Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #46
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_twin View Post
SO, I have some miles on my TE449 and I need oil filters and a service manual.........Oil filters are not a problem, but the service manual is proving to be a tricky thing to get my hands on. Anybody have any ideas?
Have you tried calling UPTITE, MOTOXOTICA, HALL'S???

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #47
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Have you tried calling UPTITE, MOTOXOTICA, HALL'S???
Dan is looking into it, but I am hoping to find someone with a copy of it now. There are a few things I am curious about, including the word FAIL on the dash every now and then.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #48
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
200 mile update

I have had my 449 for just under 3 weeks now and have put 200 miles on it. I have been riding single track in northern California and am absolutely loving the bike. I was not sure I would like it for the single track I ride as much as I like my YZ250, but to my surprise it is just as good as the YZ.

I have not touched the suspension yet, and am sure the bike will get better once I get it a little more dialed in. It handles surprisingly welll for its size and weight in the tight stuff, and the CTS is no gimmick. I have had no issues with traction in any conditions and this on the the stock Karoo.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #49
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
I'm interested in any feed back from owners who have changed from the BMW 450 to the 449. I'll be looking at changing next year
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #50
robotsthrowingrocks
pray for snow

Oddometer: 105
It looks like I am picking up a 2011 TE449 tomorrow. I'm having a bitch of a time finding radiator guards for it though. All I've really found are the excellent looking Force Accessories ones, but they are pretty spendy since they need to be shipped from Australia. Just shy of $200.

Is there a better option out there, or should I just sack it up and order them? Any other must haves?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #51
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
I just received the latest issue of Dirt Bike and they reviewed a version of this bike and really liked it.
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #52
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsthrowingrocks View Post
It looks like I am picking up a 2011 TE449 tomorrow. I'm having a bitch of a time finding radiator guards for it though. All I've really found are the excellent looking Force Accessories ones, but they are pretty spendy since they need to be shipped from Australia. Just shy of $200.

Is there a better option out there, or should I just sack it up and order them? Any other must haves?
I was advised by BMW not to fit these types of guards to my 450 or my 650 as it stops air flow and may void the warranty
Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #53
zenriding
Traveler

Oddometer: 14
Picked up a TE449 today

Just picked up my TE-449 today. Rode it around the streets and it handles great! Can't wait to take it to Metcalf to try some dirt.
zenriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #54
robotsthrowingrocks
pray for snow

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiAdventure View Post
I was advised by BMW not to fit these types of guards to my 450 or my 650 as it stops air flow and may void the warranty
Interesting. I don't have a warranty, so that part isn't a big deal. If it does stop airflow though, that would be bad. Seeing as tons of bikes use them (including my 01 KTM 400), I'm surprised they suggested that. My dealer heavily suggested buying some. Of course, dealers don't always know what they are talking about when it comes to the aftermarket. What is your personal take on it?

So I guess the question is... whats worse? Smashing a radiator or reducing it's airflow?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #55
martya
n00b

Oddometer: 4
TE-449 TE 630 TE-310 - and others

Tested 2011 Husky 310, 449, 630 all on familiar territory.

I've had a bunch of BMW 1100, 1150, 1200 GS's, have a x650 Xchallenge set up as dual sport, and have used most of the Japanese 250-400-650's at one time or the other. I've also had several BMW F650's.

The TE-449 is definitely *not* the BMW 450. It handles much more like a 250 frame with great torque and better stability. It takes corners more like "carving" than skidding.

I absolutely loved the bike and if I did not have the XChallenge (set up right), I would have gotten the TE 449 in a heartbeat.

The TE 630 was even more of a surprise. It is much easier to handle than my 650 Xchallenge. Feels more like a 450 but with a smooth torquey motor. The Xchallenge is like long skis with no sidecut - you go straight down the mountain. The TE 630 is like a great pair of responsive Giant Slalom skis - you can go many different places on the mountain - fast.

If the TE 630 had decent touring kit, I would think about changing my X Challenge to the TE 630....but I like the 449 better for all around use.

I BOUGHT the TE 310 because I was really looking for a 250 - and the 310 weighs 235 pounds but has power very close to e 400cc bike.

I rode the TE 310 on its first long (190 mile) dirt road and desert single track through New Mexico yesterday, into the night. It was spectacular.

I even got stuck in about 20 miles of the red clay dust/silt that builds up in irrigation zones around the Rio Grande - which is like red talcum powder - and the bike was totally fine.

(I am not a very skilled dirt rider - I just manage to get there over long distances and have maybe 75,000 miles or more of dirt road riding over most of North America.)

