Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
ponydrvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
Is it true that you can now get a 500 in the 250/400 body?
Not in the US. I've heard rumors that a move was afoot in Europe to change the front end on the Fucco to resemble the 400. It is something you can do youself and many in Netherlands have done already. Most of the disacussion though seems to be not to do so since it was bought because of the "macho " appearance to begin with.

A simple fact though is that the 500 engine simply doesn't fit in place of the 400 with it's additional under seat storage capacity.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
Carol Ann OP
Canción de Domingo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoiz View Post
Is it true that you don't need a motorcycle licence for an mp3 scooter? I heard that you can drive it legally with just a regular drivers license for a car. That goes for the LT version only I think.
Here in NC, you don't need a car or motorcycle license to drive an MP3 although I will probably be keeping motorcycle endorsement.

fs

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Churchill
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Carol Ann OP
Canción de Domingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
Is it true that you can now get a 500 in the 250/400 body?
My 500 has a smaller seat storage than the 400. I also think the 250 has a kick stand, which my 500 doesn't have.

fs

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Churchill
Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
@DudeClone

Much maintenance can be done like with a standard scooter.
But the engine is a modern fuel injected with electronis and software.
And the Roll Lock is hydraulic and quite unusual for a bike mechanic.
thanks, alice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponydrvr View Post
In KY, the MP3 is licensed as a motorcycle. Therefor, a auto license with a motorcycle endorsement or a motorcycle permit is required. KY law requires any powered two wheel vehicle greater than 49.9 cc to be licensed, insured and the operator to be licensed. 49.9 cc and less require a user to be 16 years old and have a motor vehicle operator license. Insurance is also a requirement although registering and licensing is not required.

Most states have similar requirements. That being said, CA, and NJ are notable exceptions to the motorcycle endorsement requirement. I am lead to believe that vehicle registration, licensing, and insurance requirements are consistent with most other states.
not CA. the MP3 is considered a motorcycle here, as is most anything else on two wheels

the MP3 is considered a two wheeler because the front track (or w/e its called) is not wide enough to be considered a "three wheeler" or a reverse trike
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponydrvr View Post
I do most of my own maintenance as well as 3 other MP3's and a couple of Vespa's. I will be happy to discuss maintenance issues with anyone owning one of these.
That's nice of you to offer. Since I'm going to become a "maintainer" of the MP3, I might have to call on you.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 406
They are also great fun on the track! you have to plan your passes wwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy in advance.
Attached Images

aprilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluteSONG View Post
My 500 has a smaller seat storage than the 400. I also think the 250 has a kick stand, which my 500 doesn't have.

fs
the 250 has a center stand, but not a side stand...if that's what you're referring to.

(mine doesn't, anyway...and I'm slowly grinding off the centerstand!)

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
ponydrvr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
the 250 has a center stand, but not a side stand...if that's what you're referring to.

That same observation came up in another forum lately. As best I know though there were not any kickstand version imported into the US. I can't say for certain about Europe but, again it is my understanding that all MP3's were produced with centerstands, not kick stands.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #24
Carol Ann OP
Canción de Domingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob View Post
That's nice of you to offer. Since I'm going to become a "maintainer" of the MP3, I might have to call on you.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #25
Carol Ann OP
Canción de Domingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post

yes, I am referring to a side stand.

There really isn't that much need for the centerstand, seems like. So far, I've mainly used it just in the garage. I do have to say, it's much easier to get on the centerstand than other bikes.

Oh yea, although doesn't have reverse, it can easily be maneuvered backwards!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #26
Carol Ann OP
Canción de Domingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob View Post
And a fab maintainer you are....

Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #27
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,212
Quote:
Oh yea, although doesn't have reverse, it can easily be maneuvered backwards!
One of the great features...just shove it backwards and let it roll as you walk alongside.

I'll do that occasionally just to show off a bit....shove it backwards and walk alongside ready to catch it, while I fasten helmet and put on gloves. So easy to live with.

I love it. The longer I have it, the more I really appreciate all the cool things it does. It's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't lived with one for a while, but it's a really special little beastie.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #28
DRcruiser
Tourin and Scootin

Oddometer: 51
Well about a month ago, the wife decided she wanted to get her own bike and learn to ride. She rode for a short time about 25 years ago. Total riding time was less than a year. She lowsided her bike in front of her then young son and has never riden by herself again. She does great on the back and really likes the Victory Vision.
So I get on line and start looking at bikes and bouncing different ones off her to see for sure what she likes. I find a beautiful, blue, new, left over 09 Vegas. She looks at the photo and LOVES the color.(blue is her favorite) Well we kind of keep looking on line and then she sees a Spider.(a Can-Am not a real one) She really likes the idea of the three wheels and they even have an automatic version! She is pumped! Then she sees the price of a new Spider. So I call the Can Am dealer to see about a possible used one, no luck. We load up in the car to go look at a new Spider knowing the price will be over $20,000. On the way to the dealer we talk and decide that that is just too much money for a bike that won't get riden a great deal.
So I suggest that we stop by a dealer that I know who has a nice selection of used bikes from all manufactures so she can at least get a feel for the size of bike to look at. Now my wife is not a big girl, she is about 5'4" and a 110#. Well the dealer has a few used Victory bikes that she sits on but has an awful time trying to get off the stand. She sits on an older Yamaha 650 and likes it. The bike fit her, she could get it off the side stand and touch flat footed. Cool, now lets go find the salesman and see what the best price is. As we are walking down an isle in the store she sees this and says, THAT IS IT, THAT IS WHAT I WANT!!!! Really?? THAT'S IT!!!! Ok, I'll go find the salesman.
So she has now completed the New Rider Training Course and has her license.
I have got to say, after riding this thing, it is a total BLAST!! What a fun, around town scoot!
Here is the strange thing, after riding hers home from the dealership (because she did not have her license yet,) and riding two up around town so she could get to an empty parking lot to practice, I bought one too!! Now the problem is the Vision sits and I ride this thing all over and having a ball doing it! But the good part is she really likes hers and it is the perfect size for her. I on the other hand am a little big for one but damn, is it fun too ride!!
DRcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Nothing wrong with having a bike AND a scoot! Congratulations!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #30
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Here in NC, you don't need a car or motorcycle license to drive an MP3 although I will probably be keeping motorcycle endorsement.

fs
Hey Flutesong - could you give me the statute that says this? Everything I can find says the MP3 is a motorcycle under NC law.

Sure would be nice to get wifey on one and if a license isn't needed then, the chance increase greatly of that happening! lol

TIA

David