the steering damper. Those brackets cost around $50 each. The Memphis Shade Windshield bracket works great and comes with SS hardware that will not rust.

** ALL THE PARTS THAT I USED CAME IN THE KITS THAT I LISTED ABOVE.
EXCEPT: I DID ALSO BUY RUBBER GROMMETS FOR THE BACK OF THE HOUSING WHERE THE WIRE EXITS ($1.25/LOWE'S)**

606XXZIP screwed with this post 04-03-2011 at 10:16 AM
Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
WOW I'm gonna try this...looks like a great cheap mod for conspicuity and gobs of light for nightriding.

Did you just wire this to a switched source, high beams, or to a seperate switch?

I'll probably run them off of a switched source since they draw such low power, but it would be nice to turn them off if needed.

Also, can you tell me how big the hole is in the back and how big the power cable is to the lights?

I live in Germany and finding specific hardware can be a pain (no lowe's or home depot). The other day I went to "praktiker" and they had a hard time figuring our what weatherstripping was. They didn't have it. (weatherproofing an action packer).

Anyways, I was gonna order the grommets online, but I want to make sure I get the right size.

Thanks again for posting this! great idea!
jazzdrum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Just ordered the bulbs. Going to try a project like this for the Tiger.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

I'm also wondering how these will hold up without any way for the LED's to radiate heat...being 4 x 1 watt, it's probably not a big deal huh? I see the LED lights that are 5 watts and beyond with all kinds of heatsinks built in.

What would the benifits be of using one of the mr16 bulns with 48 small LED's instead of one of the cree LED's with 1-4 large LED's?

besides being cheaper...I wonder if they emit less heat.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
606XXZIP OP
NAVVET

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdrum69 View Post
I'm also wondering how these will hold up without any way for the LED's to radiate heat...being 4 x 1 watt, it's probably not a big deal huh? I see the LED lights that are 5 watts and beyond with all kinds of heatsinks built in.

The lights I made are only drawing about 1/3 amp each (4watt / 12vdc = .333amps).

They do not radiate much heat. Remember the housing is steel and will sink some of the heat. The lights are used at night when the ambient temps are cool - usually around 70F

What would the benifits be of using one of the mr16 bulns with 48 small LED's instead of one of the cree LED's with 1-4 large LED's?

besides being cheaper...I wonder if they emit less heat.
It depends on how efficient the LED is at converting electricity to useable light.
More wattage = more heat.
Less efficiency = more heat.
It is all related.

My lights are warm to the touch but not scalding hot.
The original 55w Halogens get so hot they will burn your skin off.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
606XXZIP OP
NAVVET

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdrum69 View Post
WOW I'm gonna try this...looks like a great cheap mod for conspicuity and gobs of light for nightriding.

Did you just wire this to a switched source, high beams, or to a seperate switch?

I'll probably run them off of a switched source since they draw such low power, but it would be nice to turn them off if needed.

Also, can you tell me how big the hole is in the back and how big the power cable is to the lights?

I live in Germany and finding specific hardware can be a pain (no lowe's or home depot). The other day I went to "praktiker" and they had a hard time figuring our what weatherstripping was. They didn't have it. (weatherproofing an action packer).

Anyways, I was gonna order the grommets online, but I want to make sure I get the right size.

Thanks again for posting this! great idea!
The 55w halogen kit will come with all wiring, a toggle switch, and a fuse.
Again - IF your MR16 lamp plugs in correctly into the socket then you have no modifications to do.

If you need to remove the socket and drill out the back of the housing. I suggest using 18ga wire to power the LED lamp and drill the hole to about 3/8" dia.

Insert a 3/8" rubber grommet so the wires don't rub and cut on the metal edge of the housing.

606XXZIP screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 01:17 PM
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
jazzdrum69
Adventurer

thanx for the help 606xzip this should work nicely...I've been eyeing the Denali lighting kit on twisted throttle but it's just too much.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
606XXZIP OP
NAVVET

I just wanted a little more light so I made these.

Depends on what you are aiming for.

I didn't want to spend $299.00 for LED auxillary lights either.

Nor do I want the hassle of HID lights with their ballasts and all that wiring.

LEDs run straight off the 12vdc

PLEASE POST PICTURES IF YOU MAKE THESE LIGHTS.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
MK96xj
100% Seat Time

Oddometer: 403
I am going to give this a try. I ordered the LEDs today for $1/ea. 4 light and shipping for $20.

I already have the light housings that I used with the halogens. I would recommend putting a set screw in the front twist ring of the housing as I have lost 2.

I will post up some pics once I get this done.

I have been considering other LED lighting but this is so cheap it is worth the trial.
MK96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
606XXZIP OP
NAVVET

I see your point about the set screw but I actually glued the lamp to the chrome trim ring so if it comes loose it can't fall off the bike.

I would suggest using a small dab of clear silicone on the trim ring. Strong enough to keep it from falling off but you can still break the seal and twist off later if need be to change the lamp.

All good ideas.