The 310 motor has even more punch than they say (I'm 210 pounds), and even though I had no real experience with the bike, it became "second skin" in about 20 minutes.

The clutch is smooth.

The suspension just perfect for what I do, and in the dark I even "jumped" some surprise washes that I could not see. (That means I felt - did not see - the front tire leave the ground and stayed upright on the other side even though my brain did not fully realize that I had just left the ground. Throttle works. Suspension works. Brain....not so much.).

Given my weight and size, this feels like a well-fitted mountain bicycle with a small rocket motor.

This is a whole new category.

And I would take either the 449 or the 630 in a heartbeat.
martya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #56
DorsetBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Picked my TE449 up on Sunday. Handles rather well on the road, now just need to get some time on the Byways.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 AM   #57
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martya View Post
Tested 2011 Husky 310, 449, 630 all on familiar territory.

I've had a bunch of BMW 1100, 1150, 1200 GS's, have a x650 Xchallenge set up as dual sport, and have used most of the Japanese 250-400-650's at one time or the other. I've also had several BMW F650's.

The TE-449 is definitely *not* the BMW 450. It handles much more like a 250 frame with great torque and better stability. It takes corners more like "carving" than skidding.

I absolutely loved the bike and if I did not have the XChallenge (set up right), I would have gotten the TE 449 in a heartbeat.

The TE 630 was even more of a surprise. It is much easier to handle than my 650 Xchallenge. Feels more like a 450 but with a smooth torquey motor. The Xchallenge is like long skis with no sidecut - you go straight down the mountain. The TE 630 is like a great pair of responsive Giant Slalom skis - you can go many different places on the mountain - fast.

If the TE 630 had decent touring kit, I would think about changing my X Challenge to the TE 630....but I like the 449 better for all around use.

I BOUGHT the TE 310 because I was really looking for a 250 - and the 310 weighs 235 pounds but has power very close to e 400cc bike.

I rode the TE 310 on its first long (190 mile) dirt road and desert single track through New Mexico yesterday, into the night. It was spectacular.

I even got stuck in about 20 miles of the red clay dust/silt that builds up in irrigation zones around the Rio Grande - which is like red talcum powder - and the bike was totally fine.

(I am not a very skilled dirt rider - I just manage to get there over long distances and have maybe 75,000 miles or more of dirt road riding over most of North America.)

The 310 motor has even more punch than they say (I'm 210 pounds), and even though I had no real experience with the bike, it became "second skin" in about 20 minutes.

The clutch is smooth.

The suspension just perfect for what I do, and in the dark I even "jumped" some surprise washes that I could not see. (That means I felt - did not see - the front tire leave the ground and stayed upright on the other side even though my brain did not fully realize that I had just left the ground. Throttle works. Suspension works. Brain....not so much.).

Given my weight and size, this feels like a well-fitted mountain bicycle with a small rocket motor.

This is a whole new category.

And I would take either the 449 or the 630 in a heartbeat.
Mountain bike very light only a few kilos. 449 many many mountain bikes in weight.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #58
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotsthrowingrocks View Post
Interesting. I don't have a warranty, so that part isn't a big deal. If it does stop airflow though, that would be bad. Seeing as tons of bikes use them (including my 01 KTM 400), I'm surprised they suggested that. My dealer heavily suggested buying some. Of course, dealers don't always know what they are talking about when it comes to the aftermarket. What is your personal take on it?

So I guess the question is... whats worse? Smashing a radiator or reducing it's airflow?
Depends on how hot the day is. I don't know of any 450's with damaged radiators in this part of the world. Totally up to you. My thinking is making the bike light not adding parts. My insurance will pay for any damage even trail riding (not racing).
Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #59
zenriding
Traveler

TE 449 Maintenance

Been riding the bike offroad the last two days and just loving it. Checking on the maintenance intervals and it calls for a front fork overhaul at 250 miles or 8 hours. With no service manual available, what would this entail?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #60
zenriding
Traveler

TE 449 Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
As for overall service interval, it would appear Husqvarna has a 6000mile/10,000km rebuilt interval recommended for the TE449/511. I am waiting for confirmation on that with the IT tech dept as there is a misprint in the table found in the owner's manual.

I found clutch life to be VERY good, at over 3600 miles/100 hours the clutch pack was less then 25% worn per the specs from a new pack to minimum thickness.
Were did you get the 6000 mile rebuild interval? Don't see it in any of the Husky literature provided. I've also created a table that shows the recommended scheduled maintenance for motor and chasis. I pulled this from the owners manual.

files.me.com/albertsaenz/ 0j9gmx
files.me.com/albertsaenz/ nn93na
files.me.com/albertsaenz/ 2ey8sq